5.0 out of 5 stars A No-Fail way to garden, March 5 1999
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
If you've ever stood at the end of a huge garden and lamented the weeds and all that DIDN'T grow, buy this book. Square Foot Gardening will help you grow what you need, while conserving on space, time, effort, and SEEDS. You will feel like a successful gardener instead of a flop, and you'll get alot more of what you're gardening for. You'll wonder, "Why isn't EVERYBODY gardening this way?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and buy this book!, Jan. 2 1999
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
Mel, Great Book! It's getting me past a lot of my earlier gardening problems such as having all my crops come in at the same time (you really *can* strain friendships trying to give away zuchini). Could you include more on potatoes in the next edition with such details as "Is it safe to grow them in old tires?", etc. Thanks for this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now anyone can garden!! It's too good to be true; but it is., Sept. 29 1998
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
I've had this book for years. I also recommend "Cash from Square Foot Gardening" If it's still in print. It's a realistic and practical method to not only enjoy fresh produce but earn honest income while you"re at it.
Thank you Mel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for city gardeners!, July 24 1998
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
I've just recommended this book to a friend starting in a small yard. It is absolutely the *best* way to grow everything you want in a very small space! Eight years ago, as a new homeowner, I was very intimidated by the spacing recommended on seed packets. Now my neighbors run when they see my tomatoes coming :-) (and my peppers, eggplant, peas, carrots, lettuce, basil, oregano...)

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly fantastic idea ... neat and successful way to garden, June 3 1998
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
I purchased this book years ago (don't remember when) and was "talked" out of it by a dear friend who lived in England. I told him about the book and the gardening methods recommended. He was and is an avid gardener but living in England he was very limited by space. Mel Bartholomew's method of gardening (4x4 foot squares) was ideal for him and I just had to give the book to him. I recently was discussing gardening with another friend here in the States and I mentioned "Square Foot Gardening." They were also interested in the method. Just on a hunch I checked Amazon.com and sure enough here was the book. Can't wait to get my hands on it again and build a couple of squares in the back yard. This time I will keep the book ... and refer my eager friends to Amazon.com!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book-- A common-sense revolution in gardening., March 21 1998
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
I received this book as a gift and it has been my near-constant companion ever since. I can't imagine gardening any other way now.
Mel has a gift for explaining things in a clear and entertaining manner. Join the Square Foot revolution and enjoy more produce with less work!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book filled with helpful drawings and great ideas., Jan. 25 1998
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book to beginning gardeners as well as more experienced gardeners with limited space. It is packed with useful info and his ideas really make for a very tidy garden. It is one of my favorite gardening books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book., March 19 1997
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
This book changed the way I perceived intensive gardening. It's simple-to-follow instructions and accompanying artwork made the gardening process incredibly simple. I am now in my third year of following this methodology. The yield in my garden is a testimony to the author's knowledge on the subject and I look forward to reading other books he he has written and will write

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a suburban gardener., March 18 1997
This review is from: Square Foot Gardening (Paperback)
This is one of the 2 books that actually got me into gardening (the other being Christopher O. Bird's _Modern Vegetable Gardening_). Like most suburban dwellers, I have a back yard that does not lend itself to traditional gardening. With Mr. Bartholomew's method, I grew green and wax beans, peppers, tomatoes, zuccinni, watermelon, canteloupe, cucumbers, sunflowers, corn, pumpkins, lettuce, swiss chard, carrots and radishes all in a garden consisting of 2 4'x8', 1 4'x4' and 1 1'x8' plots.

It is an excellent book for beginners, providing basic information on where to place a garden, when in the year to start it, amending your soil (or even making soil, if necessary), etc. There is also a guide for every popular vegetable, showing how and when to plant it, how often to water, how often to fertilize, how to harvest, common problems, and other such things.

In conclusion, if you are typical suburban dweller who is interested in starting a garden, this book is a "must read". Not only will you gain great knowledge about a non-traditional form of gardening, but you'll learn that it is really something that you can do, no matter what your level of expertise.

Square Foot Gardening: A New Way to Garden in Less Space with Less Work