5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you wish for...
Mr. Zelinski's book is dangerous stuff. I was warned by the people who recommended the book to me... don't read it unless you are ready to make a change. I bought the book, and managed to pull myself away from my 4 hours of evening television one night last summer. I finished the book, and I've never looked back. Ernie's book helped me to figure out what it is that I...
Published on Feb. 26 2002 by Justin Onstot

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Typical Self-Imp Concoction
Just a few words:
- a hefty feel-good factor is present as appropriate
- some of it is useful, although not particularly original
- a times gets carried away into new-ageish drivel
- a lot of logical omissions (basically there's a big skip in the description and you find yourself asking, well, how did you get here?
- mediocre writing,...
Published on Sept. 27 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Addresses how to have fun again, Sept. 12 1999
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
I read a book each week. Most are about retirement planning or how to become financially independent.
Whilst a lot of the material in this book is not new, it is nevertheless a book that I find that I am having second and third looks at quite a lot of pages from this book.
What many of us find difficulty with after 30 years of work is knowing what it is outside work that makes us happy. There are some very good sections in this book that help identify for you what it is you deep down really like doing. It seems silly that we need a book to help us with knowing that but a lifetime of the discipline of work does take away our abilities to dream, to imagine another world away from work and more importantly to survive after work is taken away from us either by retirement or retrenchment.
The section on the Leisure Tree hit a soft spot with me. This is a device to identify what leisure activities will give us the most pleasure.
This is a terrific book and a bargain buy at the price. If you have read Your money or your life, The Millionaire Next Door, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Live Rich, Die Broke, you should read this book as well. It will help fill in some gaps the others leave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just retired at 50, Nov. 8 2001
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
It was about 5 yrs ago that I first read "The Joy of Not Working". I had never read anything like it. I couldn't put it down. Although I had "only" been in my career for about 20 yrs, I was losing my passion. This book was the catalyst that got me reading other books, such as "Your Money or Your Life", and started me on the path to "retiring" at 50, which I will be doing at the end of this year.
I would definitely agree with those reviewers who called this book a classic. What is missing in some of the details of getting from here to there (see "Your Money or Your Life"), is MORE than made up for in making one think about work and leisure, in a general and creative way. I too have recommended this book to many friends, at least two of whom "retired" before 50, partly as a result of reading it.
I absolutely recommend this book to anyone interested in expanding their thinking on these topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Book of ALL-Time!, Dec 8 2000
Ronald Joseph Henares (El Dorado Hills, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and Ernie just spoke to my heart. The Joy of Not Working is really not the right title for this piece of artwork. Im telling you straight up....Ernie speaks to you in a simple way that gets you to think about the other things that are most important in your life. I found myself "talking shop" all the time and not setting the right priorites with my family. You need to do the things in life YOU WANT TO DO! Why should a corporation and your boss run you everyday. I have purchased this book for many people and my new business partner and myself refer to this book as the "leisure book of your life." Do yourself a favor and purchase this book. The book is well written and its quite humorous at times. Ernie should team up with the author of the Dilbert Principle and go big time with this masterpiece. I have read hundreds of books on business, self help, and motivation......Ernie's book is my favorite of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lifesaver!, Jan. 22 2001
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
I recieved this book two hours before I went to a crew meeting for the restaurant I had just taken a job at. I looked through it for about 15 minutes, which was enough. Then I took a walk in a quiet forest to think about what I had learned from Ernie. I had a great time at that meeting. Weekends? You want me to work weekends? I'm only working two days a week, if you don't like it than find someone else. And I will be busy hiking on the weekends, and spending time doing other things I enjoy much more than working. Since then they have pushed me to work more hours, and thank you Ernie for this book, if I hadn't have read it I would have let them walk all over me, like they do everyone else. I just wish that I had read this book about 15 years ago. My life would have been much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Manual for life!! Read it, Study it and Live it!, Dec 11 2000
"mcraig2000" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
Well writen and honest, this book has really changed my life. I am 36 years old and have spent 10 years working my way up the corporate ladder only to find that what I thought I was working for was often the last priority to me, my family and myself. This book has helped me immensely to transition from "company man" to self employment. I believe this book is not about being a bum, but being truely HAPPY in what you do and learning to enjoy life to the fullest! I have made this book a manual for my life, constantly re-reading it and thinking about it. I have purchased this book for 5 friends and family members so far and everyone has loved it. If you are ready to start enjoying life...get this book and live it! Excellent book Mr. Zelinski!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites, June 29 2000
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
This book deals with getting the most out of life. He does not proclaim to have all the answers but cuts a very broad swath. He deals with working too much, not developing your own interests, and the difficulty of your work being "who you are". I was 23 when I read this book, looking at retireing at 35. I was also reading many books on retireing early and living frugaly. I worked 100-110 hours a week and had no plans after retirement. I do now. I am happier than I ever was before. I no longer identify who i am with what I do. This is one of my favorite books. I have sent copies to all of my relatives and a few other people as well. If you buy it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The quotes alone are worth the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Enlightening!, Jan. 3 2002
L. Sanchez (Ridgeland, Mississippi USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working (Paperback)
Mr. Zelinski's suberb little book should be on everyone's reading list! I particularly enjoyed the delightful way he enlightens and informs with cartoons, exercises, thought-provoking questions, puzzles and quotes. This is a book that can help anyone not working for any reason get over, around, under and through obstacles that stand in the way of joyful, productive living, whether one is working or not. And don't forget the fun! With energy and enthusiasm, he brings focus to leisure and its positive effect on one's life. Even if you're working, reading this can be beneficial. A realistic guidebook on Living (with a capital L), punctuated with humor and common sense. Definitely one to read and reread!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, June 16 2004
grumpydan (Andover, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Not Working: 21st Century Edition-A Book for the Retired, Unemployed, and Overworked (Paperback)
I picked up this book just because I liked the title. It wasn't what I thought it would be about, but I was pleasantly surprised when I read it. I was one of those people that were striving to be rich, a workaholic, to have it all, but all it got me was stress, a divorce and no life or hobbies. Although, prior to buying this book, I was gearing myself to a simpler life, the ideas and suggestions in this book brought it all home. I am too young to retire, but I now am taking pleasure in my life, spending more time with my daughter and having resumed hobbies I gave up long ago. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to enjoy life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for anyone who is unemployed, retired or just tired!, March 1 1997
This self-proclaimed Dr. of Leisure has successfully
captured the true message of self-actualized leisure,wellness
and quality of life. As a certified, registerd recreation/leisure
professional, I was a little concerned at seeing E. Zelinski
claim this title without proper educational preparation.
After reading his book, I still wince at his claim to this title,
but also fully support his message and delightful delivery!
I recommend this book to all my clients who are temporarily
or permanently unemployed, retiring/retired or just plain
tired of the lack joy in their leisure and in their lives

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book., March 17 2004
My brother and I just spent a year on a sabbatical. When we were planning our time off, I searched the Internet for ideas and articles on the subject. I came across Ernie's book and went to Amazon to look it up. The description intrigued me and I ordered a copy. I am glad I did! The Joy of Not Working is a very helpful and funny book. The chapters on Zen and Money are my favorite. I reread them several times. It is full of wit and wisdom with some funny cartoons to keep you laughing. I enjoyed in immensely and recommend it for anyone planning a sabbatical or about to enter retirement.

Used & New from: CDN$ 10.13