5.0 out of 5 stars Not a scary Thomas Keller book..., May 13 2010
Bookhound (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
As a novice cook, I appreciated that this oversize book has lots of full-colour illustrations that detail tasks I've never been quite sure about, like how to properly truss a chicken or cut it into eight pieces. It has detailed instructions for beginners but plenty of inspiring recipes that are more challenging. It was not nearly as intimidating as I thought a Thomas Keller cookbook would be, and if you like to read cookbooks and spend time a bit of time in the kitchen, I highly recommend it. It's more than pretty enough to keep on your coffee table, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much info in this giant book!, Jan. 12 2011
Jon McMahon (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
A huge book with more info than most. Excellent very informative info on basic to complex cooking techniques and recipes. Easily worth every penny. If I were to pick one book to have in the home this would be it, little bit of everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book...., July 15 2013
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
This book will open your eyes to some really interesting and "why didn't I think of that" twists to long time traditional home style/comfort food recipes. Thomas also provides lots of his interesting kitchen philosophies/techniques and procedures.which are a must read.
I can't imagine anyone that loves to cook or wants to cook not wanting this book. Lots of great images as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars overall it is a great book with great recipes, Nov. 28 2014
J. Winter (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
While some of the recipes in this book require much advance preparation, overall it is a great book with great recipes. I recommend!

Some of there recipes that I tried and would recommend:

buttermilk fried chicken - great crunchy flavour.

Whole roasted chicken on a bed of root vegetables - I recommend brining before roasting, recipe in back of book. I also recommend the herb butter from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.

Puree of garlic potatoes - amp up your mashed potato flavour with garlic confit, butter and heavy cream!
(you could also try baking the garlic like bobby flay does in the "mesa cookbook")

Scallion potato cakes - tastes great but should be eaten right away. Requires a food processor.

Brownies - save the best for last? Great recipe!

I have tried the chicken stock as well, though I find the method is a little over involved for home, I wouldn't use the large amount of ice that it requires, and I don't worry about skimming it as much as recommended. I just put it on and let it simmer, skimming just a few times.

There are many other recipes here that I would love to try in the future. Many of the soups and stews look amazing.

There is one recipe that I did not enjoy -the peppercorn-crusted beef tenderloin. That may have been my fault though, as I may have not simmered the peppercorns long enough in the oil.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice book, July 6 2014
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
Beautifully put together. A strong emphasis on meat and meat preparation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, Jan. 10 2013
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
This cookbook is great to have in the collection. Wonderful recipes, beautiful images and it isn't completely full of crazy high end ingredients. Perfect for cooking family style meals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, July 16 2012
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely fantastic! Although I do usually want a cook book that has a picture for every dish, Keller demonstrates his love for food with such passion that after the first few recopies I hardly noticed the lack of visuals. This isn't to say the there are no pictures, in fact the photos that are present in the book are hands down some of the nicest food photography I have seen.

Everyone should own this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars (Relatively) down to earth from Thomas Keller, Jan. 23 2012
Mustanganna (Victoria, B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
Loads of sexy food pictures, insights into kitchen methodology, and a great section on pantry items. This hefty book gets hauled off the shelf so often it might count as exercise. Which is comforting given the amount of butter Thomas Keller suggests.

Every recipe I've made has turned out beautifully. It's a nice change from the Bouchon and French Laundry books that I don't even browse unless I have an entire weekend and an extra few hundred dollars to devote to the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ad Hoc, Nov. 18 2011
Doug W. Murray - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes (Hardcover)
I just think you cannot go wrong with a book with Thomas Keller's stamp on it. This is instructional and very useful. It guides me through much of my menu planning and preparation.

Doug Murray

Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes
Ad Hoc at Home: Family-Style Recipes by Thomas Keller (Hardcover - Nov. 6 2009)
CDN$ 64.00 CDN$ 40.13