5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for professionals/Students in Crime Scene Tech!
I bought this book some time ago, and has been useful from the start. It does, indeed, give basic information on evidence recovery, Balistics, blood spatter, drowning, and other scenarios you may see. It is on a matter of fact based.
If you are looking for reasons why you are preforming these proceedures, I agree, this is not the book for you.
But if you are...
Published on Jan. 1 2004 by Marcelo Figueredo

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on Nov. 1 2002 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for professionals/Students in Crime Scene Tech!, Jan. 1 2004
Marcelo Figueredo (Casper, Wy) - See all my reviews
But if you are looking for do's and don't and want to see how to correctly regonize, secure and recover a crime scene then this is the book for you!

1.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, Dec 15 2002
By A Customer
I guess I should have realised from the title that this book would not be for me. I don't have any background in this, I'm just a regular person studying for a bachelor's degree in Science and I wanted to get a book for interest on this topic. I would have greatly benefited from a sample of the pages inside and I could have seen the structure of it. The entire book is point form and quite bare (not of information, there's tonnes of that, but bare of anything to round it out). It literally is for people actually in the field and if you're not "in the field" then don't even bother getting this book. It is NOT for general interest sake. It is point form, some of the printing is fuzzy in a couple of places, there are only a handful of pencil sketches (that's all the illustration it has). But it does have step by step information of what to do if you're a cop (but I'm thinking if you were a cop, you really shouldn't have to stop to consult a book when you're at a crimescene). There it is, make what you will of this review and good luck.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Nov. 1 2002
Getting started in homicide investigation, and after reading the reviews here, it seemed this was the book for me. Unfortunately this book didn't help much at all. The entire book is in an outline format that just gives bullets on what to do and not to do. It doesn't explain the WHY of any of these things. Without the explainations behind the items, I did not learn anything from this book. I recommend you look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars death Investigator's HandBook, May 6 2002
Steven A. Blase (Narrowsburg, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This is the book! It cover's more then any other book I have read so far. I am retired Sgt. from the NYS Child Abuse Unit, and I have seen the worst of the worst out there, but I wish I had this book with me on every case I ever worked! The information stored in here and procedure's to follow and follow up make it worth reading this book cover to cover as many times as you can! Bravo Mr. Eliopulos, job well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely A Must Read, Nov. 24 1999
This is the most comprehensive book on field investigation I have ever seen. Covers death scene evidence gathering in a manner that insures every detail is observed and that a strong chain of evidence is developed (hope the LAPD has a bunch of these!). As a writer this one is now tops on my list for research involving murder, both for the intrepid police investigator and for the perp to get away with the crime. Excellent book - can't say much more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for field investigators and patrol, July 30 1999
By A Customer
I have read this book and must admit it is probaly one of the best resources in death investigation a officer could have. I have heard "seasoned" officer and investigators tell me that they wished this book was available when they were just starting out. However, it remains a very good reference for officers in any stage of thier career. If you are involved in death investigations in any way BUY THIS BOOK! you will find plenty of usefull information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CRIMINAL JUSTICE STUDENT, July 9 1999
I think this book is a really good tool to learn from for a person that just wants to see how Death Investigation works and for a serious person pursuing a job in the area. I got the book and I couldn't put it down for a minute. At my school, the University of Alabama, we don't have any forensics classes in the criminal justice department on death investigation and when I saw this book I knew it was for me. I have learned so much from this book on all forms of death and this has really sparked my interest in getting a job as a forensic investigator. This book shows you that you never know what will happen next. But most importantly, it covers all the issues down to the precise detail and the right procedure on how to investigate. I know one thing for sure, if I get into this line of work, this book will be like my best man if I ever need a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you wanted to know and more., April 21 1999
By A Customer
This book provides a tasteful look into death investigation. It also provides statistics on just about every part of it (ie. A chart of the speeds one obtains while falling, a look at electricity and what to look for at every step of the way). I highly recommend this book to anyone seriously interested in this subject. It's 800+ pages will answer just about anything you want to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, Sept. 5 1998
Privacy Matters (Earth, This Solar System) - See all my reviews
I have always had something of a special interest in how homicide and forensic investigations are performed. This book is very similar to a text book. It is divided into 3 sections: The crime scene; Homicide Investigation; and a Scientific section. It's very informative as it explains many things that you may not have thought about. For instance, once you are dead, when and where do the maggots, ants and beetles come from. It's all explained in this handy reference manual. Pick it up today, it's worth the money.