5.0 out of 5 stars The best explanation of conscious existence yet...
The review titled "Be wary of the Master..." reveals more about its writer than about Tolle. It is ultimately unimportant to me what kind of person Eckhart Tolle is. His work speaks for itself.
Published on July 13 2004 by Micaela

Published 3 months ago by Giddy Up Mikey

5.0 out of 5 stars The best explanation of conscious existence yet..., July 13 2004
"The Power of Now" is the most brilliant explanation of consciousness and existence I have read to date. It is stated so simply and eloquently, and effectively, that, if you settle down in a quiet space before you open the book, resist the temptation to use your intellect (to rationalize, compare and contrast), and just take in what is underlying his words, you may partake of the richest experience and deepest insightful 'aha's' you've ever gotten from a piece of writing.
And do get the book: put off getting the CD or tape until you've experienced the entire book in a quiet space. You shouldn't be multi-tasking when you read or hear his words, otherwise you will shortchange your experience. Lastly, do observe his pauses. They're placed where they are for good reason. This is the moment where you let the sense of what you've read sink in more deeply.
Then you may finally 'get' how to be present, to experience the vast and powerful "being" that underlies all our busy thoughts, awaiting our conscious awareness. And then, just maybe, we can heal this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT IN LIFE !!!!!, July 19 2003
Pasqualina Mucci (SAINT-LEONARD, QUEBEC Canada) - See all my reviews
I say "excellent book to get what you want" because this book explains why we do not get what we want. It explains very clearly why we attract all kinds of negative stuff and how to change that. Finally a book with answers.
If you want to get your life back together, I strongly suggest you read this book and I promise your life will never be the same.
My intuition and gut feeling has increased tremendously and immediately without consciously doing anything.
Try it, your love it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Climb the Signpost, July 15 2004
Tolle's book is an important one... a much needed reminder that is too easy to forget. All too often people can pass entire lifetimes 'missing the moment.' One can, like the worst type of junkie, become so comfortable with-and so used to-anxiety, worry, and procrastination that to simply experience tranquility in the present becomes an impossibility. For such people, the simple and inspirational teachings that The Power of Now details can incite a revolution in one's experience of being alive. That being said, though, this book possesses flaws and confusions that must be sifted through using a keen sense of criticism (yes, this too, is an important faculty of the healthy human being).
First of all, becoming present is a practice-not a realization. I'm not sure Tolle makes this clear. Like any 'new thing' the appreciation of the present moment can seem novel and exciting but if one doesn't make it a practice and use discipline to habitualize the practice, then one will have merely another gimmick, a spiritual toy to play with for a while and then put aside. The reason why all the schools of enlightenment require masters and students and instills its practitioners with discipline and a set of methods is because nothing in life comes all at once but must be cultivated with care over a period of time. Because of this truth, I genuinely doubt Tolle's claim that after his midnight awakening he was-all-at-once-transformed, never to require further training or practice. The experience he describes at the beginning of the book might just as well be labeled a psychotic break as a religious experience. Either way, the genuine appreciation of the moment can neither be totally 'on' nor totally 'off.' It is a variable experience that can be developed but will always remain part of the organic experience of being alive. Be wary of those who seem to show no anger, no sadness, no flaw... such people are usually very good actors and nothing more. Spend time with such people, in different types of contexts, to reveal the true human being. No unidimensional personality can exist in reality. We are always part of our context and environment and no matter our training or character can be expected to occasionally fall short of others' expectations.
A guide to enlightenment, then, should teach us that enlightenment is neither a great distance away nor too near. It is thoughtful experience revealed through action and word. I have seen car mechanics who are enlightened beings when they work on cars but atrocious when with their families. I have met novelists who convey all the wisdom in the world through a pen but seem haughty and fractured in normal human conversation. And I have met spiritual 'masters' who secretly creep away to have sex for the sixth time in a day or to check their stocks on the internet. Enlightenment is a myth, and some people treat it like a commodity to purchase or sell. To live well requires the experience of the present-often-but not all the time and in all situations.
Joseph Campbell once expressed the opinion that the type of enlightenment we have become familiar with is unique to a conception of self that was once fairly common in Asia. The type of self most moderns live by, especially we very 'special' Westerners with our love for 'Individuality' and 'Self-Expression,' excludes the possibility of such an experience. Perhaps it is time, then, we drop this idea and redefine what enlightenment should mean now-and to people like us.
Use this book as a pointer and compass, not as a map. The Buddha said it best, Be Lamps Unto Yourselves. I would add-and don't hide from the dark when it comes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, July 3 2004
I started reading some of the reviews of this book, both negative and positive and got worn out. We can go on and on putting forth our opinions about the writer,the way it was written, it is too simplistic etc. etc. What I know is this. The proof of its power is in its ability to create positive change in the life of the reader. For me it was a difficult book to read and understand. I've read it many times in the last year and I still find new things to think about in it. This is a book whose ideas are meant to be lived and I've dedicated myself to trying to live it. Because of it my mental life has turned around. If it can do this for me and for some of the people that read it, then it has accomplished it's purpose. Those people who are looking for more will continue looking. I don't agree with each and every word of this book. Nevertheless, I think it is a good introduction to understanding the concept of mental stillness which was a concept completely new to me when I first picked it up. I've since read other books in this vein but continue to come back to it. For those who haven't read it, you have nothing but a little time and money to lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece., April 11 2012
This review is from: The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (Paperback)
Simply a masterpiece. If you are lucky enough to be fully opened while reading these words, glimpses of the truth the words carry are often experienced. Basically tells you the importance of living in the present moment, and why it is so hard to be present in every moment. A true gift.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking to Attain Enlightenment Rather than what Passes for Enlightenment? Seek Not Here..., Dec 30 2013
Giddy Up Mikey (Ashland, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
Well, there are some things in this book that I can certainly agree with such as the idea that nothing in the world can make you happy. But ultimately, this book is more geared towards becoming more aware in your everyday life rather than awakening from what you think of as your life. In other words, the purpose is to be able to better function and have a better experience within the illusion of time and space rather than awakening from the illusion altogether, and returning to the Home that you never really left which many refer to as God, Heaven, and/or Oneness.

This book is great at describing the problems of having negative emotions and how they can rule our minds. But the one big problem with The Power of Now is that it doesn't really address the root cause of why we have negative emotions in the first place. Furthermore, the author doesn't necessarily encourage the reader to really look at those negative emotions and examine why you have them. As the spiritual text, A Course in Miracles, that the author references several times, teaches, "No one can escape from illusions unless he looks at them, for not looking is the way they are protected." On top of that, this book doesn't give you a real solution that'll free you from those negative emotions in a permanent way. There's only a temporary solution offered here because the real problem is not addressed.

What is that root cause and real problem I speak of? I'll tell you: it's an unconscious guilt for (seemingly) leaving Home aka God/Heaven. Deep down we believe we sinned against God and Heaven and we are secretly afraid of God as of a result; we wouldn't appear to be here in bodies otherwise. In fact, we "hide out" from God in these bodies and individual identities we appear to occupy here in time and space. As A Course in Miracles puts it, "Of all the many causes you perceived as bringing pain and suffering to you, your guilt was not among them."

Also, I would add that The Power of Now has some of the same flaws that I mentioned in my review that I did earlier this year of Marianne Williamson's book, Return to Love. You can find that review here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2D68S7UW1DPXP/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000VYX944&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

One of those flaws I speak of is that forgiveness is mentioned, but it doesn't really go into detail as to HOW true forgiveness is applied and accomplished. Like Williamson's book, the teaching presented is just too limited, and doesn't go deep enough. In addition, there's nothing really to discourage the vanity of your seeming individual existence. If there was, I assure you that the Eckhart Tolles and Marianne Williamsons of the world wouldn't be as popular as they are. In fact, if they were teaching what A Course in Miracles is REALLY talking about, their respective fan bases would dwindle quite considerably because the truth of the matter is that the Truth of what we really are and where we really, and how we go about returning to that awareness, is just too threatening to the ego. And as a percentage of the world's population, very few are ready for that type of teaching.

Of course it's theoretically possible to attain enlightenment by following any teaching; it's just a matter of how it's interpreted and thus applied. But by taking these New Age type of teachings at face value, your mind will remain conflicted because the teaching, just like Christianity, is conflicted, even if you're not consciously aware of it.

One example of what I am talking about, the author states, "You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are." Well, A Course in Miracles teaches that that you are NOT here and that the universe is meaningless and thus has no purpose and has nothing to do with divinity; the Course teaches that it's nothing but an hallucination. Not to mention the aforementioned statement implies an individual existence as your reality. Of course, it's possible the statement could just be a metaphor for something greater than what is being stated, but the author does not explain that if that is indeed the case.

Earlier on, the author states, "What you perceive eternally as space and time are ultimately illusory but they contain a core of truth. They are the two essential attributes of God infinity and eternity, perceived as if they had an external existence outside you." Well space and time can't be both "ultimately illusory" and "contain a core of truth." That's the equivalent of Christianity suggesting that God is both perfect Love and vengeful - you can't have it both ways. A Course in Miracles states, "The world you see is an illusion of a world. God did not create it, for what He creates must be eternal as himself." And, "It is a joke to think that time can come to circumvent eternity, which means there is no time."

Another thing about this book that doesn't work for me personally is the lack of humor. Contrary to popular belief, spirituality doesn't have to be all heavy and serious. You won't really find much in here to laugh about, and I consider myself to be quite easily amused. Thinking back to my days of studying New Age/Self-help material, I can still to this day appreciate the humor Dr Wayne Dyer inserted into his writing and audio recordings even if his spiritual message doesn't work for me anymore.

Now, I certainly don't say any of this to pass judgment on the author or on the lovers of this book. The Power of Now has obviously been helpful to many, many people along their respective spiritual journeys. The message in the book certainly has value, I'm not here to knock that. If this type of New Age teaching is working for you than you should probably stick to that; it's not everyone's time to know the truth. I'm just putting this out there for those looking to go deeper, for those feeling restless in their spirituality despite all their readings in the "spiritual buffet line" and still feeling like you have unanswered questions and that something is missing, as I once did back in the day.

The reason I read this book and am doing this review is because that many people seem to think that Tolle is teaching the same thing as Jesus in A Course in Miracles, but I'm here to say that the two shouldn't be confused as the same teaching. What Tolle is teaching here is not a "be all and end all" sort of thing whereas the thought system of A Course in Miracles, when correctly interpreted and more importantly correctly applied, is. And I know from my own personal experience that one eventually outgrows this sort of popular New Age type of teaching such as being presented in The Power of Now. This sort of teaching was certainly a necessary stepping stone on my spiritual path that's for sure, but I came to a point where it no longer served me.

I would suggest to anyone looking to go beyond the confines of New Age/Self-help thought to check out the books of Gary Renard. And then if you feel inspired to after that, explore the aforementioned spiritual text A Course in Miracles, which is the Voice of Jesus speaking as an artist correcting the Bible. Like Gary says in his first book, The Disappearance of Universe: Straight Talk About Illusions, Past Lives, Religion, Sex, Politics, and the Miracles of Forgiveness, A Course in Miracles isn't "fast food spirituality." It's not a quick fix, but at the same time the Course says that by utilizing the means, the "means" being true forgiveness which takes care of the negative emotions at the level of cause instead of the level of effect, it'll save you "thousands of years." Gary's books will save you time in understanding the Course, but you still got to do the work, which takes the illusion of time to be permanently free of your negative emotions.

With the aid of Gary's books, you`ll get a correct interpretation of A Course in Miracles, a real answer and practical solution to life, rather than a watered down, limited, semi-dualistic interpretation of it which you'll find in many New Age/Self-help books, The Power of Now being one of them, that reference the Course. As it's put in Gary Reanrd's latest book, Love Has Forgotten No One:The Answer to Life, "Any attempt to remain in the present moment will fail unless certain work is done by the student. That's because there is something in the mind that prevents you from STAYING in the present moment. Most spiritualities don't even know about it, much less teach you how to have it healed. Also, the most popular teachers of A Course in Miracles don't know about it or teach you how to have it healed, because they haven't really learned the Course." And as A Course in Miracles puts it about being in the present moment, "Forgiveness is the only function meaningful in time."

The present moment that the author speaks of in The Power of Now is still within the confines of the illusion of time and space. And as A Course in Miracles teaches, "You do not belong in time. Your place is only in eternity, where God Himself placed you forever." And, "The world has never been at all. Eternity remains a constant state." Gary's books and A Course in Miracles will show you the way out of time and awaken to eternity. Those are the books I recommend for anyone looking to attain true enlightenment.

Giddy up!

~ Mike Lemieux, author of Dude, Where's My Jesus Fish?: A Compilation Highlighting the Blunt and Uncompromising Teachings of Arten and Pursah on A Course in Miracles

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, Sept. 13 2012
I have read many books on spirituality, Buddhism and meditation. The Power of Now has given me the most in the least amount of words. Eckart Tolle cuts through the fluff and gives you the barebone practical way of living your life awakened. He has, in a very short amount of time, stricken out years of anxiety, self-doubt and stress from my life.

A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new "Bible"., April 20 2012
Dolores Mcgaffey (Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is helping me to develop my own mindfulness practice. I took the miniature meditation version on our recent holiday and had the most marvelous experiences of enjoying the moment. Ii am discovering slowly the divine being inside me. A lovely guidebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, March 27 2012
Jean-Marc Dupuis (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book that helps you live in the now, forget your worries for a moment and just be happy. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for spiritual enlightenment and in search of internal peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing, Dec 19 2011
This is seriously one of the most profound and life-changing books I have ever read. I have recently been studying Buddhism, Zen to be more specific. There is much in common between the concepts in this book, and Buddhism... especially Zen. What this book does though, is take concepts from Zen, from phycology, from Taoism, from Catholicism, along with many new ideas and concepts, and re-presents it to us in a masively profound and powerful package, one that is easier to understand than the traditional sources I mentioned. This book is greater than the sum of it's parts in that regard... in the sense that it has been interpreted and presented in such a comprehensive way. Eckhart does away with fuzzy magic-speak, and new-age BS, and uses language that is easy to understand. You can tell that he knows what he's talking about, because it really comes across that he didn't write it, that is to say his EGO didn't write it. Some authors want to show off, make a name for themselves, impress people, make money, etc. -- but it seemed to me that Eckhart genuinely just wanted to share his insight with us, and that's it. He really reminds me of a modern Alan Watts. In any event, I highly recommend to all!

ARRAY(0xb058484c)

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle (Paperback - Aug. 17 2004)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 11.96