5.0 out of 5 stars A Witty Wake-up Call

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this book
Published on April 2 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about this book, April 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed reading this book and found it to be quite humorous, I have mixed feelings about it. I agree with the parts that talked about having self-respect and not bending over backwards for someone that continues to treat you like dirt, valuing yourself as a woman, and not be "needy" desperate, and clingy...but the parts I don't really agree with are her advice on games and trickery to keep a man or get him to long for you. If your interested in someone and he's interested in you (and it's a mutual thing) by all means give him a call or at least act interested! Now if he starts acting "funny" and uninterested, that's when you stop calling him or even trying to show interest (whether you're a man or a woman). I'm just wondering if this book really worked, then why is SHE still single.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Witty Wake-up Call, Oct. 11 2002
H. Sam (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a must read book for all those women who find themselves being treated like yesterdays meatloaf. You know, you'll take it only if you can't have anything better, or you may just say forget it and chuck into the garbage. The author really hits home when she talks about the male appetite for a Bitchy Woman. It's true they do get more respect. I shared this book some friends of mine both male and female and I can't get it back. They keep asking me, "do you mind if I let my friend check it out?" So I fiqured out what everyone is getting for Christmas this year. It truely is an instruction manual to transform a doormat to dreamgirl. It's not always about looks. Attitude is why you see some women getting what they want while little Miss Nicey is home alone thinking "maybe if I bake these cookies just right..." As a man I say GO FOR IT LADIES! Check out the book and use the information to change your way of thinking. Heck, I'm even going to apply some of the techniques to my relationship. I hope they post this review, because I really, really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for women of any age, Jan. 23 2004
By A Customer
Sherry Argov offers invaluable advice about how to maintain your dignity and self esteem in relationships with men. I wish I had read her book 10 years ago! Simple phrases and ideas like, "Maintain your financial independence," "Men don't respond to words, they respond to no contact" "It is your attitude about yourself that a man will adopt" are fleshed out in a no-nonsense, logical format. It confirmed some of my notions about men. But more important, I learned a lot of information I wish I had known all my life. The "Rules" is enough to get started on, but this book explains exactly why being "too nice" does not work. The book will challenge some of your notions about men, and change the rest of them. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars YEAH, I'M A MAN... AND PROUD OF IT, Oct. 15 2003
skeptic "interestedreader" (philadelphia, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This book has some very disturbing ideas.... yes, I can see that every single woman who has read this has given this loud praises for the most part. But why do men have to be portrayed as dumb ignorant brutes.
From the point of view of psychology it seems that the only message this book gives is one of deception, manipulation and trickery. Is this what women want from their relationship.
A lot of women go for jerks because they're constantly caught up in this struggle to have wild ravishing sex with the bad boy, but then when they fall in love and he doesn't they become bitter and then write books like this. They want to change him to a good puppy who'll buy them flowers. If that is what you want realize that the bad boy with the reputation of having had sex with dozens if not hundreds of women is not your best bet to that bouquet of flowers and blissful love.
Instead this book should have made women aware that they should be careful of who they date, who they choose to give their bodies to because yes, women are as involved in the sexual act as the man is. NOW BEFORE YOU ALL BLOW YOUR TOPS NO I AM NOT SAYING THIS APPLIES IN A RAPE SITUATION FOR WHICH MEN SHOULD BE SHAMED AND PUNISHED MOST SEVERLY... AGAIN, REREAD THIS, I AM SAYING RAPE IS NOT AT ALL JUSTIFIED AND THE PERPETRATORS SHOULD BE MOST SEVERELY PUNISHED.
This book caters more to women who've been burned who don't want to acknowledge that they made a stupid mistake dating the sexy hunky jerk and failed in trying to change the very thing that attracted them to him... and on top of that felt betrayed because he didn't fall in love with them the way they did with him.

3.0 out of 5 stars also mixed feelings, April 2 2013
Agree with the whole women having her own independence thing and to never stop living her life... basically having her own set of friends, activities, etc.; a bit of a life SEPARATE from her man and the whole empowerment thing.

Disagree with the "mind game" playing aspect. As previous customers have said, if you have to do this to hold onto your man, you shouldn't be with him. A bit of honesty and communication works. Also as someone else said: unless you're a 12-13 year old and have some marbles up there at maintaining overall relationships and friendships in your life, then you're fine; you don't need this book. Just live your life the way you always did before hand and go with your gut.

This book also doesn't apply if your man is the clingy type or the overall relationship is a clingy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved me!!!, March 5 2004
This book saved me from crossing the line AGAIN! I always start out good in relationships (6 months) and then I become clingy and wonder why the guys run. I now have an understanding of how they think, I have to continue to be hunted less I become boring and predictable. I highly recommend this book, I read it in 2 days and thankfully my boyfriend was away while I devoured it. It has been working like a charm!!!! THANK YOU!
I am waiting on the next book....

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluff your way to independence, Jan. 13 2003
Salma (Surrey , United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First of all, the book is, as all previous reviewers remarked, written with great wit and a sense of humor which is as charming as the author's pose in her photo on the back cover. The book is full of perceptive remarks which will ring true and valid for many a woman...BUT...the author seems to try to create a coctail between two things that don't mix, a message like that of "The Rules" along with some "woman's lib" consciousness of "dancing to your very own tune". As a result, the book is loaded with outrageous contradictions:
The first two chapters are uplifting and "empowering" telling women why they should play by their own rules...but then, by Chapters 3 and 4, the message deteriorates; in chapter 3, Argov talks about what she defines as "women's sexual powers" with words like " the candy store", and women "exercising that power" by giving "one jujube at a time" and following some "jujube installment plan"...(?!) Women are not seen as creatures with their very own desires, but just as "owners of that which men want" with the whole point being in instructing them in how to "trade it" better...how could that possibly be called "empowering"?..Isn't that the oldest trick in the book?

Then, in chapter 4, there is a further deterioration, where the "empowered woman" of the first two chapters, proud owner of THE candy store in the third, is asked to act like a "dumb fox", and the entire chapter is about how she must PRETEND to be something she is not, and to play a DIFFERENT set of tricks in order to caress man's "poor fragile ego" and make him feel on top, while she tries to get her way with sneaky tactics.....that stuff "empowering"?!.....
Then, the book moves on to the upbeat "dance to your tune" and "be your own woman" bit again...
Then, throughout the book, men are constantly portrayed in an unflattering light that you can't help but wonder "why the trouble?" The unmistakable impression is either of jerks who think they are smart and whom Argov is teaching us how to "dupe"...alternately that of "wolves in disguise" and this is some "101 de-wolfing course" for the little red riding hoods of the world... and, while "instructing" women how-to tricks for the "taming" of men, repeating that the taming process does not stop, there seems to be no belief whatsoever in any inherent goodness that could possibly exist in men, but that such goodness could only come as a result of women's skill at "moulding" them, with a bit of manipulation here, calculation there, sneaky games here, sexual blackmail there...etc..etc..
And while women are told to calculate and manipulate, they are simultaneously told to "define themselves from within" , and to "follow their inner calling" while at the self same time "making the right impression"..That is where the book falters...the two just don't go together, at least not in any sane, balanced individual, and any attempts to convince otherwise is a bluff! Maybe a witty and funny bluff like this book, but a BLUFF nontheless!
For women who need a recipee to ensnare a man at all costs, as long as these women feel "cool" with a relationship founded on never-ending manipulation, as long as these women have no problem pretending to be one person then a complete other at different stages of "the game", as long as they don't mind putting their wits and energy into such a feat on a ongoing basis, and living from the outside in, constantly looking at themselves, checking and calculating that they are making the right impression....if these women don't mind all that, well, this book may well be their manifesto.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my dating life, April 20 2004
By A Customer
I read this book over and over, along with a highlighter and page markers. After a failed marriage and dating a "player," I can say this book helped me gain back my self-respect and confidence. I know I won't be taken for granted, or lose MY identity ever again. This book is written with a humorous touch, and the content is all about believing in yourself, having self-respect, confidence...and not being a doormat!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BOOK!! EVERY WOMAN BLACK OR WHITE NEEDS TO READ!!!, May 17 2004
Kelly J in Covington, GA (Covington, Georgia (outside of Atlanta, GA)) - See all my reviews
I rec'vd this book on 5/16/2004 have already read 195 pages of the 250 in one day! I suggest that all women read this book..because MEN have not changed their stripes and that is all I will say, our advantage in reading this book as I have learned in all of 1 day is to make sure that we can manipulate the situations that they try to put us in and that we are using our minds not our hearts all the time I am doing this b/c I want to and not because I want you to like me we need them to not always be in CONTROL as JANET JACKSON would say and that we do not allow a man to take us for a RIDE without the Fuel we need as Women!...especially the way gas prices are today. That was to be humorous, however make no mistake a MAN needs you to be a woman and when I say a WOMAN he does not a PUSHOVER!---He needs a woman that will stand up for herself and walk the walk with him and talk back to him!...Just read the book today and don't wait!....There is no reason you will have to read another book!---This book is the KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL,LONG,HAPPY and HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP WITH A MAN AND HE BE YOUR EQUAL AND THE RELATIONSHIP IS NOT ALWAYS ONE-SIDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PRACTICAL GUIDE WITH COMMON SENSE ADVICE - A MUST READ!!, May 16 2004
By A Customer
I read your book Why Men Love Bitches and it's the best book that I've ever read -- because it's practical! I've been such a nice girl, and not really understanding why my relationships weren't working out, when really I had everything I needed by just being myself. I've got men now turning their heads because I am a strong woman, but I also realize when a man IS NOT RIGHT for me too. I find that I'm more confident now, I speak up for myself and I don't let anyone put me down. I look out for Number One, and that's me. I can't wait for your new book to come out "why men marry bitches".
I wish that we (both women AND men) had more books out there like yours because you are truly an example of what a woman ought to act like. There are too many women who act like girls and it's embarassing to me and the female gender! It's so sad and if there is one thing that we can change in America, it's to educate women about being themselves and foregoing all of those superficial cosmo magazines and dumb advice.
It's time that we spread the word that women put themselves first. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99