march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports snsflyout Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 25, 2007
This book begs to be read out loud, and mine certainly was -- to anyone who would listen! If you think you might be a bit crazy about your knitting and your stash, welcome to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's world. The text rollicks along and makes you realize that crazy's OK, in fact it's fine.

If you are a knitter used to following patterns, the sock and hat "recipes" will help you to listen when your knitting speaks to you. Entertaining but practical -- a must-have for anyone who loves books and knitting.
on April 13, 2010
My "Knitting Rules" book was my constant companion at the beach, the pool and on the airplane this past March vacation. Thanks to Stephanie's recipe for socks, I was able to knit a pair of pedicure socks (so important to own in Canada when preparing for a sunny vacation!)as well as a pair of socks with toes! I read and re-read chapters and chortled out loud...and had to share it with ladies at the pool! A wonderful gift for knitters and non-knitters. Now I am off to Staples to have it wire-bound before it falls apart...too much suntan lotion and wind, I guess!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 9, 2009
This book is entertaining, fun and encouraging as Stephanie reveals her knitting triumphs, mistakes and misadventures. Anyone who knits or has ever had to rip back a few rows will enjoy this book immensely.

Not only do you laugh along with Stephanie's quips, knitting adventures, and stories, she also gives great advice to knitters on how to deal with knitting problems, patterns, tips and tricks, etc. as well as knitting recipes, and my favourite - suggestions on how to deal with the stash.

I laughed along with this book and I have bought her other books too. You can follow along by reading her highly entertaining blog at [...]

Here are some of her other books: At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much,Free-range knitter: The yarn harlot writes again,Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off: The Yarn Harlot's Guide to the Land of Knitting,Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a KnitterThings I Learned From Knitting (Whether I Wanted To or Not)
on September 27, 2011
I would agree with all the reviews written before mine, but with one more thing to add: The punctuation in "Knitting Rules" is perfection. I haven't had to re-read a sentence once because I didn't understand what was being conveyed. "Knitting Rules" is a must-have for any knitter's library, young or old, novice or expert.
on November 30, 2011
Stephanie has this way of saying things that makes you laugh and relax. We don't have to knit, but we want to. Therefore you should enjoy your time knitting, not fretting and getting frustrated about it. She includes knitting instructions and ideas to cover most basic projects that you may want to try out. She let me get over my fear of sock knitting with this little book.
on March 25, 2016
This book should be put on your bookshelf before any other knitting book. Whether or not you read the Yarn Harlot's blog, her advice is really great, very practical, and her stories help build confidence. This book gave me the freedom to customize patterns, un-vent my own patterns, and more importantly, justify my stash. The recipes/patterns are well written, easy to follow, and full of helpful hints to set you on the road to being a knitter that makes things you really love.
on August 6, 2008
The Yarn Harlot has a quirky and fun sense of humor. The book has "10 Reasons To/Not To" with all of her recipes. Reasons, of course, that have you both laughing and inspired to attempt her fun and easy "recipes". This book also makes a great gift for aspiring knitters.
on January 24, 2008
While I quite enjoy reading Stephanie's essays what I really like about this book is all of her "recipes". I have referred to it many times for sizing and ideas. And, of course, some laughter when the knitting goes so bad you are considering a small bonfire...
on March 24, 2012
Item was exactly as described. Great price, perfect condition, super-fast shipping. I would definitely buy from this seller again. The book itself is classic Stephanie Pearl MacPhee - funny,charming, and full of useful tips -- kind of like the author herself.
on May 30, 2013
I bought this book having just learned how to knit, and since then it has been a go to reference for just about everything, including trying to explain knitting to muggles, keep up the fantastic work Stephanie!