5.0 out of 5 stars A baking education
I bought this book while I was getting myself more professional material to play with. I must say I am very pleased with it.
Published 13 months ago by Mylène Bergeron Francoeur

2.0 out of 5 stars Typos
Published on April 30 2010 by Julia House

2.0 out of 5 stars Typos, April 30 2010
Julia House "experienced baker" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
James Peterson has an excellent reputation, and he is respected by many chefs around the world. There's a reason for this, he is good at what he does. I wish I could say the same for his book editor. first recipe I tried failed miserably... TWICE. I am not new to baking. When the recipe warns not to be alarmed if your brioche dough is "too runny" and all I have is a crumbly dry mess, something is not right. The recipe never asks for milk - a classic brioche ingredient. Reading other reviews, it seems this is not the only error in this book. I would definitely NOT recommend this book for beginners... not until they fix it and re-print. If this book were a car, it would have been recalled.

Mr. Peterson, please hire a new editor, test all the recipes as they appear in the book, THEN re-release. Having this book released as it is now, is only discrediting your reputation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A baking education, June 17 2013
Mylène Bergeron Francoeur "Mongol Chef" (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
While it does shows you the steps of a recipe independently, the book is build around "one recipe, one technique" and the teachings you get while doing one recipe will apply to many more in the future. Which also means, you can easily combine your favorite cake with your preferred glaze, without fuss. It's well organized and can easily be navigated through.

I don't get the people complaining about the lack of "troubleshooting" in this book. It is literally FILLED with all kinds of little notes and tool tips memos with all sorts of guidance. Plus, there are many pictures to show you all those tricky steps. Surely, those people must have quickly flicked the pages of this book. Also, it is important to realize as well, this book was not written for beginners, or even good home bakers. It's written for people aspiring to expert / professional level baking. How do I know ? The bad comments are what I used to complain about when my mother-in-law (a chef) would dictate a recipe to me; add enough of this ingredient, cook 'till texture is right, don't beat too much, etc. So, yes, not everything is illustrated, and yes, they are expecting a high level in their readers. But that is how professionals roll.

I have used this book for now a few years and successfully whipped out many recipes, like the crème d'or, the chocolate sponge cake, the rolled pistachio buttercream cake, and they all came out perfectly. My favorite features are all the pictures explaining more complicated techniques, all the inspiration provided, and it also helped me lots with pastries, which requires more doigté and finesse than cakes. It's an impressive book, covering a wide range of subjects, but I believe it stands strong to it's name, and provides one hell of a baking education.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a beginner baker, Feb. 11 2012
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
When I received my Kitchenaid Pro 600 Stand Mixer, I received a few books on baking. This book was one of them. I was given this book because the use of the Stand Mixer is incorporated into many of the recipes. I love the explanations given as well as the pictures. For a beginner like me pictures are a great help. However, I found numerous spelling errors. Some of the recipes I used succeeded, some failed - will keep trying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some information, but not a good choice, Dec 20 2010
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
After attempting many recipes in this book, I've been very disappointed. Every recipe so far has failed; sponge cakes, stabilized whip creams, etc. While most baking books offer tips, and checks to ensure that you are achieving the desired result along the way, this book offers very little. Quantities and measurements of ingredients sometimes seem suspect, and I've struggled to get the desired consistencies as stated. As someone who has baked for years, and has over 30 cookbooks lining my shelves, I'm no stranger to complex recipes.

While there is useful information provided, and lots of images to guide your work in terms of constructing the final dessert or cake, the book rarely shows photos to help you in the preparation of each element. It seems to tout itself as an all encompassing guide in its approach; it breaks down the cakes and pastry doughs into solo recipes and then lists optional fillings and icings to combine to make a complete dessert. However I cannot find even basic information, like how to make a fruit filling for a pie. Overall it feels disjointed and disconnected.

An example of where this book fails might be when the book tells you not to heat a liquid ingredient too much, but doesn't give a specific temperature range, or visual hallmark or consistency to watch for. In one recipe it told me to add a liquid to cream being whipped in a stand mixer and to avoid pouring it onto the whisk or the side of the bowl... which left me nowhere to pour it in my stand mixer.

I think a book of this scope should contain information on what to do when things go wrong, if a cake browns too quickly, or what to alter if a leavened item collapses, etc. Executing the recipes left me confounded instead of enlightened. Perhaps this book would be best suited in the hands of an accredited pastry chef, although even then I question how well tested the recipes are. For those looking to learn baking techniques, there are far better books out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars recipes don't work for me, March 20 2011
Y. Trisno (Vancouver, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
I tried to make Cat's Tongue Cookies. It says preheat to 400F, 12 min baking time. By the 6th minute, my cookies already started burning. So, I just adjusted to 350F (like other cookies). Then, I searched on the internet, all the cat's tongue recipe I found, ask for 350F, and 10 min cooking. This book just not working for me. It has nice pictures though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much frustratioin, Jan. 29 2011
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
I consider myself a fairly experienced baker. Like previous reviewers, I've had numerous recipes from this book fail more than once. I'm following the directions as closely as possible but my cakes are never quite tall enough and the buttercream never quite stiff enough. I find it frustrating when it takes 45 minutes to make a french buttercream that turns out to be hardly useable.

I have found some good baking tips but I find many of the directions and tips vague - like previous reviewers said, it warns of whipping eggs too much, but doesn't describe what that looks like. And troubleshooting tips would be a wonderful addition.

An editor definitely needs to check over the book, in one recipe it said to use 1.5 cups (or 1.25 lbs) of butter. Huh? I might be mistaken, but last time I checked 2 cups was 1 lb of butter.

I have made a few things from this book that have been successful (the pound cake was great!), but I don't think that makes the frustration I've experienced worthwhile. I would pass on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Jan. 3 2010
Christina Mills (Mississauga, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
I had received this book as a Christmas gift, and It is one of the best Baking books I own thus far. I run a small business of home baked goods and this book has so much valuable information and wonderful recipies in it.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, March 29 2011
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
Had this book for a while before I tried the cinnamon rolls/sticky buns. I am not a novice so everything went great until the baking time. 60 minutes cooking at 375 when all other recipes (I know now) call for 25 - 30 minutes. Six hours and lots of ingredients thrown out.

I have since read other reviews and now cannot trust any of these recipes to be correct in ALL aspects. Will only look at the pretty pictures and not use the book. What a waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for beginners and more seasoned home bakers also, March 30 2010
Foodie/bookie (South Surrey, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
I really like that this book has many picture instructions and it is worth the price. It is so much easier to look at a picture and understand what it means that for example the dough should pull away in a certain manner from the spoon, instead just read it and try to figure out what it means. Of course I didn't make all the recipes (yet) but I find this book very useful and would recommend it to anyone who is just starting to bake or want to get better results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, Dec 17 2009
J. Viens - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
This book is very detailed and describes how to bake almost everything you can think of! The pictures are great too.
I highly recommend this to any passionate baker!
Happy creating!

Baking
Baking by James Peterson (Hardcover - Sept. 29 2009)
CDN$ 49.00 CDN$ 30.72