5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Tarot Book You'll Need
I've made frequent attempts to study the tarot, and found it extremely difficult. However, after I visited the author's website, I began to have a new understanding of the tarot. Her meanings are presented in a format that's easy to use and are extremely accurate. The exercises in the book enable the reader to gain a deeper understanding of the tarot. The exercises are...
Published on Jan. 4 2004 by A. Kirst

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for Beginners
A great book for anyone just starting off in reading Tarot, but a bit simplistic overall. I found it to be a perfect starting point but quickly discarded it for more detailed books that included more history and deeper symbolism. However, kudos to Bunning for writing such an accessible book for those just starting out.
Published 12 months ago by From Vancouver

3.0 out of 5 stars Direct and user-friendly..., Feb. 11 2002
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I have just finished going through the "lesson" portion of this book, and found it to be one of the more direct and accessible of the tarot books I have used. In general, the author skips new-age jargon and would-be-psychobabble to get to the point. I particularly like her emphasis on the process of card interpretation; she suggests a way (without claiming it is "the only way") that makes for logical and easily-remembered connections between the cards. My only caveat was that the book's pages and/or binding began to come apart with very little use. Still, the content and her thoughtful interpretive methods were above-par.

5.0 out of 5 stars tarot card book review, Aug. 13 2010
N. Michaud (Sask, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This book is also very easy to understand and read, The descriptions are divided into categories based on each card so it is easier to remember. enjoy this book and it works well with the oracle cards that I have received.

4.0 out of 5 stars If all you want to do is read the tarot, July 4 2004
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This is one of the easiest books to use to learn to read the tarot. It breaks the understandins up so you can actually reference this book during a reading if necessary. I used it extensively to learn to read the cards. Good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarot was always difficult for many people, June 1 2004
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
Tarot was always difficult to learn. But this book is an excellent source for beginners!
This book makes Tarot easy to understand. Readings are easy with that book cause author teaches you really professionally.
Easy to understand rules- and ready to apply them immediately. That's it.
Memorizing meanings of the cards does not really have to be difficult.
This is an unique book. Exercises and explanations well written and explained.
10 stars!!!
Shiloh- also fan of "The Rainbow Butterfly" book available at amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent reference, Oct. 11 2003
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I have been involved with the Tarot for almost 30 years. I have read several books and own several decks. This is one of the best books I have read on the subject. Ms. Bunning does an excellent job of putting all the information you need right in front of you in a clear and concise manner, written in an easy to understand format. Great for beginners, I wish I had this one 30 years ago. Definately a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Had No Idea..., March 13 2003
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
....what the Tarot was really about until I happened upon Ms. Bunning's informative, enlightening website. Having grown up in the Baptist South, I was afraid of it at first, but after much research and study, I've found that's it's not a 'tool of the devil' but an instrument for self-discovery, creativity and knowledge. I've taught myself how to read the cards from this book and have enjoyed it immensely. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & Easy to Use, Feb. 12 2003
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I am working with this book now. I am finding it well laid out and very easy to use. It's fun and I don't feel overwhelmed by trying to memorize everything. This is a process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Beginners, Feb. 3 2003
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
Packed with useful information to help you create your own interpretations! Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Overview, Nov. 5 2002
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This was not at all my first book on the subject, but I agree with other reviewers that the lesson chapters of the book explain Tarot basics in a concise, easy to understand way. The thing I love most in this book is the pages for individual cards. In additon to helpful keywords and question-oriented descriptions of the card illustrations, each has several suggested Reinforcing and Opposing cards listed. For me, considering the possible relationships that my current card might have with other cards gave me a huge leap of insight in how to view cards interact in a spread. While there are other books that cover that subject in depth, I've never seen it presented in such an accessible way before this. I gain a little more appreciation for this book every time I pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introductory Book!, March 4 2002
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I am just starting out with Tarot, and I purchased this book after getting about 5 Tarot books from the Library. I think it is the best introductory book on the subject I have found. It also has the advantage of being on line at the Authors site.
IMO, you will still need a "spread" book in addition to increase your knowledge of reading the spreads.

Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners by Joan Bunning (Paperback - Oct. 1 1998)
CDN$ 26.78 CDN$ 16.62