5.0 out of 5 stars I was ready for it!
Published on Oct. 29 2003 by CoachKathleenR

2.0 out of 5 stars A little credit please!
I found this book to be so simplistic in the exercise department that it was almost insulting. They were not nearly challenging enough and so it made it easy to only do them for 8 minutes because if you had to do them any longer you might fall back asleep from the boredom. The eating plan is sensible and lacked the necessity for calorie counting which was nice. But yet...
Published on May 29 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Addressing the Saboteur in Your Head, Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: 8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes, Real Sizes: Specifically Designed for People Who Want to Lose 30 Pounds or More (Hardcover)
How refreshing it is to find a total fitness approach based in changing the real impediment to weight loss for millions of people--their emotional dependence on food. While I don't believe that this book is a panacea for eating disorders, anyone who is willing to make an honest choice to address their emotional eating habits will find this an empowering and sensible approach to fitness, regardless of current size/weight.
The program promotes self love and acceptance at any size, identifying false beliefs about food and weight, replacing those beliefs, daily visualisations and goal review, isotonic/isometric exercises, and (get this!) a balanced approach to eating--vegetables, lean protein, carbohydrates and fats! Nothing is excluded!
The eating plan that Cruise presents mirrors the eating plan recommended by the National Institute for Cancer Research and is very very simple to follow.
Cruise recommends exercising first thing in the morning following goals and visualisation (short, simple visualisations are included in each day's workout plan), eating every three hours, drinking at least 2 quarts of water each day, getting enough sleep, taking one day off per week and focusing on positive changes for 28 days at a time. He claims that this program will produce a 10 lb. weight loss every 4 weeks--repeat 3 times for a 30 lb. loss.
It's not instant, it's not radical, but if emotional eating has been your stumbling block, this may be the program that changes the way you look at food, your body and fitness altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was ready for it!, Oct. 29 2003
CoachKathleenR (Corning, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Over the past ... years (I'm 58), I've used various weight loss methods. I'd lose it, then find it...lose it, then find it. This book has the right combination: strengthening exercises (just 2 a day), food suggestions (no calorie counting; very little weighing), recruiting helpers, journalling, inspirational readings. After a couple of weeks, you're in the habit and liking it.
Sounds like a lot of time and energy. It is, in the beginning. Just like anything new. I'm in my fifth week. My energy level escalating within 2-3 days. My body showed obvious signs of firming up within a week. I've lost 9 pounds and like having minigoals.
Jorge Cruise doesn't push young, skinny bodies. He promotes health and well-being. If young, skinny bodes are the result, so be it. I feel great and am already getting comments about changes in my body. My favorite result is the increase in energy. Before Cruise, a walk was preceded by long debates with myself about whether or not I should do it. Now I find myself in the middle of a walk and wonder how I got there without all that self-debate.
I'll keep working with this book and when I've lost about 20 more pounds, I'm planning to switch to his other book--the one for losing 30# or less.
8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes, Real Sizes: Specifically Designed for People Who Want to Lose 30 Pounds or More by Jorge Cruise is well worth the money. My health and fitness are worth much more than the cost of the book and the time it takes to do this great program.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes Real Sizes, Aug. 28 2003
kraez (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
WOW! Where do I start! Everything about this life changing system and book is awesome! And, yes, it truly is a life changing system. It's basic, real, simple and TOTALLY LIFE CHANGING. It's NOT a diet plan that you get on and then get off of. Jorge helps each person change the way they eat (and still eat normal type foods), build an exercise program that is truly basic and yet totally doable (even if you have a lot of weight to lose or struggle with various mobility challenges) and provides a truly awesome online community of folks who are all in the same "boat" (so to speak) and are eagerly there to help each other out frequently! Even with the online community you can still remain anonymous (if you'd prefer). But you can also develop a great group of friends a lot of whom have been where you are.
The book is written in such a basic format that it's soooooooooooo simple to read and understand. It's also an outstanding reference guide.
You'll love the CruiseDown plate! It's awesome, too! Come and check it out!
Have you tried just about everything under the sun and haven't seen the success you want? BUY THIS BOOK! It is truly the BEST thing you can do for YOURSELF which will also have a hugely positive affect on your family and friends.
Do it for yourself! And we'll be there to help you along the way!!!!!!!! I don't say these things lightly. I say them from my heart. Pick up the book today. Read it from cover to cover (and more than once). Follow the steps...it's a great "recipe" for becoming healthy AND STAYING THAT WAY! You'll truly love how you start to feel even as soon as the first couple weeks of the program. And believe that you truly do lose an average of 2 pounds a week! I was skeptical at first. But the book it outstanding and Jorge did an outstanding job with putting it together (both of his books).
Check it out today!!!! Start changing your life TODAY!!!!!
Good luck....and see you on the boards!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Effective, Aug. 19 2003
"teresaaweninger" (Salem, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
Three years ago I quit smoking and within a year I had gained 60 pounds. I quit to get healthy and it seemed that all I did was get more out of shape than before. I have a 3 hour commute a day and a desk job for an additional 9 hours, so as you can tell, it didn't take me very long to gain the weight and not have the time I needed to take it off and get anything else accomplished. I started going to a gym on my lunch hour 3 days a week and drank at least a gallon of water a day and for the next 9 months proceeded to not drop one single pound. I have always eaten healthy meals (no fast food, pizza or junk food) I was doing everything right and saw no results! There were times that I had even considered going back to smoking just to drop the pounds, although I knew that that wasn't the right answer. I have searched and read more material concerning nutrition and weight loss programs than you can shake a stick at, and none of them sounded like they would be do-able for me. My cholestorol level was up to 290 and my weight on my 5'5" frame was now at 206. I needed desperately to get my metabolism going again. On top of all this, I was just starting into menopause! Aktins seemed caustic to me and I didn't want to be counting and measuring everything that I ate on most of the other plans. For my lifestyle I needed something fast and do-able. I read about this book in my Prevention magazine. It all made perfect sense. Jorge Cruise I applaud you! Four weeks into this and 10 pounds ago I now am on the road to success. Thanks for answering my fitness and well-being needs! I knew I was on the right track, I just needed the right tools!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your motivation in gear!, Aug. 5 2003
By A Customer
I (like everyone else) have tried a million things to lose weight. This is a great book for people who need to tap into their motivation and get rid of the excuses holding them back. I love that this book focuses on being the healthiest person you can personally be and letting go of the images of perfection our society tends to generate. One of my biggest excuses was the fact that I was too busy to start an exercise program. But, even I had to admit I had 8 minutes a day to take care of myself and my health. This book also features a simple-to-follow eating plan. I found other plans difficult to follow and tracking every calorie was tiring. With the tips in this book, you can eat anything or anywhere, just apply the basic rules of healthful eating. Overall, I found this book full of information that helped me overcome some of the things keeping me from being healthy and losing the extra pounds. I just started the plan about a month ago and have lost almost 10 lbs so far. By now I have usually lost my motivation, but this book has really helped keep me on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars making a come back in MY LIFE*, July 24 2003
karen dunn (SAN DIEGO CALIF) - See all my reviews
I KAREN DUNN BEGAN READING THIS BOOK IN EARLY JUNE 2003/ I BEGAN THIS AT A WEIGHT OF 256LBS*AND WAS AN EMOTIONAL WRECK**I HAVE 2CHILDREN AND GAINED ALLOT OF WEIGHT IN THE PROCESS OF MY PREGNANT BEEING AND AFTERWORDS I FELT VERY AWKWARD IN THIS BIG BODY !ONE IN WICH I'M NOT USED TO!!!SO I WOULD EAT JUST BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I HAD NO HOPE TO EVER GET MYSELF BACK TO WHO I WAS USED TO LOOKING AT IN THE MIRROR**** FOR THE PAST 11YEARS I HAVE NOT LOOKED INTO A FULL LENGTH MIRROR*I COULD'NT ACCEPT WHAT I HAD DONE TO MY BODY ;HOW FAR I LET MYSSELF GO !! I WAS A BEUTIFULL PERSON ALL MY LIFE AND TO DO WHAT I'VE DONE IS JUST NOT NORMAL**
TO GET TO MY REVIEW OF JORGE CRUISES BOOK ,IT HAS OPENED MY EYES TO ACCEPT MY SELF(NOW) AND TO MOVE ON AND TAKE A LOOK AT (WHY) I EAT ;I NOW KNOW THAT I AM AN EMOTIONAL EATER ,I WOULD EAT CAUSE I WAS LONELY/AND I WOULD EAT CAUSE I FELT (WHATS THE USE I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET THIS WEIGHT OFF) AND SO THAT WAS MY GREEN LIGHT TO GO AHEAD AND EAT EAT EAT AND TO AND CONTINUE ON THIS TERRIBLE CYCLE *I HAVE READ VERY THOUROUGHLEY THIS BOOK 2 TIMES AND IN 6 WKS I HAVE LOST 15 LBS*AND I SHOULD HAVE 111MORE OF IN JULY OF 2004**THIS BOOK HAS TAUGHT ME TO CARE AGAIN ABOUT MYSELF,IT HAS EMPOWERED ME TO TAKE CHARGE AND TO GET UP EVERY MORNING AND DO 8 MINS OF WORKING OUT MY MUSCLES WICH I HAD NOT EVER EVEN WORKED OUT SINCE THE 80'S***THIS BOOK HAS GIVEN ME THE PROPER TOOLS TO GUIDE ME ON THIS WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY!I NEVER WOULD TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT MY WEIGHT BEFORE , I WOULD JUST HAVE MY SHOULDERS DOWN AND FEEL LIKE I DID'NT FIT IN ANYWHERE ,THIS BOOK HAS AND IS TEACHING ME ALL ABOOUT WHY I EAT EMOTIONALY AND I HAVE PUT A STOP TO THE EMOTIONAL CYCLE AND AM LOOSING THIS UGLY BODY I HAVE SOROUNDED MY SELF IN!!!!!I GO ON LINE AND SPEAK TO MANY OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE READ THIS BOOK AND ARE ALSO LOOSING WEIGHT THE (JORGE CRUISE WAY) THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME*** KAREN DUNN SAN DIEGO CALIF

5.0 out of 5 stars This Program Will Work For ANYONE!, July 23 2003
Practical Purchaser "Leena" (Keeping "Green" in Southern California) - See all my reviews
Just a thought: I have to question the first reviewers comments because this book is for people with MORE than 30 pounds to lose. If she was trying to lose 10 pounds doing exercises created for people with more than 30 to lose, perhaps therein lay her complication. Another issue there is that anyone who reads and truly does the homework in these books gets a really positive attitude and deals with their emotional issues around food and other negative issues in their life as well... If I could write her I'd tell her to give away her 'Real Shapes and Sizes' book to someone she knows who has at least 30 pounds to lose and then get the first book (the yellow one), which is helping a lot of people with her situation right now and then see how she feels about it.
8 Minutes In the Morning for Real Shapes and Sizes is all about reality and simplicity. Jorge Cruise is a real personal fitness trainer and coach who's worked with all kinds of people after grasping truths for his own weight issues and has now put them out there for all of us into these books! You don't have to pay a membership fee or join a gym. Having a treadmill or a pilates machine is nice but not necessary, you don't even have to buy support workbooks, or special food! All you need to do these exercises is an open bit of floor, an open bit of wall or a doorway, two phonebooks (or the like), two equal cans of food or bottled water from your cupboard, a sturdy chair and a table with one end cleared off. (You use these things a few times over 28 days, how difficult is that! You can even do this on business trips, while visiting friends/family or on vacation!) This book is a about the whole person, about true FITNESS, not just FAT or weight loss and has helped myself and so many others on the support websites that I've become involved with since reading it! ...
First of all, it doesn't matter HOW MUCH weight you need to lose because this method is so practical as seen on the recent Dateline NBC Show (Here is a link to the transcript for it: ... as well as in this review of that show: ... that anyone can do it! Jorge Cruise has developed exercises for people that will work whether you haven't moved in a while much at all or whether you just need to tone up while you work through your emotional eating/exercise issues, either way, YOU CAN DO THEM! His method of eating is simple and easy to do anywhere too! This isn't the kind of weight loss program that you look at and get depressed and think, "Dang I'll have to change my whole lifestyle and I'll never see my favorite foods/snacks again!" This program isn't about guilt or lack, it's about being more educated to make good choices and to do things in the right timing!
What I hadn't realized until I read this book is that most people just have misinformed or ingrained habits that keep their metabolism so low or overwhelmed that anyone would gain weight, regardless of what they eat! That's what happened to me, I had developed a pattern of eating at all the worst times of the day and evening when my body really needed NOT to be eating and I wasn't drinking enough liquids for as many emotional reasons as when I was eating later than I should have. All of that meant I wound up feeling like my body was broken somehow and thought I would never lose the weight but on Jorge's easy-to-follow/never-go-hungry program, I've lost 25 pounds in just 5 weeks! I've also lost over 45 inches! And believe me, if I can lose that kind of weight I really believe anyone who wants to can too! I still have several weeks to go to get to the weight that I WANT to be, but NOW I have easy to reach goals and a light at the end of the tunnel. I had become convinced that I'd have to have surgery to lose this kind of weight and even signed up for it, but now that I have this book and see it working, there's no way I'd put myself through that! Thank goodness because I've met people who've had it and they still have the same issues with food as they did before the surgery and most of them are having a lot of complications!
Let me suggest something.. if you're tired of being overweight but not quite sure if you're altogether ready for yet another weight loss program, then, get this book. Look at the information he gives... Did you know that your body (yes YOURS) is more amazing than you ever realized? Did you know that it is JUST as hard to GAIN a pound as it is to lose one? Did you know that those pounds that you can't seem to get rid of can be gone in the near and forseeable future if you divide the number you WANT to lose by 2? Did you know it's more important to be FIT than it is to worry about how FAT you are or feel? Are you tired of looking around at all the 'skinny' people in their cute clothes so full of energy and wondering what's wrong with you? If you've always felt fat or trapped or never thought you could ever be fit, than stop looking, this program is for YOU!
Get this book and start dreaming about all the things you ever wanted to do, because I really believe, that like the rest of us at .... who are losing weight and keeping it off, that you'll be soon doing those things you'd all but given up hope for and that is so exciting - you'll have a new lease on life!
All the best! Joy =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Take 8 minutes and change your life!, May 20 2003
By A Customer
If you have any weight to lose, if you've tried to lose weight before, or if you've never really wanted to lose weight, try THIS PROGRAM! Both of Jorge's books are very easily and basically written so that you better understand some of the important things such as: why we eat, why we lose weight but then gain it back, why we get out of control, just to name a few.
If you've been looking for a way to: 1) work a weight loss program into your busy schedule; 2) be able to ask questions any time and get answers; 3) get support, be it individually or within a group; 4) better understand yourself and why you "can't seem to change the way you eat, exercise and lose weight, then you've come to the right place.
In addition to an outstanding 4 week strength training program, Jorge helps you with absolutely every aspect of a weightloss program you could imagine. It is truly a life changing event.
I lost 70 pounds in 9 months (averaging 2 pounds a week) and have kept it off for about 9 months!
You CAN do this! ... Please....You'll not regret it.
Thanks, Karen

5.0 out of 5 stars Plan for everyone!, June 15 2006
I think this book is great. The exersizes are easy and quick therefore offering no excuses for not doing them. Who doesn't have 8 minutes to exersize? It also helps get to the root of the overeatiing problem for all of us who are emotional eaters. I think it is a plan for anyone. I suggest anyone who is interested in health to consider purchasing this book. Suggested meals are also tasty. What I especially like about Jorge Cruise is that he does not suggest any diet that requires giving up some ingredients such as fats or carbohydrates. NO counting of calories or banning of foods - that fits me well! I reccomend this book for anyone who needs to lose some pounds, especially those who have had trouble sticking to programs in the past! Actually it worked for me best when I combined Jorge's advice from this book with a healthy lifestyle very well presented in the book "Can We Live 150". You do not only want to lose pounds, but you also want to feel grate and live long, don't you?

5.0 out of 5 stars With tweaking, it works for nusing moms, too!, July 16 2004
Matt I. Federoff (my strawbale home on the range!) - See all my reviews
I recently had my 7th child and needed to lose about 35 pounds I've accumulated. But I have a VERY busy schedule (don't we all!) and need a program that doesn't make me leave home for the gym or take too much time from my kidlets. This program fit the bill!
I started when the baby was 6 months old. In 7 weeks, I lost 15 pounds. I modified Cruise's eatting plan to include one more portion of dairy and meat, but I ate half a plate of veggies at every meal and did my morning exercise reigiously, right after nursing the baby. I realized I was eatting a lot of sugar in the afternoons to give me energy, and I changed my schedule to fit in a nap and snack on whole grain toast instead of cookies. But I still had my little sweet treat every evening, so I never felt deprived!
I have graduated to Cruise's regular program, as this one now is too easy for me... I only have 20 pounds left to lose!
Really works for real, busy moms!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›