5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 month old LOVES this book!
This is one of my 10 month old's very favorite books. When he goes to his little bookshelf, this is the book he invariably pulls down and flips though. When I read it to him, he is totally riveted. When he flips through it by himself, I see him touching the ladybugs (since they're 3 dimensional) and exploring the holes on the left.
This book is brilliant and works on...
Published on Dec 16 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Ten Little Ladybugs
This book was an excellent choice to share with preschoolers. The vivid illustrations and ladybugs on the pages attract children immediately. The story has a very predictable pattern that young children can memorize and retell. We have read it many, many times!
Published on Oct. 13 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 month old LOVES this book!, Dec 16 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
This book is brilliant and works on many levels. It's very melodic (great rhyming verses w/out being too sing-song-y). Example: "Ten little ladybugs, sitting on a vine. Along came a caterpiller, then there were..." turn the page and you get "nine little ladybugs...."
Plus, you've got each number on the page represented 4 ways -- on the right, you see how many ladybugs remain (i.e., 10 of them). On the left, you've got the number displayed ("10"), plus the holes add up to the same number, and then the verse at the bottom has the number written out ("ten little ladybugs...")
All the characters throughout the book (the caterpillar, the grasshopper, the turtle, etc.) show up at the end so you it's not like they come & go and are forgotten, and each page is beautifully illustrated. The book is also very well put together and I don't fear that the ladybugs are going to come off when my son grabs them. This book is very well used in our house and it's still holding up incredibly well. We highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars These ladybugs can count!, June 27 2002
Scott Niven - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
My mom gave our son this book at Easter, and it has been one of his favorites ever since.
The concept is playful. 10 ladybugs are on the first page, then 9 on the next page, then 8, all the way down to 1. In each case, the missing ladybug looks like it ran into some misfortune. But then, on the final page, we learn that all the ladybugs are reunited and each have a new friend.
Besides the beautiful artwork that covers every 2-page spread, the book has another bonus for young ones. Each of the ladybugs is 3-dimensional, meaning your son (or daughter) can rub their finger across every ladybug's back as you read the book to them. Our son loves to point at each ladybug and say "This one!" as we count them off. He sometimes even tries to count with us, but his numbering system goes 1-2-5-8!
I think that with time, this book will definitely help our son learn his numbers. I'm sure he is already picking up some numbering concepts just by having us read this book, but maybe in a few months he will be able to read the numbers to us instead.
I also want to take a minute to describe the rhymes on each page. Each page has a rhyme that doesn't get completed until you turn the page. I think this is important, because it keeps our son's interest as he rushes to turn the page and see what happens next. I also think the rhymes will stay in his head, and give him yet another way to get familiar with patterns and numbers.
If you have a child who is into reading but hasn't started caring about numbers yet, definitely check this book out! It's a great (and beautiful) choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, with real longevity of interest, Dec 5 2003
Jess H. Lord (Havertown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
We received this book as a baby shower gift, so our daughter (who is now 9 months) has always had the book. The book is very well done - the artwork is nice, the raised ladybugs are fun, the rhyme is very cute, all that.
What really made the book great for us is that it was one of the first my daughter became actively interested in because of the raised ladybugs. From as early as 4-5 months she was interested in the book, because she could touch the ladybugs. Now, as she's growing, she turns the pages and follows along a little more. As time goes on, she'll grow more interested in the rhyme and the anticipation of completing the rhyme on the next page. It is clearly one of her favorites - it is almost always the first book she pulls out of the shelf, and she'll open it up and start "reading" it herself!
So this is a great book to get early, and a good investment as interest should sustain for quite a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's First Love, March 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
At four months of age, this was the first book that our son really took note of, allowing us to read all the text. He loved to touch the three-dimensional ladybugs on each page. The paintings are colourful and original, and now that our little boy is over 18 months old, he likes to name the creatures on each page, and point them out to us. It is also a counting book (for future reference). This sort of book is preferable to a book about one character. For the baby-toddler, variety is key. Each page has a new bug or creature to see. Babies like repetition, but they are not interested in page after page of the same picture. There's a fun rhythmn to the simple text, but it's the colourful illustrations and three-dimensional ladybugs that we've enjoyed most. It's a special book that we keep on the night-time books shelf, or the mum-and-me-in-the-afternoon table. Costs a bit more than Barney or Elmo, but worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cunning little 3-d ladybugs in a singsong book, June 2 2004
A. Ryan "Merribelle" (Westminster, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
This is the most jazzed-up version possible of the classic rhyme about ladybugs!
So here's the scoop: Ten Little Ladybugs is a board book with bright red, yellow and orange plastic ladybugs permanently embedded into the ten pages (and they each have a variety of spots, just like ladybugs do in real life). Each page has carefully placed cutouts so that when you turn it, the ladybug on that page disappears but the others appear to move to the next spread. What you end up with is a clever rhyming book that teaches simple subtraction with three-dimensional ladybugs.
This book is sturdy, colorful and well-made. The ladybugs show no signs of falling off even after two years of being explored by curious little fingers. My children love the novelty of it and request it again and again. Completely recommended for kids ages one to five.
-Andrea, aka Merribelle

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have..., June 8 2004
Reno Mom "misha_allen" (Ridgecrest, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
As a Child Development Specialist I understand the importance of reading to infants - so you can imagine my disappointment when my baby had an active resentment to my attempts to "read" to her.
Suddenly (like a light switch), at 13 months, my daughter became completely enamored with books. Ten Little Ladybugs is her absolute favorite... and we read it 5-7 times EVERY day. She pulls it out from the coffee table and crawls into my lap for story time. Both the writing and illustrations are magnificent.
Reading this book to my daughter is such a fun experience that I truly believe every child should be fortunate enough to have that important grown-up in their life share this magical book with them.
I now give this book as gifts to all baby and grandparent showers I attend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laila's favorite book, June 7 2003
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
My now 10 month old daughter absolutely loves this book! It is her favorite. We've had it for several months now and she never seems to tire of it. We bring it with us everywhere. She loves to touch the ladybugs and watch them disappear as we flip the pages. The book it beautifully illustrated and considering how often I have to read it, I never get bored with the narrative that accompanies the pictures. Since Laila loves it so much we also got Good Night Sweet Butterflies and that one is just as fabulous. A special thanks to Melanie Gerth for providing such wonderful reading materials for babies (and their parents too!) I am always looking for more by this author and can't wait for another installment. Numbers and Colors have been covered, what's next? Shapes? Keep them coming!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fun book!, Aug. 6 2003
Quincy "Love to read" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
I gave this book to my baby girl to read when she was 8 months old. She loved to touch the 3-D ladybugs on each page while I was telling the story. She was 11 months old now, she starts to point to the pictures in the book and makes exciting noises. Whenever she points to a picture, I will name the picture for her. After a while she starts to associate certain picture in the book with the names given. The only draw back of the book is that the pages are thinner than the normal board book. Some of the pages are badly bended after 3 months of use. I wonder when it will fall apart. There are other books in the series like 10 butterflies, 8 monkeys, 10 stars, etc., but none of the illustration is as cute as this book. I highly recommend this book for your little ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Bugs, June 12 2003
yh132 (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
When our daughter was 6 months, we ordered a bunch of board books to start her library -- Dr. Seuss, Richard Scarry, Curious George, Eric Carle, Sandra Boynton, and others. This one, however, is her favorite! From the first time we opened it, she went straight for the ladybugs.
Our daughter is 7 months now and loves grabbing the ladybugs every chance she gets. She tries her darndest to get the other board books in her mouth, but this one gets a little less wear and tear because she is content to feel the ladybugs and look at the bright drawings. It is a beautifully illustrated story with lines that are fun to read out loud, and I have no doubt our daughter will enjoy this book on other levels too as she gets older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Count With This Cute Book, March 25 2003
TexasMom (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS (Board book)
This is a very cute book. My twin girls love it! They are not even two, and they can count to 10 by counting the ladybugs! The little ladybugs disappear one by one as you turn the pages. My girls love counting them on each page. The pages are very colorful, and there is a new animal on each page (caterpillar, fish, etc...) that causes a ladybug to disappear. My girls love pointing at all the different objects on the page like flowers and bugs and naming them. This is a great book and not just for counting!! The words in the book rhyme too, so it is great for any age from newborn through preschool!! The only thing not great as far as a learning tool is that the numbers go backward, but that can be educational too!

TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS
TEN LITTLE LADYBUGS by GERTH MELANIE (Board book - Sept. 13 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01