5.0 out of 5 stars The best explanation of conscious existence yet...
The review titled "Be wary of the Master..." reveals more about its writer than about Tolle. It is ultimately unimportant to me what kind of person Eckhart Tolle is. His work speaks for itself.
Published on July 13 2004 by Micaela

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could say that I liked it...
I actually purchased two copies of this book after
hearing Oprah Winfrey rave about it on one of her
recent shows... ("If you only read one book this
year, make sure it's this one!")
Sadly, I have to agree with the other reviewers
who were disappointed with it...
Eckhart Tolle does make one good point -- that it
can be truly refreshing...
Published on March 10 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars The best explanation of conscious existence yet..., July 13 2004
"The Power of Now" is the most brilliant explanation of consciousness and existence I have read to date. It is stated so simply and eloquently, and effectively, that, if you settle down in a quiet space before you open the book, resist the temptation to use your intellect (to rationalize, compare and contrast), and just take in what is underlying his words, you may partake of the richest experience and deepest insightful 'aha's' you've ever gotten from a piece of writing.
And do get the book: put off getting the CD or tape until you've experienced the entire book in a quiet space. You shouldn't be multi-tasking when you read or hear his words, otherwise you will shortchange your experience. Lastly, do observe his pauses. They're placed where they are for good reason. This is the moment where you let the sense of what you've read sink in more deeply.
Then you may finally 'get' how to be present, to experience the vast and powerful "being" that underlies all our busy thoughts, awaiting our conscious awareness. And then, just maybe, we can heal this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT IN LIFE !!!!!, July 19 2003
Pasqualina Mucci (SAINT-LEONARD, QUEBEC Canada) - See all my reviews
I say "excellent book to get what you want" because this book explains why we do not get what we want. It explains very clearly why we attract all kinds of negative stuff and how to change that. Finally a book with answers.
If you want to get your life back together, I strongly suggest you read this book and I promise your life will never be the same.
My intuition and gut feeling has increased tremendously and immediately without consciously doing anything.
Try it, your love it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece., April 11 2012
This review is from: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (Paperback)
Simply a masterpiece. If you are lucky enough to be fully opened while reading these words, glimpses of the truth the words carry are often experienced. Basically tells you the importance of living in the present moment, and why it is so hard to be present in every moment. A true gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Climb the Signpost, July 15 2004
Tolle's book is an important one... a much needed reminder that is too easy to forget. All too often people can pass entire lifetimes 'missing the moment.' One can, like the worst type of junkie, become so comfortable with-and so used to-anxiety, worry, and procrastination that to simply experience tranquility in the present becomes an impossibility. For such people, the simple and inspirational teachings that The Power of Now details can incite a revolution in one's experience of being alive. That being said, though, this book possesses flaws and confusions that must be sifted through using a keen sense of criticism (yes, this too, is an important faculty of the healthy human being).
First of all, becoming present is a practice-not a realization. I'm not sure Tolle makes this clear. Like any 'new thing' the appreciation of the present moment can seem novel and exciting but if one doesn't make it a practice and use discipline to habitualize the practice, then one will have merely another gimmick, a spiritual toy to play with for a while and then put aside. The reason why all the schools of enlightenment require masters and students and instills its practitioners with discipline and a set of methods is because nothing in life comes all at once but must be cultivated with care over a period of time. Because of this truth, I genuinely doubt Tolle's claim that after his midnight awakening he was-all-at-once-transformed, never to require further training or practice. The experience he describes at the beginning of the book might just as well be labeled a psychotic break as a religious experience. Either way, the genuine appreciation of the moment can neither be totally 'on' nor totally 'off.' It is a variable experience that can be developed but will always remain part of the organic experience of being alive. Be wary of those who seem to show no anger, no sadness, no flaw... such people are usually very good actors and nothing more. Spend time with such people, in different types of contexts, to reveal the true human being. No unidimensional personality can exist in reality. We are always part of our context and environment and no matter our training or character can be expected to occasionally fall short of others' expectations.
A guide to enlightenment, then, should teach us that enlightenment is neither a great distance away nor too near. It is thoughtful experience revealed through action and word. I have seen car mechanics who are enlightened beings when they work on cars but atrocious when with their families. I have met novelists who convey all the wisdom in the world through a pen but seem haughty and fractured in normal human conversation. And I have met spiritual 'masters' who secretly creep away to have sex for the sixth time in a day or to check their stocks on the internet. Enlightenment is a myth, and some people treat it like a commodity to purchase or sell. To live well requires the experience of the present-often-but not all the time and in all situations.
Joseph Campbell once expressed the opinion that the type of enlightenment we have become familiar with is unique to a conception of self that was once fairly common in Asia. The type of self most moderns live by, especially we very 'special' Westerners with our love for 'Individuality' and 'Self-Expression,' excludes the possibility of such an experience. Perhaps it is time, then, we drop this idea and redefine what enlightenment should mean now-and to people like us.
Use this book as a pointer and compass, not as a map. The Buddha said it best, Be Lamps Unto Yourselves. I would add-and don't hide from the dark when it comes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, July 3 2004
I started reading some of the reviews of this book, both negative and positive and got worn out. We can go on and on putting forth our opinions about the writer,the way it was written, it is too simplistic etc. etc. What I know is this. The proof of its power is in its ability to create positive change in the life of the reader. For me it was a difficult book to read and understand. I've read it many times in the last year and I still find new things to think about in it. This is a book whose ideas are meant to be lived and I've dedicated myself to trying to live it. Because of it my mental life has turned around. If it can do this for me and for some of the people that read it, then it has accomplished it's purpose. Those people who are looking for more will continue looking. I don't agree with each and every word of this book. Nevertheless, I think it is a good introduction to understanding the concept of mental stillness which was a concept completely new to me when I first picked it up. I've since read other books in this vein but continue to come back to it. For those who haven't read it, you have nothing but a little time and money to lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, Sept. 13 2012
I have read many books on spirituality, Buddhism and meditation. The Power of Now has given me the most in the least amount of words. Eckart Tolle cuts through the fluff and gives you the barebone practical way of living your life awakened. He has, in a very short amount of time, stricken out years of anxiety, self-doubt and stress from my life.

A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new "Bible"., April 20 2012
Dolores Mcgaffey (Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is helping me to develop my own mindfulness practice. I took the miniature meditation version on our recent holiday and had the most marvelous experiences of enjoying the moment. Ii am discovering slowly the divine being inside me. A lovely guidebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, March 27 2012
Jean-Marc Dupuis (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book that helps you live in the now, forget your worries for a moment and just be happy. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for spiritual enlightenment and in search of internal peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing, Dec 19 2011
This is seriously one of the most profound and life-changing books I have ever read. I have recently been studying Buddhism, Zen to be more specific. There is much in common between the concepts in this book, and Buddhism... especially Zen. What this book does though, is take concepts from Zen, from phycology, from Taoism, from Catholicism, along with many new ideas and concepts, and re-presents it to us in a masively profound and powerful package, one that is easier to understand than the traditional sources I mentioned. This book is greater than the sum of it's parts in that regard... in the sense that it has been interpreted and presented in such a comprehensive way. Eckhart does away with fuzzy magic-speak, and new-age BS, and uses language that is easy to understand. You can tell that he knows what he's talking about, because it really comes across that he didn't write it, that is to say his EGO didn't write it. Some authors want to show off, make a name for themselves, impress people, make money, etc. -- but it seemed to me that Eckhart genuinely just wanted to share his insight with us, and that's it. He really reminds me of a modern Alan Watts. In any event, I highly recommend to all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Encourages Positive Introspection, Nov. 18 2008
I read this book a few years ago and it helped me discover joy in even the smallest nuances of life. In simple enough language, Tolle takes the reader on a journey of introspection and forces the reader to become aware of the reader's own displeasure and distaste with whatever ails them. This self-awareness is the first step of self-improvement and sets the stage for real improvement by changing our core thinking about the relatively negative situations and emotions in our lives. Tolle talks about realizing the duality of good and bad before talking about the need to move away from thinking of things under that duality umbrella in order to accept things as they are - a powerful technique for dealing with unfamiliar or unpleasant circumstances.

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle (Paperback - Aug. 17 2004)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 12.64