5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Bread
Published on Feb. 22 2012 by IofTHEbHOLDER

3.0 out of 5 stars Not many recipes
3 stars because of the low value of this book in terms of recipe yield.
Measurements are not precise. I have some books that have very precise measurements, this one always has 'extra flour' as last ingredient. You will have to find what that means as you experiment.

Half the book is talk on the author and bread theory.
The recipes of the staple...
Published on March 24 2008 by Just passin trough

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Bread, Feb. 22 2012
This review is from: Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor (Hardcover)
I'm going to give it to you guys straight. I know nothing about bread. Nor do I care too much about bread making. However my wife does, and she is on this bent of "whole grains" and "organic", yada, yada. So, as a good husband I've learned to eat "interesting" textures of bread (sometimes in closer relation to hockey pucks)with a smile, and a nod. If this is the scenario you are currently living with, husbands I bring you HOPE!

In my imagination, Peter Reinhart had the same issue with his wife and finally snapped. But, instead of learning slight of hand and sneaking chunks of bread into the garbage, he did something useful. He learned how to make whole grain bread good! When I say learning, man, you should read the introduction of this book. I think the first quarter of the book is the history of yeast and his experimentation with whole grains. Whatever it is, its made a world of difference! I now enjoy homemade whole grain bread, and its way more fluffier, lighter, fresher than the store bought stuff. I would say even better than most white flour based breads out there. My wife gets her grains from an organic farmer, so that might make a difference. So far she's made pizza dough, sandwich bread, potato bread and all this other stuff and I bought this book for her 2 months ago.

And another benefit to this is my wife is alot happier too. I thought over the years, love would bring a marriage closer, no, its actually just bread. And alot of butter. Maybe some love too. But mostly the bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great bread, Sept. 12 2008
This is the best recipe book I have ever found for bread making. The recipes are exact and precise and the instructions are written clearly. Each recipe involves a 2 day process but really does not take too much time to complete. Each recipe is for 1 loaf of bread but I doubled and tripled recipes and they turned out just fine. I just have to say the the bread I made following Reinhart's recipes is the best bread I have ever tasted. The flavor is amazing and the loaves are moist and have a nice texture. You can't go wrong with this book if you want to make great bread.

4.0 out of 5 stars very tasty breads, June 17 2008
I loved the breads in this book. They are incredibly flavourful as well as being very healthy. The multigrain struan is one of the best breads that I have ever made. It did take a little experimentation to get the right flour. While Reinhart does give extensive explanations on the various types of wheat and their gluten contents. He does not come right out and tell the reader to buy bread flour. My first couple loaves I made with all purpose whole wheat flour and they were somewhat dense although still very tasty. After going out and buying some whole wheat bread flour my results were much better. I am very much looking forward to trying out more of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best two-stage soaked breads., Jan. 5 2010
M. Jackson - See all my reviews
If you are already familiar with the two-stage process then you will appreciate this book. Many two-stage soaked grain breads are very heavy and dense...not these. I make breads for a food co-op all from sprouted and fermented grains and the breads from this book are the best I have made yet. If you are new to bread making you may find this too much, but I still think anyone could jump right in to making breads this way. It is truly the most healthy way to enjoy whole grains.
Enjoy in good health.

5.0 out of 5 stars For real bread baking Afficionados, Jan. 5 2008
I loved Peter's earlier Book The Bread Baker's Apprentice. The new whole grain bread book is also wonderful, and healthier. I also dusted off my Hawo's Four Mill that I had bought years ago and not really used all that much because the whole grain breads I made then were heavy and uninspiring. This book has changed all that. I started with the seed crackers. Using hard whole wheat freshly ground flour, they were terrific. I have used this recipe ever since, and everyone who tastes them loves them and wants to know how I made them. I recommend the longer dough that sits over night, it gives richer flavour. The book is worth buying just for this recipe in my opinion. I have also made the sourdough starter, and basic sour dough bread, and it tasted so rich and delicious. There are also what he calls "transitional breads that are part white flour, which is an easier way to start. There is also a section (where the cracker recipes are) on other breads like injera for example.
Since getting this I have also gone back to the Bread Baker's Apprentice and made some of the sour dough recipes, the rye is fantastic, and try the Panetone, but make it with sourdough and use dried cranberries, walnuts, and sultana raisins, amazing and keeps really well.
I highly recommend both books for people who really love to bake bread. Sure we can go and get artisan bread now, and you will still want to sometimes, but these breads are truly delicious, and of course anyone who loves to bake bread knows how much fun it is to see the dough rise, etc. I also appreciate how Peter works like a scientist, testing techniques and using a crew of volunteer bakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread book ever, March 4 2012
Since I purchased a flour mill about 5 years ago I've been making most of our family's bread and pasta with fresh-milled flour. I have 3 pretty athletic teenagers so that's a bit of a tall order, but (in my opinion) the savings and health benefits totally warrant it. Anyway, having turned out my fair share of hockey pucks over the years (which, I must add, the kids have gamely eaten every time!) I was ready for a new method. So while ordering some other books I threw in Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads, partly because it had decent reviews, partly to get a better rate on shipping.

Well, this book totally delivers. I started by reading through all the history and chemistry and microbiology stuff at the beginning and contrary to some of the reviews, I found it very helpful to have that background info. As for the recipes/formulas themselves, the ingredients and quantities are thoroughly explained and very well-defined; quantities are to the 0.5 gram - more precise than my weigh scale!. There are plenty of photos to illustrate the techniques as well, so it wasn't difficult to get the hang of it all.

So far, every single formula I've tried has turned out wonderfully well with home-milled wheat and rye flours. (I use white spring wheat.)

So far I've tried the basic recipe, mash bread, struan (wheat as well as multigrain), rye bread, seeded crackers, matzos, graham crackers... yup, all that, and the book arrived only 2 weeks ago. I haven't tried the transitional breads (don't have commercial flour at home anymore) so I can't comment on those. Everything has been whole-grain, home-milled and every single one of these formulas has been better-than-bakery. This book has made those hockey pucks a thing of the past.

Long story short: Reinhart says to let the bread cool for 2 hours before cutting it; it hasn't lasted that long except when I've doubled or tripled the quantities.

The only real disadvantage to this book has to do with my waistline... but that's not Reinhart's fault. I recommend this book to every home-baked-bread (and healthy-bread) enthusiast out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, March 19 2014
Finding Myself (Calgary, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm learning how to make all our own breads and this book is highly recommended if you want whole grain breads. Reinhart's method really does work to give you breads of good volume, great texture and even better taste. Best of all, the instructions are easy to understand and will work if you follow them exactly.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is amazing, Jan. 23 2014
D. A. Davis "acarose" (TR, BC) - See all my reviews
I wanted to learn how to bake whole grain breads and this cook book has helped me do just that... wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Jan. 8 2014
Sandy "Sandylns" (Halifax Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
My wife hasn't put this down since I gave it to her. She is systematically going through the recipes one by one. So far everything has turned out right. She also said, after making bread for close to fifty years, she has still got lots toearn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bread book!, Feb. 27 2013
This is by far the best bread cook book I've ever bought. Every recipe I've made so far is exceptional in flavor and crumb. You will not be disappointed!!!

ARRAY(0xa2747528)