5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Tarot Book You'll Need
I've made frequent attempts to study the tarot, and found it extremely difficult. However, after I visited the author's website, I began to have a new understanding of the tarot. Her meanings are presented in a format that's easy to use and are extremely accurate. The exercises in the book enable the reader to gain a deeper understanding of the tarot. The exercises are...
Published on Jan. 4 2004 by A. Kirst

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but too confusing and hard for beginners
This tarot book had nice pictures of the 78 cards, and great key meaning charts, but overall, it was too confusing for a beginner like me. The meanings for the 22 major arcana cards were too lengthy, and there weren't any reversed card meanings. I wouldn't buy this book if I were you, but if it was cheaper, maybe. QL
Published on Dec 26 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Overview, Nov. 5 2002
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This was not at all my first book on the subject, but I agree with other reviewers that the lesson chapters of the book explain Tarot basics in a concise, easy to understand way. The thing I love most in this book is the pages for individual cards. In additon to helpful keywords and question-oriented descriptions of the card illustrations, each has several suggested Reinforcing and Opposing cards listed. For me, considering the possible relationships that my current card might have with other cards gave me a huge leap of insight in how to view cards interact in a spread. While there are other books that cover that subject in depth, I've never seen it presented in such an accessible way before this. I gain a little more appreciation for this book every time I pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention Beginners or Professionals, March 8 2010
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I would suggest that the beginer tarot reader start from page 1 and take your time in this book. I look at it as more of a Tarot Course and this course is the best one I have ever seen for a beginner tarot reader. At first you will feel that there is too much to remember, but you should not try to memorize everything too fast. Take each chapter like you are in a class and follow the easy instructions. You will see how this book really guides you to knowing and understanding the tarot. It includes pictures of all the Tarot Cards of the Rider-Waite Tarot DeckThe Rider-Waite Tarot Deck along with some important card layouts and even some examples of card readings.

This books should be the First Tarot book you should learn from or at least when you want to start getting serious about learning the Tarot Cards. It is so packed with everything you would need to learn without going into anything extra - you will truly learn the cards step-by-step. Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners

I would also recommend this book even to a more advanced tarot reader as it has a treasure of information you can easily refer to and add to your bag of knowledge. It could also be of help if you are teaching other people to understand the tarot.

Although it does not contain reversals, it is still a great entrance into the world of tarot reading as the beginner can concentrate on just learning and understanding the tarot cards.

You will find that this is a book you will read over and over again - it is such a great investment.

Bright Blessings,
Lady Desiree of the Blue Moon Lake
Certified Tarot Master

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devine really works!, June 4 2001
Scott Frost (Palm Bay, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This is my second book I have ordered. Joan personally autograghed my first copy but when I moved back to the states on May 18th I was in a hurry to get off the plane and left my book. I was heart broken so I had to get another copy. I depend on this book for my daily insights and tutorials. She has explained everything right down to the last detail and it is easy to use and understand. The first time I used my book and cards I was amazed at the results. My thanks to Joan for her great efforts and insights to the world of the tarot. I hope this day finds you all well and blessed. If you don't have this book...BUY IT! You will be glad you did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for Beginners, June 29 2013
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
A great book for anyone just starting off in reading Tarot, but a bit simplistic overall. I found it to be a perfect starting point but quickly discarded it for more detailed books that included more history and deeper symbolism. However, kudos to Bunning for writing such an accessible book for those just starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Beginners, Jan. 9 2001
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This book is a great jumpstart to using the Tarot! The friendly, modern tone makes it easy to read and the "lesson" format helps the new tarot reader tie together the meanings of cards in layouts.
The section of this book that most impressed me is the card descriptions. Instead of just giving one or two sentences on possible meanings for the cards, Joan works the cards' meanings into vivid descriptions of the illustrations on the Rider Waite deck. For me, this made the daunting task of memorizing the meanings of the Minor Arcana practically effortless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarot was always difficult for many people, June 1 2004
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
Tarot was always difficult to learn. But this book is an excellent source for beginners!
This book makes Tarot easy to understand. Readings are easy with that book cause author teaches you really professionally.
Easy to understand rules- and ready to apply them immediately. That's it.
Memorizing meanings of the cards does not really have to be difficult.
This is an unique book. Exercises and explanations well written and explained.
10 stars!!!
Shiloh- also fan of "The Rainbow Butterfly" book available at amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to the Tarot, March 7 2000
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I first read this material when it was an online course, and I'm very pleased it is now in book form. The author's approach is clear and easy to follow. She provides an excellent introduction to the cards. There are only a handful of good Tarot books for beginners, and this is one of them. I would rank it with Mary Greer's "Tarot for Your Self" and with Anthony Louis' "Tarot Plain and Simple." I think that any beginner with these three books would gain a very solid grounding in the art of Tarot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book for experts or beginners, Nov. 18 1998
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
Joan Bunning has written a clear, concise, understandable guide to the Tarot that has something for everyone, from beginners to experts. The 19 lessons teach everything you need to know about the Tarot, while the exercises give lots of hands-on practice. The keyword charts for the cards are a wonderful quick reference, while the in-depth descriptions of each card include opposing and reinforcing cards and a lengthy description. If you are interested in the Tarot, BUY THIS BOOK. It's the only one you'll ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reference on Tarot, Aug. 2 2000
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
This book is the best work on Tarot ever. It advantages are:
1. It is absolutely not overloaded with pseudo-Kabbalistic crap, which gives an unbiased view of what tarot is about. 2. It is down-to-earth and practical; you can be sure not to be annoyed by pseudo-psychological new-age blah blah. 3. It is a reference book and not a "this is my opinion and as I am very experienced you have to swallow it". 4. You are free to use of make up your own reversals.
For beginners or experts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book For Someone New To Tarot, Jan. 1 2002
This review is from: Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners (Paperback)
I am new to Tarot and purchased the Universal Waite Tarot Cards and this book. What a joy it has been to learn the tarot. I also purchased a couple other tarot books not knowing which one would turn out to be the most helpful. This is it!! The other books told me very little or were confusing in the explainations. I highly recommend this book to anyone new to tarot. Excellant and easy instructions. Don't even bother buying any other books on tarot...your search is over with this book.

Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners by Joan Bunning (Paperback - Oct. 1 1998)
CDN$ 26.78 CDN$ 16.62