5.0 out of 5 stars Need to relax? Put yourself in heaven!
Published on April 23 2002 by M. J. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Gained 5lbs just looking through this wonderful little book
I'm not sure which is more beautiful: The recipes, the full color pictures, or the married mother of three boys who is the author of Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee and other Custard Desserts. Debbie Puente has put together 70 of her favorite recipes of creme brulee variations that are not just for dessert.

Recipes include: Eggless Creme Caramel; Roasted Red...
Published on Aug. 15 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Need to relax? Put yourself in heaven!, April 23 2002
M. J. Smith (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts (Hardcover)
I must admit to being a custard fan - custard and junket custard were among my earliest successes so think 7 or 8 years old. This cookbook greatly expands my custard-based repertoire, especially since dessert cookbooks rarely enter my collection. This collection of recipes includes detailed instructions to the extent that a novice cook could easily begin here. It also provides alternatives. For example, it provides two distinct ways to make "classic" creme brulee. This is followed by 5 pages of variations: Dutch Apple, Bananas Foster, Amaretto Peach, White Russian, Mississippi Mud ...
Similarly, a base recipe for Milk Chocolate Caramel Creme Brulee is followed with variations such as Butterscoth Caramel or Orange Carmel. There are beautiful photos of versions such as Lavender Flower Creme Brulee and Goat Cheese Creme Brulee with Papay Sauce. Want a variation on bread pudding? try Croissant Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. Like your food hot? try Ginger Chile Creme Brulee.
In short, this small volume has everything you would expect and a fair number of real surprises ... and, more surprising, the suprises work!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gained 5lbs just looking through this wonderful little book, Aug. 15 1999
By A Customer

Recipes include: Eggless Creme Caramel; Roasted Red Bell Pepper Creme Brulee; Roasted Sweet Garlic Creme Brulee; Ginger Chili Creme Brulee; Sweet Corn Creme Brulee; Stacked Banana Creme Brulee Tostada with Cajeta; White Chocolate-Macadamia Nut Creme Brulee; Chocolate Mint Creme Brulee and Classic Creme Brulee. Some non-creme brulee recipes include: Rice Pudding Arroz Duce Style; Apple Brandy Custard Sauce; Croissant Pudding with Whiskey Sauce; Graham Craker Chocolate Cups and Easy Chocolate Bowls.

I have only two problems with this book. The first is that it has broken my cardinal rule by having a few of the recipes require turning of the page to get to the final parts and there are just not enough recipes. The recipes are easy to follow and have all ingredients readily available at most food stores. The book contains several pages of tips and techniques as well as pages of basic information to get even the novice cook to be able to make these wonderful creations. The mouthwatering photographs by Brian Leatart and Rob Outwater enhance this small book to where I think I gained 5 pounds just looking through it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be intimidated by creme brulee!, Feb. 7 2002
This book de-mystifies how to create these beautiful, elegant, and palate-pleasing desserts, which are easier to make than most people think.
The dessert recipes very easy to understand; directions are clear and unambiguous. There are plenty of things that can go wrong when making creme brulee, but Puente's recipes are simple enough for most anyone to make, and elegant enough to impress the elitist snob at your dinner party. The pictures are spectacular enough to make your mouth water at the site(nothing I hate more than a cookbook without pictures!)
From classic creme brulee to (my new favorite) Bananas Foster creme brulee, this book has a creme brulee recipe for any occasion.
My only gripe (and thus, deduction of one star) is the size. It's a very dainty book - for a dainty dessert - but is very small and hardbound which is impractical in the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars popular--and a big mystery... until now, Aug. 25 1999
By A Customer
The most popular dessert in New Orleans (after bread pudding) is creme brulee custard. I have to admit that I had absolutely no idea what was in it or how it was made until I saw the author of this book on the Howie Mandel Show. After viewing the show, I found the book and the little butane torch at Williams-Sonoma, and the same evening, I made my first batch. I was amazed at how easy it was. There is one flaw in the book however and that is that Ms. Puente doesn't adjust cooking times for deeper set ramekins. Where she said my custard should be set in "40 to 50 minutes" actually took more like 60 to 70 minutes, perhaps even longer. For this, I deduct a point in my rating of this book. Other than that, everything else was perfect, including her opinion that using plain old white sugar makes a good topping.
Tom Simmons Sr., New Orleans

5.0 out of 5 stars AbSoLuTeLy WoNdErFuL!!! by Cyndi Hansen, Dec 29 2002
By A Customer
This is a magnificent display of creme brulee shown in rare form! Beautiful as well as artful displays of the most elegant dessert on the face of the earth! Delicious is not the word for it. Debbie may not have created the dessert, however she will be responsible for a renewed popularity. Just the photos alone are reason enough to purchase this lovely book. Regarding it being a must have cookbook, it definately ranks with the famous Cake Bible or even LaRousses Gastronomiqe. I also highly recommend her first book, Deceptively Simple, if you can find it (isbn 0-9653010-0-1). Not as fancy a production but packed with punch! A staple for any kitchen library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creme Brulee is my parents favorite dessert, Sept. 6 2002
By A Customer
Every time we go out to dinner my parents order creme brulee for dessert. It is there favorite dessert. I only guessed that there might be a book on about how to make this. I was so happy to find it. I bought this book for them as a present. It is a very pretty book and the pictures are pretty too. My dad made two of the recipes so far and both of them were sooooooo good. The book is very pretty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even a non-cook can make these elegant desserts, Oct. 28 1999
By A Customer
Saw Debbie Puente on Howie Mandel Show and Martin Short Show, I'd bought the book but hadn't tried the recipes. After seeing how easy it looked, I tried to make creme brulee myself. I not only succeeded, I got rave reviews. For a non-cook, this is amazing. The trite expression is true, "If I can do it, anyone can." (And even the fat-free variety tastes fantastic.)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is really 5 years old?, June 14 2003
By A Customer
The author was a bit ahead of her time with the popularity of creme brulee being at an all time high in the U.S. (The pub date is 1998.)
I had creme brulee for the first time just a few weeks ago. I had heard of it, but had no idea what it was. I came home, did a internet search, found the book, and also found out it's such an easy dessert to make at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time fave dessert finally gets the treatment, May 30 1999
By A Customer
Thank heaven for Ms. Puente and her idea to share with the world the secrets of creme brulee. I love this book, have made many of the recipes, and will tell as many people as I can about it. Why pay $8-$11 dollars for it in a fancy restaurant when for the same money, you can buy her book off amazon and make it yourself? Buy this book if you love creme brulee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book! Easy, Easy, Easy!, April 27 2002
Barbara Howard (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The other reviewers have really said it all, but I just want to add my "2 cents." The pictures are so gorgeous, you don't think that you could ever produce anything that wonderful looking, and then you find out that, not only can you, but the desserts that you make, following these easy instructions, are truly the best you've ever tasted! Amazing!

Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts
Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts by Debbie Puente (Hardcover - Jan. 15 1998)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.51