Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on August 31, 2002
I love the Goldy Bear series of books. Goldy, the main character is not perfect. A little over weight, a bad marriage behind her, an absent minded mother at times. Some how in her catering business, she seems to always stumble into crime.
Although the mystery in this book seems quite implausible, in particular the method of murder, watching Goldy solve the crime is part of the fun of the book. However the best part of the book is the description of food, and the tantalizing recipes scattered through out the book. I really am going to have to cook one of these dishes sometime soon.
The main storyline involves the death of Goldy's new boyfriend Phillip Miller. His death is called an accident, but Goldy doesn't believe that. Temporarily relocated to a wealthy part of town, and living as an in house cook to a rather eccentric family, Goldy determines to find out who killed Phillip. The only problem is, her real life such as catering parties and dealing with a pre-teen son keep intruding on her crime solving plans.
Entertaining, funny and easy to read, this is a good addition to the series.
on December 5, 2000
I think that overall, this story wasn't bad. It wasn't the most boring story or the most exciting either. It was in between. Although, there could've been more suspense to it. The story and the plot was a little slow too. It took awhile to get to the suspense because the writer, Diane Mott Davidson, seemed to take things kind of slow in the story. It was kind of dragging out a little. But, I liked how Davidson writes as if the story wasn't fiction. You feel as if the characters are real and they're just living a normal life like anyone else. They do everyday things in the story like, cook, eat, run errands, etc... I also liked the parts where Davidson wrote about Goldy Bear cooking and the recipes for what she cooked. That part was kind of fun to read about. Like what she was cooking seemed really cool. The foods she cooked wasn't just regular food you ate everyday. They sememd kind of fancy and elegant. I just thought it was creative. I guess near the end, there's a little more edge to it because the story is coming to a finish. The ending is a little shocking to find out what happens, but nothing big or too shocking. So overall, this story wasn't bad, but wasn't the best.
on October 14, 1998
I'm reading Mott-Davidson's books in order. I really liked "Catering to Nobody," where Goldy and her menagerie were introduced.
I liked this story, but felt it was a little weak in the development of the "bad guys."
I'm going to keep reading, however, because I like Goldy, Arch, and their assorted friends.
To me, the murder and mayhem is almost secondary to Goldy's story -- bringing up Arch and making her way in the world without the JERK....Goldy's a person I would like to know, so I'm going to keep reading until I get to the latest (The Grilling Season).
on May 8, 2002
I have enjoyed this series but I was quite dissapointed with this book. The title is attractive. The beginning of the book and the plot development is fine. But the further I got into the book, the more far-fetched the plot. The first half of the book was well written and the who-dunnit solution was unplausable. I felt like Davidson didn't know how to end her story and rushed it. But don't judge the whole series on this one book.