5.0 out of 5 stars Those seeking more knowledge will be disappointed
This book will not make you more knowledgable. Rather, if its message reaches you, it will make you less certain about what you think you know. Let me explain why this is a good thing.
Published on Nov. 7 2003 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Ego
Some of the reviews here, defending the book, are interesting.
Some reviewers would have us believe that those who do not appreciate the book are somehow less than enlightened. Implying, of course, that these reviewers themselves ARE somehow enlightened, and therefore entitled to judge.
And these comments often come from the same people who will fulminate about...
Published on Sept. 17 2003 by A Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Those seeking more knowledge will be disappointed, Nov. 7 2003
Amazon Customer (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Hardcover)
If you consider yourself to be on the spiritual path, it is extremely important to ask yourself what your real motivation is. Do you have a desire to attain to the ultimate bliss? Do you want to feel more secure? Do you want to feel like you have life all figured out? Watch out. If you are still desiring (as most of us are), even if you are desiring something spiritual, you will never attain it. The basic requirement is to be without desire. I don't know about enlightenment, because like most people I still have desires, but I have noticed that when I surrender to life instead of desiring something more, I am much more peaceful and happy.
Oftentimes people start a spiritual search in order to gather more knowledge; they want to formulate a belief system and find "facts" to back it up. This gives a false sense of security, and if you examine it closely, you will realize it is false because all belief does is suppress doubt. If you really know something, belief is unnecessary. Do you have to believe in the sun or the air? There is no need.
The Power of Now will give you much more information to cling to than this book, which is probably why many readers prefer it. The Power of Now is an excellent introduction to Tolle's message and will help you to understand this book better. However, Tolle has wisely made it more difficult to reduce his latest book to a system of beliefs. Instead of knowledge, which is borrowed information, Tolle gives readers their own eyes to see. If you are tired of reading ABOUT living in the moment and are ready to TRY IT OUT, this book is an excellent place to start. I also highly recommend Osho's Book of Secrets, a collection of 112 meditation techniques fully explained.
Let me close by quoting Tolle:
"Do you need more knowledge? Is more information going to save the world, or faster computers, more scientific or intellectual analysis? Is it not wisdom that humanity needs most at this time?
"But what is wisdom and where is it to be found? Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and listen. No more is needed. Being still, looking, and listening activates the non-conceptual intelligence within you. Let stillness direct your words and actions."

5.0 out of 5 stars Stillness Speaks, Sept. 28 2012
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Hardcover)
In the late 1990s Eckhart Tolle shot to fame in the world of contemporary spirituality with the publication of his book The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, and a few years later, with good help from Oprah Winfrey and her book club, his popularity and success moved onto a whole new level with the book A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (Oprah's Book Club, Selection 61). In-between these two excellent books he published another little book that in its own unique way is as good, but not nearly as well-known and popular as it deserves to be. This book is called Stillness Speaks and it is a lovely collection of sutra-like statements centred around some of Eckhart Tolle’s most familiar themes.

The book is divided into 10 chapters, each dealing with a particular subject, such as The Now, Acceptance and Surrender, Silence and Stillness, Nature, Relationships, and Who You Truly Are. These are all subjects that Eckhart Tolle has covered extensively in his two other main books, but the difference here is that instead of writing about each theme in great detail, he writes just short statements which can all be read separately. In other words, you can just open the book anywhere you like and read something, and regardless of what you chance upon, it is bound to be very good, inspiring and enlightening. This book is more suited for quiet introspection, meditation and reflection than for the kind of thorough study and exploration that The Power of Now and A New Earth invite. To give you a feeling of what Stillness Speaks really is about, it might be useful to quote from Eckhart Tolle’s introduction to the book:

“This is not a book to be read from cover to cover and then put away. Live with it, pick it up frequently, and, more importantly, put it down frequently, or spend more time holding it than reading it. Many readers will feel naturally inclined to stop reading after each entry, to pause, reflect, become still. It is always more helpful to stop reading than to continue reading.”

This might seem like a rather strange kind of advice from an author, but the funny thing is that this book, more than any other I’ve come across, really does seem to invite the reader to just hold it, look at it, and thus experience or feel the essence of it. It is a rare book indeed that has the power to induce a state of peace and meditation just by being held, but Stillness Speaks carries that little extra special something. It is a beautiful book in all respects, and one to be loved and treasured over a lifetime. Stillness Speaks may be a small book, but in its own unique way, it is a channel of transformation and authentic spiritual maturity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Important Book I've Read In Years!, Jan. 8 2004
Stephen Remer (Acworth, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Hardcover)
I read a lot as I imagine quite a few people here do. That being said, this is probably the most important book I've read in a decade or more. This book helped me work through some spiritual struggles I've been involved in for some time. It really can point you away from concepts, beliefs, etc. to a true and solid spirituality that actually works in your life.
Having become disillusioned with the many belief-based spiritual paths available today, I began a search for something much more vital and experiential several years ago. In the process, I've done both a lot of reading and a lot of experimenting. I think Eckhart Tolle is able to articulate ideas that are literally "mind-blowing" better than any author I've read.
We all need our mind "blown" on a regular basis. By that I simply mean we need to be pointed beyond the mind of concepts and beliefs. It is my humble opinion that real spirituality cannot be reduced to words, beliefs, and concepts. That's my ego trying to hold on to control and predictability. Eckhart does a masterful job in gently guiding us away from all those conceptual dead-ends.
Get it. Then read it, then re-read it, then re-read it, etc. etc.
I give it 2,344,277,797.5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing delight!, Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Hardcover)
Although I expected this book to be like "The Power of Now", it takes a different approach. I do like "The Power of Now" better but Eckhart Tolle uses some very interesting "first & second person" ways to communicate some important messages to the reader in this book. It is refreshing in that way. I recently felt a little saturated with books regarding mindful living and the present moment and have began to search beyond that (though I may have lost the present moment by doing so). To my surprise, I found an excellent book called "The Ever-Transceinding Spirit" by Toru Sato. It is a tremendously enlightening book for those of us who are not completely in the present moment all of the time but are on our way to learning how to get to a stage of life where we are able to stay close to this state for extended periods of time. I would recommend it to everyone seeking further development in this area of life. Good luck in your quest!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a Class by Itself. ASTOUNDING and Beneficial. Wow!, Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Hardcover)
A great compilation of many brief but potent statements, grouped according to categories (nature, relationships, Egoic self, etc...). They point to deep experiential learning that is possible. Few books are as capable as this one of producing deep learning to the open and calm reader. Simply excellent! It is also worth noting that this book can and should be read many times because the teaching will become bigger as you are more prepared from your experiences with the material. Another masterpiece of a book that can help you greatly in this area of personal investigation is "Effortless Wellbeing" by Evan Finer. They both have the ability to teach deeply, in a concise way, by pointing the direction and letting you learn. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence is powerful, Jan. 10 2004
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Hardcover)
I love this book because it puts you back in touch with your source. From the quality of stillness, we know what is true. I have been a meditator for 15 years, and found some new understanding here. I recommend this book and another book which changed my life called Optimal Thinking: How To Be Your Best Self. Optimal Thinking gave me the power to let go of what is out of my control and make the most of everything in my control. Silence and optimization is the perfect combination!

5.0 out of 5 stars One-Star Reviewers Exposed!!, April 2 2004
Ms. Williams (Temecula, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Audio CD)
The negative posts here tell far more about the reviewers than about Eckhart Tolle's Stillness Speaks.
Perhaps his wondrous words are written in a style so simple and elegant it far exceeds their level of understanding?

5.0 out of 5 stars Calm and tranquil, Jan. 27 2013
Daniel MacKeigan (Halifax, Nova Scotia, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Paperback)
Stillness speaks, but only when we're listening to it and only it. When we have our own internal dialogue: what will I eat today?; Did I turn off the oven?; That person made me angry!-then we fail to hear its wisdom.

Like many fingers pointing to the same moon, the book's many "sutras" lead you to stillness by pointing out the source of "the joy that has no opposite"; The Now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard it, but wish I had read it, Jan. 2 2004
Blaine Greenfield "eclectic reader" (Belle Meade, NJ) - See all my reviews
A friend lent me the CD version of STILLNESS SPEAKS, written
and read by Eckhart Tolle . . . this was my introduction to the
author, and because I was so impressed with what he has
to say, I now look forward to reading his classic book (THE POWER
OF NOW).
Tolle talks about living in "the state of the presence," a living in the
"now" that is both inspirational and practical . . . in doing so, the
pressures of future and past thinking disappear . . . fear and
frustration also vanish, conquered by the moment.
STILLNESS SPEAKS takes the form of 200 individual entries,
organized into 10 topic clusters that range from "Beyond the
Thinking Mind" to "Suffering and the End of Suffering" . . . the
entries are concise and complete in themselves, but heard
together, they make a powerful whole.
Be forewarned that Tolle speaks v-e-r-y slowly, so it might
take you some time to get used to his narration.
The other drawback to listening to the book was that I was
driving when listening to it and, as such, could not copy
down all the entries; e.g., to share with you . . . but I
was able to jot down the following that caught my attention:
Reincarnation doesn't help you if in your next incarnation you still
know who you are.
Love does not want or fear anything.
Naming something as bad causes an emotional contradiction
within you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless - 5 stars aren't enough, Dec 27 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Stillness Speaks (Audio CD)
Don't be fooled by the brevity of this book. Like all of Tolle's works it's not the content which contains the power but what's beneath the content where the real power lies. And of course what's beneath the content is one's very self and the fewer words one uses to describe the self the closer one gets to it. If Tolle were to write a book which was even closer to the self it wouldn't have any words in it at all and wouldn't that cause an uproar! The difference that Tolle brings is that what he shares comes from silence itself and not from mind generated/ego motivated consideration. Stillness Speaks has to be the crown jewel of all of his works. I read the book first and felt good all over, but it wasn't until I listened to it that I was really blown away.
There are those who understand this (and fortunately their numbers are increasing fast) and there are those who want more information for the mind to chew on, not having grasped yet that that very chewing is what keeps them from realizing who they really are. My guess is that what they really want is "something" they can show off to others or to feed their own egos as to how spiritual they are. I have a library full of "spiritual" books that have accumulated over many years of seeking which I now view as being virtually useless, except perhaps as fuel for a very nice bonfire. Nothing of the content of all of those books was of any real value in getting me to where I was seeking; instead I see that they were great tools in delaying my arrival to where I already was, which I didn't know was my destination until Tolle came into my life.
Those who are really tuned into Tolle are in reality tuned into themselves. His presence is like a great mirror which will reflect one's own presence. That is his great gift, and the power of his presence is never so powerful as when he brings you to the gaps between his words. The format of this book makes what he speaks even more potent because there are no wasted words.
The invitation Tolle brings is to just drop EVERYTHING - all seeking, all judgement, all labeling, all analysis, all thoughts of past, present, and future and just simply be. If, however, you want the drama and the heaviness of a personal story then continue on as you are.

Stillness Speaks
Stillness Speaks by Eckhart Tolle (Audio CD - Aug. 28 2003)
CDN$ 29.50 CDN$ 18.50