5.0 out of 5 stars No other way to train
As far as I am concerned, there is no other way to raise and train a dog. Hopefully you don't own a shock, choke, pinch or prong collar, but if you do, throw it away and order this book! This gentle, effective training method concerns the whole dog, not just a behaviour issue! I've trained all my dogs this way and I own two obedience (yes obd trials without aversive...
Published on Jan. 16 2004 by Yoko

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremist point of view!!! NOT a fast training method!
This book allows for absolutely NO kind of correction in dog training..It teaches that the slightest correction is abuse!! It is very extremist.(Not that that is bad. Its good in the fact that it makes you aware that HURTFUL violence should NOT be a part of any dogs life.)
The methods taught in here would most likely benefit either a dog who has been sorely abused...
Published on Feb. 26 2002 by Lisa Cole

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to learn to train the dog you love, June 16 2000
This review is from: The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training (Paperback)
Paul Owens has written a fantastic book on how to train your dog without changing who your dog is. I have trained many dogs, and his approach is by far the most fun, and best. He helps in the process by letting you know why things happen, which helps in the how of changing behaivor. It was incredible to see that dogs can and do learn without all the nasty methods that were taught for so many years as the only way. It is going to be my first present to any friend getting a puppy, and especially to those who adopt a rescue. His methods are great for problem solving and will help owners and dogs have a much more fulfilling relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before the Dog, Get this book, June 14 2000
Before you get the Dog, you must get this book. It should be a requirment with any adoption program. It is the best, easy reading book on Dogs and training. Everything that you need in regards to training can be found in the book. I read it like a research book, jumping from topic to topic and before I knew it, I had read the whole book. Excuse the expression but the book is getting a little 'dog eared' from my refering to it and reccomending it to friends. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog Whisperer is a wonderful book, April 22 2000
The message in this book teaches you how to train a dog in a nonviolent maner. I know first hand how effective this kind of traning is and how well it works. My puppy Boxer came from a animal shelter and I have trained her with Paul's techniques. The puppy has come a long way in a very short period of time with the help of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Principles to Get Your Dog to Do What You Want, April 22 2000
Josslyn (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I found Paul's book to be the most useful. I bought it and couldn't put it down until I finished it. Now Mabel, my rescue, and I use it as our textbook. His loving approach with a spiritual undertone works. It's not only good for dogs but for the rest of us, too, in other areas of our lives. Good, practical, easy to understand, simple principles and methods. Highly recommend Paul's way. No violence or broken spirits! It's all about love. Afterall, isn't that what we're all looking for?

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have for anyone with a dog, Feb. 18 2000
Paul Owens Nonviolint approach allows your dog to keep its personality. Where as the other methods break the dogs spirit. the old methods of controlling through domination is just that OLD. This book taught me many things I paid hundreds of dollers to learn by having a in-home-trainer,However this book continued on where my trainer left off. This book also helps you see things from the dogs mind of reasoning and understanding. I was able you use the lessons and get results in as little as 5 min. and as long as I practice what Paul tells us in this book I am a happy dog owner with a dog that obays me very well. There truly is no need for the old way of training and the proof is in this outstanding book. I can not praise this book enough. please if you are going to get a dog or have one already do yourself a favor and get this book.And please do not let any one tell you that those cruel training methods are better until you try this first, you will be amazed.I love the hide and seek game and the "find it" with my dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, Dec 23 1999
Belle (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This is a must have book for true animal lovers. Based on a philosophy of "Raise With Praise", Paul's approach is all about love... and let me tell you, it works! Paul covers every facet of caring for your dog, including: training, a truly healthy diet, and great insight into how dogs think.
I've read alot of books on dogs and this is by far the most original and compassionate approach I've seen. He really makes it fun! We trained our dog to sit, stay, come, crawl.. and absolutely had a blast doing it. His biggest asset seems to be that he really gets animals, he knows how they think and this has allowed him to develop a way to communicating with them that is positive and effective. Enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›