5.0 out of 5 stars A Witty Wake-up Call

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this book
Published on April 2 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this book, April 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed reading this book and found it to be quite humorous, I have mixed feelings about it. I agree with the parts that talked about having self-respect and not bending over backwards for someone that continues to treat you like dirt, valuing yourself as a woman, and not be "needy" desperate, and clingy...but the parts I don't really agree with are her advice on games and trickery to keep a man or get him to long for you. If your interested in someone and he's interested in you (and it's a mutual thing) by all means give him a call or at least act interested! Now if he starts acting "funny" and uninterested, that's when you stop calling him or even trying to show interest (whether you're a man or a woman). I'm just wondering if this book really worked, then why is SHE still single.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Witty Wake-up Call, Oct. 11 2002
H. Sam (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a must read book for all those women who find themselves being treated like yesterdays meatloaf. You know, you'll take it only if you can't have anything better, or you may just say forget it and chuck into the garbage. The author really hits home when she talks about the male appetite for a Bitchy Woman. It's true they do get more respect. I shared this book some friends of mine both male and female and I can't get it back. They keep asking me, "do you mind if I let my friend check it out?" So I fiqured out what everyone is getting for Christmas this year. It truely is an instruction manual to transform a doormat to dreamgirl. It's not always about looks. Attitude is why you see some women getting what they want while little Miss Nicey is home alone thinking "maybe if I bake these cookies just right..." As a man I say GO FOR IT LADIES! Check out the book and use the information to change your way of thinking. Heck, I'm even going to apply some of the techniques to my relationship. I hope they post this review, because I really, really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for women of any age, Jan. 23 2004
By A Customer
Sherry Argov offers invaluable advice about how to maintain your dignity and self esteem in relationships with men. I wish I had read her book 10 years ago! Simple phrases and ideas like, "Maintain your financial independence," "Men don't respond to words, they respond to no contact" "It is your attitude about yourself that a man will adopt" are fleshed out in a no-nonsense, logical format. It confirmed some of my notions about men. But more important, I learned a lot of information I wish I had known all my life. The "Rules" is enough to get started on, but this book explains exactly why being "too nice" does not work. The book will challenge some of your notions about men, and change the rest of them. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluff your way to independence, Jan. 13 2003
Salma (Surrey , United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First of all, the book is, as all previous reviewers remarked, written with great wit and a sense of humor which is as charming as the author's pose in her photo on the back cover. The book is full of perceptive remarks which will ring true and valid for many a woman...BUT...the author seems to try to create a coctail between two things that don't mix, a message like that of "The Rules" along with some "woman's lib" consciousness of "dancing to your very own tune". As a result, the book is loaded with outrageous contradictions:
The first two chapters are uplifting and "empowering" telling women why they should play by their own rules...but then, by Chapters 3 and 4, the message deteriorates; in chapter 3, Argov talks about what she defines as "women's sexual powers" with words like " the candy store", and women "exercising that power" by giving "one jujube at a time" and following some "jujube installment plan"...(?!) Women are not seen as creatures with their very own desires, but just as "owners of that which men want" with the whole point being in instructing them in how to "trade it" better...how could that possibly be called "empowering"?..Isn't that the oldest trick in the book?

Then, in chapter 4, there is a further deterioration, where the "empowered woman" of the first two chapters, proud owner of THE candy store in the third, is asked to act like a "dumb fox", and the entire chapter is about how she must PRETEND to be something she is not, and to play a DIFFERENT set of tricks in order to caress man's "poor fragile ego" and make him feel on top, while she tries to get her way with sneaky tactics.....that stuff "empowering"?!.....
Then, the book moves on to the upbeat "dance to your tune" and "be your own woman" bit again...
Then, throughout the book, men are constantly portrayed in an unflattering light that you can't help but wonder "why the trouble?" The unmistakable impression is either of jerks who think they are smart and whom Argov is teaching us how to "dupe"...alternately that of "wolves in disguise" and this is some "101 de-wolfing course" for the little red riding hoods of the world... and, while "instructing" women how-to tricks for the "taming" of men, repeating that the taming process does not stop, there seems to be no belief whatsoever in any inherent goodness that could possibly exist in men, but that such goodness could only come as a result of women's skill at "moulding" them, with a bit of manipulation here, calculation there, sneaky games here, sexual blackmail there...etc..etc..
And while women are told to calculate and manipulate, they are simultaneously told to "define themselves from within" , and to "follow their inner calling" while at the self same time "making the right impression"..That is where the book falters...the two just don't go together, at least not in any sane, balanced individual, and any attempts to convince otherwise is a bluff! Maybe a witty and funny bluff like this book, but a BLUFF nontheless!
For women who need a recipee to ensnare a man at all costs, as long as these women feel "cool" with a relationship founded on never-ending manipulation, as long as these women have no problem pretending to be one person then a complete other at different stages of "the game", as long as they don't mind putting their wits and energy into such a feat on a ongoing basis, and living from the outside in, constantly looking at themselves, checking and calculating that they are making the right impression....if these women don't mind all that, well, this book may well be their manifesto.

3.0 out of 5 stars also mixed feelings, April 2 2013
Agree with the whole women having her own independence thing and to never stop living her life... basically having her own set of friends, activities, etc.; a bit of a life SEPARATE from her man and the whole empowerment thing.

Disagree with the "mind game" playing aspect. As previous customers have said, if you have to do this to hold onto your man, you shouldn't be with him. A bit of honesty and communication works. Also as someone else said: unless you're a 12-13 year old and have some marbles up there at maintaining overall relationships and friendships in your life, then you're fine; you don't need this book. Just live your life the way you always did before hand and go with your gut.

This book also doesn't apply if your man is the clingy type or the overall relationship is a clingy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved me!!!, March 5 2004
This book saved me from crossing the line AGAIN! I always start out good in relationships (6 months) and then I become clingy and wonder why the guys run. I now have an understanding of how they think, I have to continue to be hunted less I become boring and predictable. I highly recommend this book, I read it in 2 days and thankfully my boyfriend was away while I devoured it. It has been working like a charm!!!! THANK YOU!
I am waiting on the next book....

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my dating life, April 20 2004
By A Customer
I read this book over and over, along with a highlighter and page markers. After a failed marriage and dating a "player," I can say this book helped me gain back my self-respect and confidence. I know I won't be taken for granted, or lose MY identity ever again. This book is written with a humorous touch, and the content is all about believing in yourself, having self-respect, confidence...and not being a doormat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Similar to The Rules, Dec 26 2010
Why Men Love Bitches had much the same content as The Rules - but not as severe. It sets the ground rules for the time which you have already met him and are beginning a relationship. This time around there was no emphasis on who approaches whom. There is little said about how to meet men or attract them. Sherry emphasizes that women in new relationships should not be cooking for him or going out of her way for him. He has to earn his time with you as a valuable woman (a contender). Don't let on that you are over anxious for his phone calls. Women must remain mysterious creatures as this is how men function. They get bored if you're a push-over. Sherry notes that women who behave in the ways that she suggests are not 'playing games' - it is in a man's nature to chase.

It is imparative that anyone reading this book understand that it is a FACT that there are gender differences. And these facts are documented in scientific journals. A very easy way to understand these facts is to read a book called "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" by Barbara & Allan Pease. It is VERY easy to understand, and written in plain English so that 25 year old women like myself can understand it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant! (A definite must-have!), Nov. 3 2007
V. Tran (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I really think that it takes a few failed relationships in order to fully appreciate a book like this. At first I was set back by the term "bitch", but used in this book it means a woman who is independent, strong and able to "hold her own in a relationship".
Like many other women, this book made me realize where I went wrong in my relationships as well as why certain strategies to actively seek out a particular man is not so successful.
In the first chapter alone, Argov has convinced me. I was laughing out loud while I read this book and her genius and humorous ways of talking about a serious matter. I admit I have done almost everything she has said not to do. This is a great book if you'd like to reflect back on a certain relationship of yours that didn't quite work out the way you'd like it to.
Of course, maybe not all guys are so generic, but if you want an explanation for how to interpreted what happened with the guy you are dating then this is the book for you. Not only does she help you diagnose your problem, but she provides helpful tips on how to prevent the situation from happening again. I love it and think that every girl who has ever been in a relationship should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PRACTICAL GUIDE WITH COMMON SENSE ADVICE - A MUST READ!!, May 16 2004
By A Customer
I read your book Why Men Love Bitches and it's the best book that I've ever read -- because it's practical! I've been such a nice girl, and not really understanding why my relationships weren't working out, when really I had everything I needed by just being myself. I've got men now turning their heads because I am a strong woman, but I also realize when a man IS NOT RIGHT for me too. I find that I'm more confident now, I speak up for myself and I don't let anyone put me down. I look out for Number One, and that's me. I can't wait for your new book to come out "why men marry bitches".
I wish that we (both women AND men) had more books out there like yours because you are truly an example of what a woman ought to act like. There are too many women who act like girls and it's embarassing to me and the female gender! It's so sad and if there is one thing that we can change in America, it's to educate women about being themselves and foregoing all of those superficial cosmo magazines and dumb advice.
It's time that we spread the word that women put themselves first. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99