5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book! An excellent kernel!
I had never used a real-time kernel. I bought MicroC/OS-II and Embedded Systems building Blocks to get started. The books are very well written. The kernel works great. And in a couple of days I was up and running my first application based on the MicroC/OS-II kernel.
Published on May 20 2001 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Writing style is often confusing
Published on Jan. 12 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book! An excellent kernel!, May 20 2001
Amazon Customer "robertbowen" (St. Peters, MO United States) - See all my reviews
No need to shop for another kernel, no need to shop for other books to explain how a kernel works. This book is the answer to all your questions about "What is a real-time kernel? And how does it work?"
I highly recommend this book to beginners as well as experienced embedded programmers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Writing style is often confusing, Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: MicroC/OS-II: The Real Time Kernel (Hardcover)
I have a general background in computer science and am trying to learn about embedded systems from this book. My main objection is that the writing needs to be edited to improve clarity. For example on page 61, the author states "Generally, the first message inserted in the queue is the first message extracted from the queue (FIFO). In addition, to extract messages in a FIFO fashion, uC/OS-II allows a task to get messages Last-In-First-Out (LIFO)." The second sentence is ambiguous. Does it mean "In addition to the ability to extract messages in a FIFO fashion, ..." or "In addition, in order to extract messages in a FIFO fashion, ..."? On the next page the author states "Interrupts allow a microprocessor to process events when they occur, which prevents the microprocessor from continuously polling (looking at) an event to see if it has occurred." In this sentence, "prevents the microprocessor from" should be changed to "removes the need for the microprocessor to be". The average reader already knows enough about LIFOs, FIFOs, and interrupts to interpret these sentences correctly, but in many other cases the lack of clarity is a serious impediment to understanding. The book also contains various errors. For example, the path name of a .xls file, given on pages 370 and 403, is incorrect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only if you intend to use uCOSII, Aug. 5 2003
This review is from: MicroC/OS-II: The Real Time Kernel (Hardcover)
If you want to implement uCOSII, then yes this book is the reference manual. It is not very nice looking and is made of thick paper but the content is good.
If you only want to learn the different aspects of writing and debugging code for embedded systems, I highy recommand "An Embedded Software Primer" by D.E. Simon. If you have Simon's, you don't need uCOSII.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, Oct. 2 2000
Jack W. Crenshaw "bird lover" (Saint Johns, FL) - See all my reviews
Jean LaBrosse is one of those people who has that uncanny knack for taking a complicated issue and making it seem simple. His MicroC/OS is a wonderful example. The book does much more than simply present usable source code (though it does that also). It explains _WHY_ the code is the way it is.
MicroC/OS II is very much in today's spirit of open-source software. It is rapidly becoming, for real-time embedded systems, what Linux represents for desktops. I also agree with another reader, who points out that the OS is not just a good OS for real-time systems, but a good, _RELIABLE_, OS in general. If only we could get Microsoft to follow LaBrosse's KISS approaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and Solid, Aug. 6 2000
I read this book when I needed to understand embedded real-time operating systems. The writing was clear, concise, and well-organized, a rare gem among technical literature of this type. Jean Labrosse used just enough repetition to emphasize important concepts without being anoying.
My project required an RTOS with more features than the MicroC/OS kernel had to offer but, having read this book, I was in a good position to understand the RTOS I did choose. The fundamental concepts were the same and the notation that Jean Labrosse used in his book to describe RTOS components came in handy when designing my own software system architecture.

5.0 out of 5 stars just like a design doc, Jan. 14 2003
This review is from: MicroC/OS-II: The Real Time Kernel (Hardcover)
This RTOS book can almost be read as a design doc for the uCOS-II RTOS. There are plenty of descriptions, explanation of the API, pseudocode, flowcharts, and diagrams to help the reader to understand not only how it works, but also how it was designed. Ch. 13 on Porting the RTOS to a given platform stands out in my mind - I was able to rely on all the information in just that chapter alone to port the RTOS !!! Of course, I would recommend everyone to read the other chapters to gain a real sense of appreciation for just how portable and robust this RTOS really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly outstanding effort; an excellent product!, Dec 20 1998
By A Customer
I have been involved with the development of embedded real-time systems since 1969 and have written a good number of kernels in that time. After swapping notes with the author, he convinced me to try uC/OS-II rather than doing another "roll my own". I'm glad he did. The book is extremely well written, clearly explaining the key concepts and his implementation. The software itself is very functional. I plan to use it in several applications I have on the boards. I would highly recommend this book to anyone contemplating an embedded system project.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the Point, Oct. 16 2000
I have not actually read many technical books... I usually reference them when I have to during a project. This book is different.. it is structured to be read (1st 7 chapters) and explains the RTOS extremely well. I liked the instances where info is re-iterated, because it is quite alot to take in and any redundancy helps. I am a hardware designer of 20 yrs and plan on using the RTOS in my latest Rabbit based Wireless LAN gadget mainly because of the clarity of it's operation expressed in this publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars No less than the best source on the subject., April 24 2000
The book clarifies some of the most obscure real-time programming concepts. It even does it in a language accessible to everybody, with tons of images and code samples. Labrosse's coding standard is exemplary: consistent and clear. The book also explains how to port uC/OS-II over different CPU architectures, which is really useful. The reference section is also very clear. Highly recommended to anyone involved in real-time programming. I just wish I would have found this book years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful intro to Operating Systems; real-time or not., June 8 1999
By A Customer
An excellent and very readable book with a very usable RTOS. The first 75 pages provide a good intro. to operating systems in general and RTOS's in particular. The only downside for PC users is the Borland compiler's used for the examples are hard to come by and not very backward compatible with eachother. I recommend using the protected mode port available on the website with newer compilers. That's the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

MicroC/OS-II: The Real Time Kernel
MicroC/OS-II: The Real Time Kernel by Jean J. Labrosse (Hardcover - Feb. 5 2002)
CDN$ 106.97