5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent intermediate-to-advanced book
Peter Reinhart outstrips his previous works in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It is, in one volume, a guide to the science and art of great bread, an account of Reinhart's journeys and experiences in the professional baking world, and finally, a collection of some very good bread formulae.
The book's greatest successes are in European-style hearth loaves. His whole...
Published on Aug. 5 2003 by Lawrence Strauss

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book for bakers
Ever want to make a braid bread that didn't look like three worms in love? Wonder why your rye bread was hard as a rock? This book is full of tips and insights that will help you be a better baker.
Published on Aug. 4 2003 by C. McManis

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but recipe are too long to make, Oct. 5 2009
Gi (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread (Hardcover)
I loved this book ... until the day I decided to make my first bread using the Reinhart method... and I could not: either I had not prepared the proper barm, sponge etc...the day before or I did not have the proper ingredients.
Thus, I recommand this book for understanding how breads are made but, if you are working (as I do) and want to make a good bread or two during the week end, use another book1!
But I still look upon the day I retire and hope, at that time, I will be able to cook a true Reinhart bread!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the way!, April 23 2004
I have purchased this book and have no experience in baking, go figure. But I have successfully baked breads that 99% of homemaker bakers dont even know is possible. What an eye opening experience, and the little bit of science of bread baking is extremely interesting. There are a few books out there that are the real deal and this is one of them. Sadly so many books printed are garbage written by wanna be yahoos. This book is a gem. nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just starting out? This book is amazing..., Sept. 18 2003
James Krall (Friday Harbor, Washington) - See all my reviews
...So I've got this friend of mine, Patrick, who is an artisan bread guru. You know the type: someone who brings all his "mistakes" to the party and everyone greedily gobbles them down? Patrick took me under his wing to teach me a few "basics." He has a bookshelf full of books and this is the single ONE he recommended. And he was right. Peter Reinhart does the equivalent of holding your hand and talking you through every single step of how to pull off amazing breads. Yeast breads, sourdough, enriched (dessert) breads, the whole she-bang. Reinhart does an amazing job of introducing you to the variables that can go wrong, and how to avoid pitfalls in the process. Every time I had a "but what if" question, all I had to do was continue reading...the answer was there. Now *I* bake artisan breads for my own gatherings and people think *I'm* a bread guru...Ha! Thanks, Peter Reinhart!

5.0 out of 5 stars the only bread baking book you'll ever need, Jan. 9 2004
remosito (Princeton, NJ) - See all my reviews
A beautiful work of love explaining everything
about making bread you'll ever want to know and
then some more...:-)
Really improved the quality of my breads by
a few orders of magnitude. didn't even know
one could make bread that tastes like this
at home in a gas oven...
And I thought I loved making bread before having
learned all the things in this book...;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best.Bread.Book.Ever, Oct. 25 2003
This is the finest book on bread baking - - -ever. The only better way to learn about breads, grains, and all aspects of making bread would be to go to The Culinary Institute of America. The author writes about professional methods of mastering the art - - - and it is an art - - - of extraordinary bread. These methods are not available in any other book.

4.0 out of 5 stars just too long to make. . ., Feb. 13 2004
M. Turloiu (Westland, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I want to state my point asap: these breads take to long to make, up to 2 days, and some even longer. My grandmother could have made a dozen breads in that amount of time.
I understand perfectly well that these recepies are proffesional baker's "formulas", but it's not meant for the ordinary home baker (unless you're rich with a very big and proffesional kitchen). I was tricked into buying this book because i trust the reviews from other people to tell me what's inside a book and common complaints, yet no one mentioned these things. My oven is tiny, i have limited counter space , and i'll die of hunger before i get one lousy crumb.
I've had this book for a year now and frankly i've run out of "waiting" patience, not to mention the fear that runs down my spine every time i use the 'hearth baking' technique. Also if you don't have a 'special' place in your kitchen to place the book you just might have to do what i did in order to keep it nice and clean. Either memorize the formulas or scan, print, and pin them to the fridge with a magnet.
Now, about the good things about this book.
YES. The recepies are clear and easy to understand. (Warning: the pictures can make you drool.)
YES. The breads do come out tasty.
YES. You can learn many things about ingredients, tools, techniques. I wouldn't be surprised if this book is being used in schools and if not should be.
But once again i do not believe this book to be for home bakers (not the average ones at least).
If you decide to get this book consider these things first:
Do you have: Counter space? A wide, trusty (gas) oven? And patience? Free weekends? Or at the very least an interest in the science of bread.
Now that you know the positive AND the negative of this book. . .Unlike some reviews, all of you people before me \_/
I have one last request i whish all people would take in consideration. Please state the positive and the negative of a book in your review. There are people like me who trust you and believe what you say. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fully accessable professional text, Feb. 4 2004
Jeffrey R. Salzsauler (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Simply the best. Chef Reinhart explains the process of bread baking in intricate, complete and understandable detail. Fully accessable to both the amatuer and the professional. As a professional baker I can't help but hope it remains a well kept secret.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great and Educational Book, Nov. 13 2003
Former (Older) Student (Narragansett, RI United States) - See all my reviews
I had the pleasure of learning under Chef Reinhart (a very kind and knowledgeable man) at Johnson & Wales University a couple of years ago. A lot of the formulas in this book are the same ones we used in class and I can say they are delicious. Reading this book was like being back in class without the grades! Reinhart gives informative step-by-step guides and descriptions in this book so you know exactly where you should be at with each bread you are making. Buy this book -- it will give you a great education on bread making without the hefty $$$ tuition.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love to bake then you knead this book, Feb. 16 2004
By A Customer
If you are out there searching for a bread book like i was, take my advice and buy this book. It is a well written collection of Peter Reinhart's recipes, but also of his experiences. As you read this book you will find that you feel as though you are sitting in one of his classes at JWU. These recipes are clear and concise and the steps that lead up to it allow you to produce exactly what he says you will. Also checkout the back of this book to see other great books that he recommends. I must go purchase a second copy for a friend, happy baking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightenment, Nov. 24 2003
Michael Wilson "freak boy wonder" (Brooklyn, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm compelled to post a "me too" review. I've been baking for a very long time and only came across this wonderful book about 9 months ago. It's ALL there. It's just ALL there. I now make better bread (baguettes, bagels, sourdoughs, enriched or plain, challah, everything) than I CAN buy, and I live in Brooklyn Heights (probably the best place to get bread in the US.) My only complaint (and it's a meager one) is that his weight measurements are in ounces not grams. (Hey, I had to find SOMEthing.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›