5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent step by step innstructions
I bought this book not knowing what to expect since I had read other books on liquid soap and the results I got were pretty bad!
Excellent step by step instructions! I have made over 250 bottles of liquid soap for a craft fair in my country (venezuela) My Best selling items so far!.
Published on Dec 18 2001 by Kika Bisogno

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy as she says it is!!
Published on June 27 2001 by Sasha Castel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent step by step innstructions, Dec 18 2001
Kika Bisogno (Caracas, Distrito Federal Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Natural Liquid Soaps: Herbal Shower Gels, Conditioning Shampoos, Moisturizing Hand Soaps, Luxurious Bubble Baths, and more (Paperback)
Recipes are not quite what one expects for hair shampoos but for everything else (gels, bubble baths, etc) they are just great!
I do recomend this book 100%. I promise you'll be surprise at how easy and inexpensive it is to supply your own household with great Shower Gels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy as she says it is!!, June 27 2001
Sasha Castel "sashacastel" (Canberra, Australia, formerly of NY, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
I've made several dozen batches of cold-process soap over the last year. I was very excited to try the recipes and techniques in this book. Oy vey, what a production! I read the book three times cover-to-cover and was still thoroughly confused and intimidated.The book is badly organized and sometimes contradictory. Finally, in desperation, I decided to make the "Translucent Liquid Soap" recipe in Cavitch's Soapmaker's Comapanion. Blessedly simple by comparison, and after my first batch the Faillor techniques began to make a bit more sense. .The (Cavitch) recipe turned out nicely, and once I get a bit more practice, I will look forward to making Faillor's recipes, but take my word for it, a beginner would be thoroughly befuddled by this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Aug. 28 2003
Just finished reading the book. I can understand how some can get confused.
Log onto [yahoo] and check out groups and look for the soap forums which will help you understand more. The people on the soap forums will lead you to links and books for additional help for liquid soaps.
I understood the book. It actually make me want to hop online and start purchasing additional supplies to making liquid soap.
Pictures and recipes were delightful.
The only problem was that the author used coconut oil as part of her recipes and I use only palm kernel oil. However, there are other web sites that I can calculate the palm kernel oil.
You must read carefully and if you don't understand, stop and hop online and start surfing the net for help in regards to making liquid soaps.
This book was referred to me and I do not regret the purchase.
It has helped tremendously!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, but outdated methods, Sept. 9 2013
This book gives a very good and informative overview of the chemical composition of liquid soaps, why they behave the way they do and what oils to use to achieve certain results, lye composition and dilution ratios, but the methods to cook the soaps are desperately out of date. Even if you decided to make your soaps the old fashioned "Failor" way, you have to flip back and forth within the book - the instructions aren't structured in a logical way for the beginner (somewhat hard to follow). If you're looking for an all-inclusive book that will teach you how to make liquid soaps with the widely-accepted, quick and efficient crock pot method, this isn't the one for you. While you do need an understanding of how to compose your recipes chemically, no question, you can get your step-by-step liquid soap making instructions on youtube instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars making natural liquid soaps, Jan. 5 2002
I was very excited when I bought this book I couldn't wait to get home and start making my very own soap! Than I opened the book and was thoroughly confused! Terrible editing, Awful directions, that often have no rhyme or reason! I have ruined 3 batches of soap already. I have read the book from front to back 5 or 6 times and only after 2 of my friends and I sat down together and read the entire book together did we finally start putting together what the author is so poorly trying to teach you! I do not recommend this book unless you are prepared to spend hours trying to decipher it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Make Liquid Soap, Feb. 22 2012
It's as easy as that: Read the book and make liquid soap. On the advice of another reviewer, I bought "The Soapmaker's Companion to help me understand Failor's book, Making Natural Liquid Soaps. Doing that was totally unnecessary. I found Making Natural Liquid Soaps to be well laid out, going smoothly from Making Liquid Soaps 101 to Making Liquid Soaps 202 with pictures, explanations and ingredient information as needed. It has everything you need. It's easy to follow and understand. I listened to someone on a website that suggested using a slow-cooker to make liquid soap. I bought the slow-cooker and tested it; it doesn't get hot enough to make soap and you won't be able to cool it fast enough in the event of a foam-over, which happens in seconds. I bought a stock pot and a canning pot to make a double-boiler, just like Failor said and it works very well. She knows what she's talking about. There's a lot of experience behind her instructions. After the basic instructions, there is a section Formulating Your Own Soap that teaches you how to go beyond someone else's recipes. In fact, for my first batch of liquid soap, I devised my own recipe, finding a plethora of pertinent information in the book to help me make good decisions. It took six hours, from setting up to clean-up and I have six quarts of nice, clear liquid soap to show for it. Now I'm planning to make smaller batches of one quart each: a dish soap, a conditioning shampoo, a shower gel, and more. This is a fun, useful, new hobby. Thank you Catherine Failor!

5.0 out of 5 stars un incontournable, April 21 2010
c est un must si on désire se lancer dans le monde du savon liquide et le faire soi-meme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Success for Catherine Failor!, Aug. 21 2000
Alexandra Mironov (South San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Making Natural Liquid Soaps is a must-have for your soap library! It's packed with great detailed information on how to make liquid soaps. It gives lots of recipes and step by step information on how to make liquid soaps, shampoos, gels, and more. It is also visually beautiful with many lovely color pictures that inspired me to make liquid soaps. Ms. Failor also has a great chapter on scenting soaps with many creative scent blends for you to try. This is the definitive guide to liquid soaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Instructions, March 23 2014
Prairie Gal (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have always wanted to try making liquid soaps, but have been reluctant because of the extra steps involved. This book gives clear, step by step instructions, along with some very useful photographs, of how to make these soaps. Lots of helpful tips are included to help make your batch of soap a success. The best book I've seen on this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making natural liquid soaps, Feb. 23 2014
This book has excellent recipes and great instructions on making natural liquid soaps. I was a bit disappointed though that there were none that could be made without the use of lye. Since I don't wish to experiment with lye at this time I have not tried any of the recipes. I hope to in the future when I don't have more uninterrupted time!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›