5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent intermediate-to-advanced book
Peter Reinhart outstrips his previous works in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It is, in one volume, a guide to the science and art of great bread, an account of Reinhart's journeys and experiences in the professional baking world, and finally, a collection of some very good bread formulae.
The book's greatest successes are in European-style hearth loaves. His whole...
Published on Aug. 5 2003 by Lawrence Strauss

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book for bakers
Ever want to make a braid bread that didn't look like three worms in love? Wonder why your rye bread was hard as a rock? This book is full of tips and insights that will help you be a better baker.
Published on Aug. 4 2003 by C. McManis

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars good starter to bread making, March 5 2013
terry minnis (cranbrook, b.c., canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread (Hardcover)
excellent for the novice and experienced bread maker. Good pictures and explanatuions. many varied recipes to explore with helpful hints

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Bread Book!, Feb. 8 2013
I am still enjoying this book immensely. For me, it took me over the threshold of being a recipe following baker into the world of actually understanding the chemistry of bread and the creation of same. This is an inspiring volume that has opened a whole new world of possibilities. I have people wanting almost everything I turn out of my oven. In the spring, I will finish my wood fired oven and learn the art of artisanal wood fired bread using the recipes in this book. Many thanks to Peter Reinhart for sharing his and awakening my passion for great (not good) bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Take Baking Seriously, This Book Is For You, Feb. 27 2014
lowercase i (Port Burwell, ON CA) - See all my reviews
I enjoy baking, but I didn't really think I would find this book as interesting as I did. This book has been a delight to read, and one of my favourites is the cornbread recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great instructional book!, Feb. 18 2014
I love this book, it's full of great recipes with very detialed instructions and helpul tips. It took me from a complete amature to the go-to baker for the extended family and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars My better half just loves it., Jan. 27 2014
Sandy "Sandylns" (Halifax Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
My wife has been baking bread for over fifty years and just couldn't put this book down. She said that she has learnt more about bread in the few weeks she has had it than all the years she has baked. I must admit I am the recipient of her bread experiments and, so far, everything has turned out as shown in the book. Delicious to boot.

She started making our bread because there was just too many chemicals in commercial bread. In addition, most of it tasted like dried wallpaper. She would recommend this and Rinehart's other books for novice and professional alike. There is a steep learning curve using his methods but worth every moment of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bread baker's apprentice, Nov. 14 2013
Great book just love it Gives very good exlanaton on how and why . The bread recipes are fantastic. This book is a must

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great bread, April 19 2013
I bought this book because I liked the explanation on WHY you are adding ingredients or performing actions, rather than just a recipe book. It was tempting to just jump into a recipe when I got the book, but I held off and read through everything else first. I am definitely glad I did this as I picked up some helpful tips along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bread bible, April 18 2012
Grant Rummel (Montréal, Québec) - See all my reviews
Although I have yet to read Peter Reinhart's earlier book (Brother Juniper's Bread Book), this book seems like THE must-read for any professional or home baker.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book,, Dec 23 2003
ms patricia kelliher (canberra, a.c.t. Australia) - See all my reviews
i spent more than 2 years of my life working in bakeries and left when i realised i wasnt learning anything about bread, or really even baking, but only how to work in a bakery. not once did they teach me anything about yeasts, wheat strains, gluten or anything that actually makes bread tick. i even remember once asking the head baker "why does wholemeal bread take longer to bake than white bread?" the answer he gave me: "because it just does."
this book told me everything i wanted to know but could never find out at work.
professional baking... what a joke. if you really want to know how to make good bread, buy and study this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread baking book I have read, June 27 2003
Scott W. White "kibbled_bits" (Weehawken, NJ) - See all my reviews
I've read chapters of other books on bread baking, but this subject is too often simplified. This is an excellent book and illustration of not only how to prepare and bake bread, but also why these techniques are necessary.
None of it is overcomplicated, this book makes sense out of bread making, if you are patient.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›