4.0 out of 5 stars It's tough because it's true!
Published on Oct. 13 2010 by Lissak2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this book
Published on April 2 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this book, April 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed reading this book and found it to be quite humorous, I have mixed feelings about it. I agree with the parts that talked about having self-respect and not bending over backwards for someone that continues to treat you like dirt, valuing yourself as a woman, and not be "needy" desperate, and clingy...but the parts I don't really agree with are her advice on games and trickery to keep a man or get him to long for you. If your interested in someone and he's interested in you (and it's a mutual thing) by all means give him a call or at least act interested! Now if he starts acting "funny" and uninterested, that's when you stop calling him or even trying to show interest (whether you're a man or a woman). I'm just wondering if this book really worked, then why is SHE still single.

2.0 out of 5 stars YEAH, I'M A MAN... AND PROUD OF IT, Oct. 15 2003
skeptic "interestedreader" (philadelphia, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This book has some very disturbing ideas.... yes, I can see that every single woman who has read this has given this loud praises for the most part. But why do men have to be portrayed as dumb ignorant brutes.
From the point of view of psychology it seems that the only message this book gives is one of deception, manipulation and trickery. Is this what women want from their relationship.
A lot of women go for jerks because they're constantly caught up in this struggle to have wild ravishing sex with the bad boy, but then when they fall in love and he doesn't they become bitter and then write books like this. They want to change him to a good puppy who'll buy them flowers. If that is what you want realize that the bad boy with the reputation of having had sex with dozens if not hundreds of women is not your best bet to that bouquet of flowers and blissful love.
Instead this book should have made women aware that they should be careful of who they date, who they choose to give their bodies to because yes, women are as involved in the sexual act as the man is. NOW BEFORE YOU ALL BLOW YOUR TOPS NO I AM NOT SAYING THIS APPLIES IN A RAPE SITUATION FOR WHICH MEN SHOULD BE SHAMED AND PUNISHED MOST SEVERLY... AGAIN, REREAD THIS, I AM SAYING RAPE IS NOT AT ALL JUSTIFIED AND THE PERPETRATORS SHOULD BE MOST SEVERELY PUNISHED.
This book caters more to women who've been burned who don't want to acknowledge that they made a stupid mistake dating the sexy hunky jerk and failed in trying to change the very thing that attracted them to him... and on top of that felt betrayed because he didn't fall in love with them the way they did with him.

3.0 out of 5 stars also mixed feelings, April 2 2013
Agree with the whole women having her own independence thing and to never stop living her life... basically having her own set of friends, activities, etc.; a bit of a life SEPARATE from her man and the whole empowerment thing.

Disagree with the "mind game" playing aspect. As previous customers have said, if you have to do this to hold onto your man, you shouldn't be with him. A bit of honesty and communication works. Also as someone else said: unless you're a 12-13 year old and have some marbles up there at maintaining overall relationships and friendships in your life, then you're fine; you don't need this book. Just live your life the way you always did before hand and go with your gut.

This book also doesn't apply if your man is the clingy type or the overall relationship is a clingy one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluff your way to independence, Jan. 13 2003
Salma (Surrey , United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First of all, the book is, as all previous reviewers remarked, written with great wit and a sense of humor which is as charming as the author's pose in her photo on the back cover. The book is full of perceptive remarks which will ring true and valid for many a woman...BUT...the author seems to try to create a coctail between two things that don't mix, a message like that of "The Rules" along with some "woman's lib" consciousness of "dancing to your very own tune". As a result, the book is loaded with outrageous contradictions:
The first two chapters are uplifting and "empowering" telling women why they should play by their own rules...but then, by Chapters 3 and 4, the message deteriorates; in chapter 3, Argov talks about what she defines as "women's sexual powers" with words like " the candy store", and women "exercising that power" by giving "one jujube at a time" and following some "jujube installment plan"...(?!) Women are not seen as creatures with their very own desires, but just as "owners of that which men want" with the whole point being in instructing them in how to "trade it" better...how could that possibly be called "empowering"?..Isn't that the oldest trick in the book?

Then, in chapter 4, there is a further deterioration, where the "empowered woman" of the first two chapters, proud owner of THE candy store in the third, is asked to act like a "dumb fox", and the entire chapter is about how she must PRETEND to be something she is not, and to play a DIFFERENT set of tricks in order to caress man's "poor fragile ego" and make him feel on top, while she tries to get her way with sneaky tactics.....that stuff "empowering"?!.....
Then, the book moves on to the upbeat "dance to your tune" and "be your own woman" bit again...
Then, throughout the book, men are constantly portrayed in an unflattering light that you can't help but wonder "why the trouble?" The unmistakable impression is either of jerks who think they are smart and whom Argov is teaching us how to "dupe"...alternately that of "wolves in disguise" and this is some "101 de-wolfing course" for the little red riding hoods of the world... and, while "instructing" women how-to tricks for the "taming" of men, repeating that the taming process does not stop, there seems to be no belief whatsoever in any inherent goodness that could possibly exist in men, but that such goodness could only come as a result of women's skill at "moulding" them, with a bit of manipulation here, calculation there, sneaky games here, sexual blackmail there...etc..etc..
And while women are told to calculate and manipulate, they are simultaneously told to "define themselves from within" , and to "follow their inner calling" while at the self same time "making the right impression"..That is where the book falters...the two just don't go together, at least not in any sane, balanced individual, and any attempts to convince otherwise is a bluff! Maybe a witty and funny bluff like this book, but a BLUFF nontheless!
For women who need a recipee to ensnare a man at all costs, as long as these women feel "cool" with a relationship founded on never-ending manipulation, as long as these women have no problem pretending to be one person then a complete other at different stages of "the game", as long as they don't mind putting their wits and energy into such a feat on a ongoing basis, and living from the outside in, constantly looking at themselves, checking and calculating that they are making the right impression....if these women don't mind all that, well, this book may well be their manifesto.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's tough because it's true!, Oct. 13 2010
As a longtime 'nice girl' this book is definitely what the doctor ordered. I'm currently in the process of trying to reconcile with my boyfriend of 10 months, and will use the principles I learned in this book. One thing that frustrates me about relationship books is that there is alot of advice about what you should do, but the authors don't actually break down HOW to do it. For example, I've read such advice as 'don't let a man treat you like a doormat.' Great, but HOW??? Sherry's book offered actual examples, phrases to use, how to handle certain situations step-by-step. I hope that I will be able to be stronger after reading this book. It's hard to take, because underneath it all I just want to be loved by the man whom I love. Keeping my distance goes against my natural tendencies, well honed after 31 years on this earth. I'm just trying to remember that men have their OWN natural tendencies, and if I truly want a recriprocol relationship, I need to play the game. And unfortuneatly, it IS a game. As hard as I will try to live by Sherry's philosophy from here on out, I am sad that I must act like I don't truly care about a man to have him. This is no reflection on Sherry's book, it's just my own disappointment with how relationships between men and women really are. I'm battle weary, but I've learned the hard way that putting my boyfriend first always leaves me in last place. I hope that reading this book will change my life for the better!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, I love it, July 6 2014
This book is amazing, I love it... I don't read as much but this book took me one week to complete it...

4.0 out of 5 stars enlightening!, April 27 2014
I have to admit that at first the title of the book bothered me. I thought "why do women who are bitches towards men more successful in relationships?!?" After reading many reviews on the book I decided to give it a try. Wow! Being "nice" really wasn't working for me. Oddly, I'm more confident in many other parts of my life, but when it came to relationships I was too "nice". At the beginning of the book "bitch" is clearly defined...that's what kept me reading. It's about being a confident, strong woman who won't let herself get taken advantage of. As much as it still confuses me how think, this book is worth the read if you feel as though "why is being nice not working for me?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, April 19 2014
This book gives a real life view on how to deal with men in relationships. It definitely helped me see dating in a different light! You'll want your highlighter as there are tons of excellent points and tips!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!, March 27 2014
Jody (Airdrie, canada) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me as funny and insightful. It was neither. It portrays men as infantile, focused solely on sexual gratification, and easily manipulated by the Bitch. I found myself offended on behalf of both women and men. Save your money and your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 4 2014
Really enjoyed the book although it did seem to cater to the young adolescent/young adult rather then the 40+ crowd. Excellent info and an enjoyable read.

CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99