5.0 out of 5 stars Best croissants ever
Published 22 months ago by amp

3.0 out of 5 stars The book itself is beautiful, I follows some of the recipe to the ...
The book itself is beautiful, I follows some of the recipe to the letter, but it doesnt always come out great. Spoke to some friends too and they all have the same problem.
Published 1 month ago by Nicolas Ky

5.0 out of 5 stars Best croissants ever, Feb. 18 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
Made croissants for the first time using the recipe in this book. The instructions are clear, with beautiful, helpful photos. They were by far the best croissants I have ever eaten, not only the warm out of the oven but the next day as well. I have omitted the diastatic malt since I did not have it, and I am not sure what it could have improved since they came out perfect. The book contains a great set of recipes with very clear explanations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bakery book, May 3 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
Great book lots of recipes and very interesting reading, like the book however some of the recipes are very expensive to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'BUY for sure!, April 21 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
First, the weight of the book alone 6lbs and it is a beautiful book. I love the presentations and the pictures. Thomas Keller is definitely not holding back with information...just a lot of good tips and tricks. So far I have only done the muffins and so has a friend of mine and we are not disappointed with the recipes.

A great book, I highly recommend it!
Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, April 15 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
Wonderful recipes, beautiful book. Some ingredients may not be at your regular grocer but are available on line at great prices. Great purchase!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts..., April 6 2013
Reader Writer Runner (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
Not for the faint of heart, the most basic bread recipe in Keller and Rouxel's stunning new book requires ten pounds of rocks, a heavy-duty metal chain and a super-soaker. Seriously. But, despite the intimidation factor, who could resist gorgeous macarons, bacon-cheddar scones or pistachio Madelines?

Any serious baker would covet "Bouchon Bakery" as it provides meticulous instructions on how to recreate delicacies from one of the world's top bakeries. From rye batards to peppermint patties and even to gourmet dog treats, the book certainly contains something for every taste; just prepare yourself for an intense commitment before you delve into its pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Become a better baker with help from Thomas Keller!!, Nov. 29 2014
J. Winter (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
Bouchon bakery is by far the best baking book I have ever gotten my hands on (it was given to me as a gift), most of the recipes that I have tried are either excellent, very good or even the best I have ever tried. The only recipes that have failed were the madeline cake (that was my fault-I think- I substituted corn syrup for glucose) and the cream puffs.

The book recommends using a scale, which works fine for me, but is not required as it includes normal measurements as well - most measurements are in odd quantities though (1 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp, for example). I measured the larger/heavier ingredients with the scale, and measure smaller/lighter ingredients with a tsp or Tbsp measurement as my scale isn't that accurate. Note that I usually cut back on the salt a little bit.

Some people have noted the setup (a pan with rocks and chain...) he suggests for making steam for a crispier crust on your bread, it is just a suggestion and not necessary.

A lot of the recipes include a photo (but not all) and there are photos that demonstrate techniques like how to shape dough, or how to make croissants.

While there are some labour intensive recipes (croissants, for example) I have found that most of the recipes that I have made, below, to be easy - medium difficulty with the help of a good quality stand mixer. Such as: Breville BREBEM800XL 5-Quart Die-Cast Stand Mixer

**********************************************************************
Some recipes that I have made and highly recommend:

Double chocolate chunk and chip cookies - seriously the best chocolate chip cookies that I have ever tried, and I mean ever! The use of both dark and milk chocolate adds both soft, chewy texture (from the dark) and taste. I splurged and bought a good baking pan and silicone mat, but parchment paper works too. Note that I changed the ratio of dark to milk chocolate so there was more milk. Try it if you think the taste of the cookies is too dark. I also found that these were easy to make at home. Just put the required ingredients in a mixer in the order required and mix. I usually triple the recipe and shape the cookies into balls with a large ice cream scoop, wrap the in plastic wrap individually and freeze for baking later. Just take them out of the freezer and into the fridge the night before baking. The only potentially hard to find ingredient here was blackstrap molasses, which I found in my local grocery store. I have substituted regular molasses with similar results. The tools I used to make this recipe are a stand mixer, trigger ice cream scoop, silicone mats (just use parchment paper if you like), and baking pans.

TKO's - basically an Oreo, tasted great! I didn't enjoy rolling out the dough to the right thickness (or should I say thinness...) but that is more so due to my inexperience with rolling. Note that when I made the recipe I did not have the required tips or cookie cutter, still tasted great! I did find I had to cut back a little bit on the salt in this recipe as I found them salty.

Speculoos - christmas or "holiday" cookies - taste good, not excellent per say. I would make them again. Also required rolling.

Blueberry muffins - probably the best blueberry muffins I have ever tried! The batter bakes very moist and almost delicate after the recommend rest overnight in the fridge. The almond streusel topping adds a nice texture variation. Overall these were relatively easy to make, though the addition of the topping adds a second step. Black strap molasses is used in this recipe as well, but all other ingredients are easily found. The only equipment that I used was a stand mixer and a muffin pan.

Palet d'or - Chocolate cake layered with chocolate cream and covered in chocolate glaze. Another great recipe. I omitted the gold leaf, and sometimes don't do the glaze if doing a birthday cake or similar occasion. I find the chocolate cream a little dark for my taste and add some milk chocolate to offset that. This recipe has a few extra steps and I would say is a medium difficulty. It was a little hard to get the chocolate cream up to the required temperature of 183 deg. F without cooking the eggs (to kill any potential salmonella? and maybe also to thicken). I used regular knox gelatine to thicken the chocolate glaze as I couldn't find silver leaf locally or on amazon.ca.

Lemon meringue tarts - I made this into a pie as I didn't have the required tart rings. Good recipe overall. I didn't enjoy the madeline cake being inside, though, I think I messed up that recipe as mention earlier. Note that the other ingredients, the meringue and lemon curd, were excellent. If I was doing this again I would double both the meringue and lemon curd recipes for a pie. This recipe was another medium difficulty one, as there are multiple recipes with multiple steps. That said if you bought a frozen pre-made pie crust, just for the sake of time, and omit the madeline cake, for a classic lemon meringue pie, this recipe becomes a whole lot easier.

Brioche - bread had a rich taste and toasted very well. I could have let it rise longer, my kitchen may have been a little colder. I didn't do the steam set up that the book talks about for crispier crust, and it turned out fine. I think that's just a suggestion if you want to go to the "next level". This recipe wasn't too hard, just required a long time (1 Hour) in the mixer.

This may seem like a lot of recipes but there are MANY other recipes here I would love to try!

Some items that you may want to buy to accompany this book, if you want to do things Thomas Kellers way:

Ateco Large Tube Set, 12-Piece Set
A good kitchen scale (I bought a cheap one a walk-mart but will look for a better one in the future). There are a few high rated ones on Amazon for a good price.
A good thermometer. I recommend a Thermapen or other Thermoworks thermometer as I have broken many grocery store brand thermometers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book but Not Much You Can Easily Make at Home, Jan. 28 2014
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
After visiting Bouchon Bakery in Yountville, California I decided to buy the book.

Perfect for memories of my visit but it is not really a book to reproduce the recipes from the bakery at home. Good equipment and (some) hard to find ingredients are required.

Great read, nice images but not a "cook book" per se.

5.0 out of 5 stars TK awesome, Dec 18 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
This book is excellent. However not for the beginner, let alone experienced. Precision, as to be expected of TK is an essential here. So if you are an instinctive baker this is not for you?if you are a perfectionist you will live it and hence get perfect results

5.0 out of 5 stars batard, Sept. 20 2013
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
I've only made two recipes from this book so far.
I know they are simple, pate brisee and batard.

But both of these finally made me stop looking for recipes for pie dough and bread.

Thank you Mr. Keller

4.0 out of 5 stars Visually beautiful book., Dec 1 2012
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book to look at and is easy to read with clear photos of the methods to use.
i am a fairly experienced bread maker and I thought the methods of shaping which were lengthier than mine were not noticeably superior.
I am interested in the gluten-free recipes but I think the Cup4Cup is very expensive and also cannot be obtained in Canada. I shall grind my own blend.
The book makes me want to visit the bakery.

Bouchon Bakery
Bouchon Bakery by Sebastien Rouxel (Hardcover - Oct. 23 2012)
CDN$ 64.00 CDN$ 40.13