5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, like me..., March 31 2007
Sophie Poliquin (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors (Hardcover)
I got this book for my birthday and I didn't even request it, and I must say, it is a GREAT book. I've fallen in love with vietnamese food, through pho and bun and banh mi, and this book contains all those recipes and more. It explains the history on this whole culinary world, and has detailed descriptions and pictures to help you identify ingredients and understand them. That way, you can go shopping with a little bit more ease and you'll have the vietnamese names available when you need the help. I was able to get the ingredients I needed when the shop lady couldn't understand what I wanted since I wrote the vietnamese names (accents and everything)of them and I just showed them to her. There are also tips and notes on techniques and substitutions. There is also explanations on how to eat and live this different culinary experience. I learned a ton of stuff. And everything is so easy and fresh, it's really nice and fun to do something new and not have to go to a restaurant for it. There's even a section on vietnamese charcuteries (cold cuts, if you will) so that you can make your own banh mi ! So if you love vietnamese food or are just curious, and you need something that will walk you through it and not frustrate the heck out of you, I reccommend this book. It should be part of every cookbook library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Vietnamese cook book. Great for a beginner like me., July 19 2012
I tried a few recipes and they were all exactly as I expected. I am Vietnamese and have found the flavor to be authentic and very delicious. The instructions are detailed, precise and easy to follow. I would have loved to see a picture for each recipe, as noted by other reviewer; but all in all, it's a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and authentic, June 27 2013
I am really pleased with everything I have made so far! And my Vietnamese mother in law gave everything a 9/10! Really enjoying it and can't wait to start trying the more difficult recipes!

4.0 out of 5 stars This one has it all (almost)..., May 14 2009
V (Whitehorse, Yukon) - See all my reviews
This is a great addition to your cookbook collection.

Loads of great Vietnamese recipes here, MOST have photos to give you an idea of what your finished dish should look like.

My only complaint is that I would have liked to have a photo for every recipe since I've never really cooked much Vietnamese food before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 11 2014
So delicious ande stories in the book

Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors by Andrea Nguyen (Hardcover - Oct. 1 2006)
CDN$ 43.00 CDN$ 26.96