4.0 out of 5 stars Healing Hands
After a year of growing in my physical yoga practice, I became interested in exploring more of the meditative aspects of yoga. I picked up Yoga in Your Hands, and have found this book to be an excellent tool for a beginner.
Published on July 7 2001 by K. Fromal

3.0 out of 5 stars Very little meat but a lot of potatoes.
Nothing earth shattering here. The mudras are well detailed and desribed but overall the book gave me the impression it was written for middle class women looking for something to do or be interested in. Worth having but don't expect any sort of advanced work here.
Published on July 9 2001 by Dragon

4.0 out of 5 stars Healing Hands, July 7 2001
K. Fromal "kristinof" (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
Hirsch clearly lays out a wide variety of hand positions, along with accompanying affirmations and herbal remedies, that can be used for a wide variety of purposes. The illustrations are focused directly on the hands, to show the correct positioning of each finger to make the mudras successful. The text very accurately describes both the position itself, the uses of the mudra, and when or how it should be performed.
Since purchasing the book, I have tried several of the mudras, with varying degrees of success. Overall, this book is an excellent introduction to this age-old method, and is recommended for anyone with an interest in the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!, Jan. 31 2001
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
I originally purchased Sabrina Mesko's book Healing Mudras, but I was very disappointed. As much as I wanted to learn about mudras, I found the book annoying to read due to the layout, font choices (lots of italics) and red-colored print. I also found the mudras impossible to decipher from the photographs. So, with much disappointment, I put the book on the shelf along with others that collect dust. Then I discovered Gertrud Hirschi's book Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands, and I was thrilled. This book is so comprehensive but easy to read. The text is clear (black on white), the meditations are fantastic (and there is an incredible array to select from), and the line drawings are simple, direct, and very understandable. I was able to immediately dive in and make good use of the countless mudras and meditations. There are even mudras included to assist with healing physical ailments. I was highly skeptical of these from the outset, but I tried the bronchial mudra, and to my enormous surprise (and delight!), I was able to forego my allergy medication and could breathe freely through the night.
If you want the BEST book on mudras -- with a lifetime of exercises and meditations -- THIS is the one to get. It's clear, concise, and complete, and an absolute joy to read and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for basic mudra therapy, June 25 2001
happy "happydancer" (Ithaca, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
As an exponent of Indian dance, I have been taught hand mudras very systematically and thoroughly over a very long period of time, based on the ancient Indian text Natyasastra. Never have any of my masters mentioned the healing power of mudras (only once when my teacher told me not to cross my thumbs in Anjali because it would be bad for my heart). Mudras have become second nature to my movement, and I was sure they were great energy releases, but wanted more specific information. This book gives basic knowledge, which I appreciate, but not enough in-depth information. The author also mentions chakras, colors, etc. While my original review was a bit cynical, I've come back to this book again and again, and now am studying it seriously, and it has reconfirmed a lot of what I already knew, and has given me new insights as well, which has inspired me to come back to my review and change my original four star rating to five stars. It has initiated a quest for greater knowledge on the topic of healing mudra. I will seek out Keshev Das, one of Gertrud's techers, next time I am in India and thank her for stimulating my interest in a unique healing art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good information and nicely presented, June 25 2001
happy "happydancer" (Ithaca, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
As an exponent of Indian dance, I have been taught hand mudras very systematically and thoroughly over a very long period of time, based on the ancient Indian text Natyasastra. Never have any of my masters mentioned the healing power of mudras (only once when my teacher told me not to cross my thumbs in Anjali because it would be bad for my heart). Mudras have become second nature to my movement, and I was sure they were great energy releases, but wanted more specific information. This book gives basic knowledge, which I appreciate, but not enough in-depth information about the source of mudra theory. Was it developed out of ancient texts or sastras or an oral tradition passed down by teachers to students? I recently have taken the study of healing mudras very seriously, and keep referring back to this book for information. The author also mentions chakras, colors, etc. It's nicely put together, with generally clear illustrations, though a few of the illustrations are a bit confusing and I wonder if photos would have worked better than drawings. This book gets you started on some basic healing/energy releasing, non-exertive mudra exercises. Very good for beginners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mudras that work!, July 17 2000
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
It is always a pleasure to find practical books where one actually feels like doing the exercises. This is one of them. In this book, mudras are simple yet powerful. Mudras are hand combinations which have various effects on the body. Although they are often used in yoga those presented in the book can be done anywhere (at work, commuting, sitting in the hot tub...). Experimenting with mudras does not take much time. The descriptions of each mudra are very informative and provide you with they are supposed to do for you. As with everything, hearing about things is never enough; try and experience! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am doing on a daily practice different Mudras that are well illustrated and easy to understand, July 4 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
An embracing opening into the world of Mudras, so inspiring and revealing to the power of expression of Divinity. I am doing on a daily practice different Mudras that are well illustrated and easy to understand. I am finding that I am stepping into other realms of energy and consciousness. This brings discovery of potential gifts I can bring forth as awaken into my deeper energies of the chakras. The latter is briefly explain in the book as well as the Chinese Five Element Theory. I

5.0 out of 5 stars good reference book, Nov. 18 2013
C. Dulong (Toronto, ontario) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
this is something you can use for yourself, to help others... very interesting and helpful for anything you can think of. I will use the mudras in different areas to help me when i need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mudras, Nov. 14 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
Excellent book! Just what I was looking for. I would like more yoga books of this quality.
I am using the information daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took the Mystery Out of Mudras, Jan. 12 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
What a magnificent book, so much information, clearly laid out and easy to follow. My first experience with a book learning about mudras and reccomend it highly to anyone looking to explore them, beginners to experts, there is something for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars All about mudras, March 28 2012
S. Bliss (Udine, Italy) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands (Paperback)
This book tells you all you want to know about mudras, what they symbolise, how to do them, when to use them and where they come from. It also gives you extra information about hands and the meaning of hands in different cultures. It contains about 60 different mudras and a few postures to accompany them. It also gives suggestions for meditation and herbal remedies for related problems.
It is well written, not too learned (although there is a lot of study behind the book), gently familiar and comforting.

Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands
Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands by Gertrud Hirschi (Paperback - May 1 2000)
CDN$ 18.92 CDN$ 14.08