5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent intermediate-to-advanced book
Peter Reinhart outstrips his previous works in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It is, in one volume, a guide to the science and art of great bread, an account of Reinhart's journeys and experiences in the professional baking world, and finally, a collection of some very good bread formulae.
The book's greatest successes are in European-style hearth loaves. His whole...
Published on Aug. 5 2003 by Lawrence Strauss

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book for bakers
Ever want to make a braid bread that didn't look like three worms in love? Wonder why your rye bread was hard as a rock? This book is full of tips and insights that will help you be a better baker.
Published on Aug. 4 2003 by C. McManis

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Bread Book!, Feb. 8 2013
This review is from: The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread (Hardcover)
I am still enjoying this book immensely. For me, it took me over the threshold of being a recipe following baker into the world of actually understanding the chemistry of bread and the creation of same. This is an inspiring volume that has opened a whole new world of possibilities. I have people wanting almost everything I turn out of my oven. In the spring, I will finish my wood fired oven and learn the art of artisanal wood fired bread using the recipes in this book. Many thanks to Peter Reinhart for sharing his and awakening my passion for great (not good) bread.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, Jan. 14 2010
I am fairly new to bread baking but this book looked very interesting. I had seen an adaptation of the marbled rye bread on a bread baking web site, made it, loved it and looked up this book out of curiosity.
The book goes into a lot of very useful and interesting information about the science of bread baking in the first part that you will not find in most cook books or baking web sites. Although many recipes do require you make a starter of some form a day ahead the first step is not a long one so could easily be done in 20 minutes the night before you plan to make bread. I have made several of the bread recipes so far and my husband liked the French Bread best.
I would have liked to see a bigger variety of recipes in this book and maybe fewer sourdough ones since it is somewhat more complicated to make and maintain a sourdough starter. For now I want a big variety of breads to try out so may buy another of his books. This is an excellent book for a baker with some time to make bread by hand (I love to knead), a bit of previous bread making skills, who wants to go to the next step, and a family willing to try some excellent breads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Apprentice, June 6 2014
A good read, good instruction and a book I would have a lot of trouble giving up. This book gives instructions on a range of breads and techniques. I have always been one of those fearful of baking. But this book has helped me overcome it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Book, April 21 2014
Lots of learning in this book.
The pictures are plenty and very helpful.
Anyone can bake great with this book.
David

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Take Baking Seriously, This Book Is For You, Feb. 27 2014
lowercase i (Port Burwell, ON CA) - See all my reviews
I enjoy baking, but I didn't really think I would find this book as interesting as I did. This book has been a delight to read, and one of my favourites is the cornbread recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great instructional book!, Feb. 18 2014
I love this book, it's full of great recipes with very detialed instructions and helpul tips. It took me from a complete amature to the go-to baker for the extended family and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars My better half just loves it., Jan. 27 2014
Sandy "Sandylns" (Halifax Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
My wife has been baking bread for over fifty years and just couldn't put this book down. She said that she has learnt more about bread in the few weeks she has had it than all the years she has baked. I must admit I am the recipient of her bread experiments and, so far, everything has turned out as shown in the book. Delicious to boot.

She started making our bread because there was just too many chemicals in commercial bread. In addition, most of it tasted like dried wallpaper. She would recommend this and Rinehart's other books for novice and professional alike. There is a steep learning curve using his methods but worth every moment of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bread baker's apprentice, Nov. 14 2013
Great book just love it Gives very good exlanaton on how and why . The bread recipes are fantastic. This book is a must

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great bread, April 19 2013
I bought this book because I liked the explanation on WHY you are adding ingredients or performing actions, rather than just a recipe book. It was tempting to just jump into a recipe when I got the book, but I held off and read through everything else first. I am definitely glad I did this as I picked up some helpful tips along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bread bible, April 18 2012
Grant Rummel (Montréal, Québec) - See all my reviews
Although I have yet to read Peter Reinhart's earlier book (Brother Juniper's Bread Book), this book seems like THE must-read for any professional or home baker.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›