5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely great book (if you want to make sausage)!
I really bought this book to make cajun boudin, as well as andouille sausage. My dream was to make gumbo with my own andouille, and darned if it didn't turn out perfect the first time. We've made Chorizo, Linguica, and are looking at a poultry-Thai sausage next!
To truly get the most out of this book you need the following:
1) a meat grinder (I use my...
Published on Jan. 29 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book: Recipes from America's Premier...
Looked through the book when I got it, but some of these receipes are a little too far out for my taste. I was looking for a book that had a more simple approach to making tasty homemade sausage without all the hoopla! I am not running a restaurant, but do love to cook wholesome , tasty meals for my faimily. I'm sure I could find what I'm looking for on the internet...
Published 23 months ago by Wanna Be Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely great book (if you want to make sausage)!, Jan. 29 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book: Recipes from America's Premier Sausage Maker (Paperback)
To truly get the most out of this book you need the following:
1) a meat grinder (I use my Kitchen-Aid with an attachment
2) a sausage filling attachment for your meat grinder (not required, if you're just going to make patties!)
3) some medium hog casings (again, not required, if you're just going to make patties!)
4) a smoker (not required, if you're not making smoked sausages, of course!)
However! The second half of the book is recipes USING sausage, so you could just buy the sausage at the market and enjoy the recipes (but what's the fun in that?)
This is a fantastic book, highly recommended, with interesting background essays on several of the sausage varieties. The sidebar on "Hot Boudin and Cold Beer" is right on the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to make sausage? Buy this book!, Sept. 25 2001
While visiting from Indiana, my brother told me about making sausage. He bought a grinder and a book. Said I would no longer wonder about the fancy sausages I got in Portland. He convinced me. I bought an attachment for my Kitchen Aid, picked up Bruce Aidell's book and that was that! I bought some casings from the local whole foods store and some meat, spices and stuffing goodies and started making the best sausages I have ever eaten! This book has all the recipes and they are wonderful! Easy to follow. No pictures, but it is a book about grinding and stuffing. Who needs pictures? The book is great! Want to make your own sausages? Buy this book. Adds a new dimension to cooking...or grilling!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it even if you don't make your own sausage, Nov. 29 2002
Esther Schindler (Scottsdale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
If you're unsure about your commitment to sausage making, don't let your uncertainty dissuade you from buying this book. While his sausage recipes are indeed excellent (I've made a few of them), a large portion of the book provides recipes for using sausage in recipes. And those recipes are very good. Personally, I think the book's worth the price for the cornbread stuffing (with pork sausage and andouille) alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute keeper, April 7 2001
By A Customer
Okay, I bought this book, went out to get the food grinder and sausage stuffer attachment for my KitchenAid. I read and scanned the book over and over again. I finally decided to try the fresh Italian sausage and the chicken and apple recipe. I kept stalling and putting it off..well finally I got so sick of postponing that I actually got out of bed at 2 a.m. in the morning. Rolled up my sleeves and went right into it.
From grinding, to mixing, to clean up took me at least 4 hours. You have to remember that this is the first time I ever attempted something this crazy. I was petrified. What did I get myself into? But know what... the sausages were incredible. I practically ate the first batch of Italian sausage all of 3.5 lbs by myself. I had the hardest time sharing it with my kids who stared at me drooling with those puppy eyes begging to have a taste of what Mama was eating. And when I have to use these sausages for a pasta dish for some visiting friends, I actually regretted inviting them over since I wanted to eat the sausages myself. That bad..and that good!!
Sorry for the long story..but anyways here's the lesson for me. I won't know till I try and that's all it took me. Once. So for you who are intimidated with the whole thing but who loves to eat like me it's all worth it. Here's an excellent book to start your journey to becoming a sausage maker. And you will see the great difference between a store bought and something you made yourself.
Another book I found useful is Home Sausage Making by Charles something. Have an incredible time eating!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info, great recipes but a little on the fatty side, Jan. 25 2012
I checked out several books on sausage making and felt this was the best one. Lots of great info for the beginner and I really appreciated the tips and techniques section from how to grind, to stuffing casings, linking, smoking... everything you need to know is here. I've tried 4 recipes and they tasted great! Far superior to anything you buy at the grocery store. There's a great section at the back on how to use your sausages, too. The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is that all of the recipes I've tried so far have been fatty. The author suggests parboiling/steaming sausages first and then pouring off the fat, but I still found the fat to be excessive in today's low-fat world. For example, a recipe using chicken thighs which is noted to be lighter sausage recipe, used all the meat and skin - chicken thighs are the fattest part of the bird. Anyway, it's easy to leave part of the fat out and not have your sausages overly dry, and all one needs to do is experiment. And that's exactly why I wanted to make sausages anyway, so I know exactly what's in them. Anyway, the fat content is a small and somewhat personal thing, and I would still recommend this book to anyone wanting to make their own sausage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes and colorful descriptions, March 2 2001
These sausage recipes gather dishes from across the country, providing a treatise on different kinds of sausages and regional variations. Recipes blend with Aidell's travels across America in search of great sausages, providing a wide range of sausages and ethnic insights. No color photos, but the easy recipes and colorful descriptions don't need them.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is wonderful!, Feb. 7 2012
M. Forbes (Chicago) - See all my reviews
I have not yet started making the sausage recipes in this book. But just finished reviewing the content and already have a list of what I want to make first. I like that there are several recipes using chicken and turkey that provide an alternative to the pork recipes. It is nice to have a low fat option. That being said the pork sausage recipes look amazing. I've done enough cooking to know that the recipes are well written and the seasonings look amazing. Can't wait to start making the recipes. And best of all the back of the book is loaded with great recipes for using up all those sausages you will want to make.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice read when you are a beginner like me, May 1 2014
Not fully used it to its full potential yet but reading the first part of it allowed me to do my first batch of country spicy sausage with a total success.

The step to create your own sausage are well explained

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes, Feb. 24 2014
Bought this because it was recommended by a friend as I wanted to start making my own sausage. Even if I never get around to making my own sausage, the purchase was well worth it as he has recipes for complete dishes that are great (you could use store bought sausages) besides the recipes for making the sausages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, Nov. 27 2013
I like the layout of the book. The recipes are pretty good and are a good starting point if you've never made sausages before.

CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 16.92