5.0 out of 5 stars This book is really 5 years old?
The author was a bit ahead of her time with the popularity of creme brulee being at an all time high in the U.S. (The pub date is 1998.)
I had creme brulee for the first time just a few weeks ago. I had heard of it, but had no idea what it was. I came home, did a internet search, found the book, and also found out it's such an easy dessert to make at home.
Published on June 14 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Gained 5lbs just looking through this wonderful little book
I'm not sure which is more beautiful: The recipes, the full color pictures, or the married mother of three boys who is the author of Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee and other Custard Desserts. Debbie Puente has put together 70 of her favorite recipes of creme brulee variations that are not just for dessert.

Recipes include: Eggless Creme Caramel; Roasted Red...
Published on Aug. 15 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is really 5 years old?, June 14 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts (Hardcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Great Pictures, May 5 2003
Don Riddick (Birmingham, AL, United States) - See all my reviews
It was a very good book that presents a number of fine examples on Creme Brulee. The photos are great, and the recipes seem easy enough to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars AbSoLuTeLy WoNdErFuL!!! by Cyndi Hansen, Dec 29 2002
By A Customer
This is a magnificent display of creme brulee shown in rare form! Beautiful as well as artful displays of the most elegant dessert on the face of the earth! Delicious is not the word for it. Debbie may not have created the dessert, however she will be responsible for a renewed popularity. Just the photos alone are reason enough to purchase this lovely book. Regarding it being a must have cookbook, it definately ranks with the famous Cake Bible or even LaRousses Gastronomiqe. I also highly recommend her first book, Deceptively Simple, if you can find it (isbn 0-9653010-0-1). Not as fancy a production but packed with punch! A staple for any kitchen library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creme Brulee is my parents favorite dessert, Sept. 7 2002
By A Customer
Every time we go out to dinner my parents order creme brulee for dessert. It is there favorite dessert. I only guessed that there might be a book on about how to make this. I was so happy to find it. I bought this book for them as a present. It is a very pretty book and the pictures are pretty too. My dad made two of the recipes so far and both of them were sooooooo good. The book is very pretty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book! Easy, Easy, Easy!, April 27 2002
Barbara Howard (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The other reviewers have really said it all, but I just want to add my "2 cents." The pictures are so gorgeous, you don't think that you could ever produce anything that wonderful looking, and then you find out that, not only can you, but the desserts that you make, following these easy instructions, are truly the best you've ever tasted! Amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Need to relax? Put yourself in heaven!, April 23 2002
M. J. Smith (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I must admit to being a custard fan - custard and junket custard were among my earliest successes so think 7 or 8 years old. This cookbook greatly expands my custard-based repertoire, especially since dessert cookbooks rarely enter my collection. This collection of recipes includes detailed instructions to the extent that a novice cook could easily begin here. It also provides alternatives. For example, it provides two distinct ways to make "classic" creme brulee. This is followed by 5 pages of variations: Dutch Apple, Bananas Foster, Amaretto Peach, White Russian, Mississippi Mud ...
Similarly, a base recipe for Milk Chocolate Caramel Creme Brulee is followed with variations such as Butterscoth Caramel or Orange Carmel. There are beautiful photos of versions such as Lavender Flower Creme Brulee and Goat Cheese Creme Brulee with Papay Sauce. Want a variation on bread pudding? try Croissant Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. Like your food hot? try Ginger Chile Creme Brulee.
In short, this small volume has everything you would expect and a fair number of real surprises ... and, more surprising, the suprises work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be intimidated by creme brulee!, Feb. 7 2002
This book de-mystifies how to create these beautiful, elegant, and palate-pleasing desserts, which are easier to make than most people think.
The dessert recipes very easy to understand; directions are clear and unambiguous. There are plenty of things that can go wrong when making creme brulee, but Puente's recipes are simple enough for most anyone to make, and elegant enough to impress the elitist snob at your dinner party. The pictures are spectacular enough to make your mouth water at the site(nothing I hate more than a cookbook without pictures!)
From classic creme brulee to (my new favorite) Bananas Foster creme brulee, this book has a creme brulee recipe for any occasion.
My only gripe (and thus, deduction of one star) is the size. It's a very dainty book - for a dainty dessert - but is very small and hardbound which is impractical in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the Creme Brulee Lover, Jan. 22 2001
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
All kinds of creme brulees. This is an outstanding cookbook on a one style of dessert and has many varieties and helps and serving suggestions. Favorite is the chocolate box presentation suggestion. Everyone seems to go for creme brulee!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant & Easy--It's True, Oct. 29 1999
Being a world class kitchen klutz, I wasn't too confident that my first attempt at creme brulee would be a success. Thank you, Ms. Puente, for a lovely little cookbook with simple and complete instructions that even I can follow. That first attempt? Maybe not perfect, but I wasn't embarrassed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even a non-cook can make these elegant desserts, Oct. 28 1999
By A Customer
Saw Debbie Puente on Howie Mandel Show and Martin Short Show, I'd bought the book but hadn't tried the recipes. After seeing how easy it looked, I tried to make creme brulee myself. I not only succeeded, I got rave reviews. For a non-cook, this is amazing. The trite expression is true, "If I can do it, anyone can." (And even the fat-free variety tastes fantastic.)

Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts
Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts by Debbie Puente (Hardcover - Jan. 15 1998)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36