Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on November 10, 2000
I have been making cold process soap for years and was very excited to see this book that teaches you (finally) to make liquid soap through hot process. It is, however, very difficult to follow and there are several sections where the author trips up the reader and confuses the intructions. She also tells us to add color and scent and bottle your product immediately. This made my soap change weird colors and lose it's scent so I do not recommend this from my experience. Store it in a huge sealed tub, leave out the color, scent when it cools and bottle it when you are ready to give it to someone. I was able to turn out a nice batch this way but never felt as though I followed the directions properly. Also, unlike cold process, you cannot find all of your ingredients at the grocery store. You must find a chemical supplier which makes the process a little harder. On a whole, the book is great and unlike anything else on the market. This author continues to publish books that push the soapmaker one step further which I like. Be prepared for a good lesson in patience. This is not quick stuff as it took me a whole day to make my first batch. But like cold process, it gets easier and quicker the more you do it.
on February 5, 2014
I have had this book for several years. It is full off great recepies, my first book on liquid pottasium soaps. It is very informative, has 2 methods of the process, and explained very well. I also have experience with cold process soap making which I'm sure helps. I would recomend this book to anyone wanting to get into liquid soaps. Though I think if you would no nothing about soap making you might want to try somp cold process bar soap recepies first to understand the art a bit more. I didn't give a 5 star scince I find someone could get confused between the 2 methods, but it's unlikely if you follow it carefully. I was able to successfully formulate from scratch wonderful shampoo with nothing but the steps and recepies from this book. When attempting soap making a an accurate digital scale in small increments lbs, grams, oz, and kg is the. Ost necessary investment for this type of work to be successfull.
on October 18, 2000
Don't let the Editorial Review fool you into believing that this book is an easy to follow instruction book. READ ALL THE CUSTOMER COMMENTS BELOW the Editorial Review. Trust me, the book is not for beginners, unless you're already making soaps from complete scratch.
Don't get me wrong, the book is very well written with excellent verbage and illustrations. Catherine Failor knows her stuff and it shows, but this is book was definitely written for the "Professional" soapmakers in mind. There are a lot of chemicals listed and not refered to in "English" for the beginner.
If you're a beginner, I would highly recommend that you head for Catherine Bardey's Making Soaps & Scents book instead. It's well-laid out and its easy to follow format won't leave your mind gasping and spinning with chemical names and equations.
~Michelle Harris
on August 27, 2001
I haven't tried any of the recipes in this book. However, they all look like they are doable and that they should turn out wonderful. I liked the introduction that explained what you need, why and where to get it. Easy to read and understand.
on April 19, 2015