5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published on June 18 2003 by intentaccess

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
After reading the reviews of this book I eagerly awaited its arrival hoping to gain some useful design insights. I was pretty disappointed to find that it turned out to be a beginner's guide to developing a web site. This book is well designed and laid out, but the information is really for the beginning web site designer.
Published on Nov. 14 2001 by Mark Twain

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, if you're new, May 7 2004
John Spiegel (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Web Site Design from Start to Finish (Paperback)
First off, for me, the book is 1-2 stars, but it turned that I am not the target market. I thought it better to rate it based on how it addresses those it is intended to.
This book is a quick-read containing good common sense in the process of developing a website. It's organized in the way you would go about the process from identifying what the site should become through publishing it. It also does a good job of giving ideas while staying away from the HTML and specific technologies.
If you already have a good understanding of developing software of any sort, most of the book rehashes what you should already know. There are still some design considerations that may be new, but for the most part not worth the price of admission.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Website Professionals, Oct. 21 2003
Maria Thompson (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I must admit that this book is completely different than most of the website designer books on the market. It goes beyond the call of duty with going into detail about "specific" information regarding running a website business. The book takes you from getting the client thru the entire design and creation page all the way up to completion. I highly recommend it to anyone who is seriously considering/already making money from website design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 18 2003
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This book was very simple and easy to read but at the same time very complete with a wealth of information. The screenshots and illustrations made it that much real. It had wonderful references for book and a lot of helpful websites. It really was excellent because this book cut out all the theories and things you do not have time to read. It went right to the core and where you need to go in order to get the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 3 favorite web design books, Nov. 24 2002
Nan Capris (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book at a [competitors store] actually, on one of my numerous web and graphic design book shopping sprees, and read it cover to cover over the next week. Ann Marie's book is SO GREAT and so unlike *anything else out there* for web design, that I wanted to make sure I gave it a positive review here, to let other web designers know this is a definite must-have.
So first I read the other reviews here and it looks like most people agree that "Start to Finish" is fantastic, there's a couple people who must have thought it was a different kind of book and so gave it a poor review.
So to set the record straight, this is NOT a book just for beginners, though the first chapter is definitely for that group. (How to set up your workstation.) I just skimmed through that one. The rest of the book covers the complete process; and I mean COMPLETE, of getting a web site from an idea in someone's head to live on the web.
The other thing that may trip you up: The author says right up front that this book will *not* teach you how to do HTML or create web graphics. (She says there were already hundreds of those on the shelves when she sat down to write the book, and she lists her favorite "how to" books in the appendix.) So don't buy this book if you're hoping it will turn you into an expert coder, that's not what it's about.
So what IS it about? As Ann Marie says, "it's about everything else." And that's why I found it so valuable, because it's real-world information, tips, and recommended techniques that I've never seen anywhere else. Well at least never all in one place, like this book is. She talks about managing the project, the design process, what and how to develop site architecture, trafficking content, the prototype/client review process, best ways to run a proof meeting, production tips, search engine optimization, traditional and "geurilla" marketing techniques, how to maintain the site, I'm telling you EVERYTHING. How to choose the right host. How to bid. What are the best mailing lists and portals. How to analyze web logs and use that info to tweak the site. And so on.
I've done over 20 web sites for friends and clients and bosses and still learned a TON of "can use it today" type of things from this book.
But to me the main reason I ran over here to review Start to Finish was to let people know how FUN it is to read a computer book written by someone who can WRITE! When was the last time you read a web design book that gave you at least a chuckle or an "ah-ha!" on every page. I see other people here and have mentioned this too. She is the opposite of dry and boring, but she's not glib... she's obviously a gifted technical writer. I have set Amazon.com to e-mail me when she publishes another book, I don't care what it's on, I'm getting it.
Well I guess the only negative thing I was going to say about it is that I found many of the links in her appendix (which I've xeroxed and tacked to the wall in my workstation, it's that helpful) to user groups, design portals, listservs etc. are out-of-date. I know that's understandable. I said I was "going" to say this because I just read her intro to the appendix again and realized that she keeps an up-to-date version on her website, senecadesign.com. I just visited there and saw that it was true, so nevermind!
Buy this book! It's great! But be sure to also buy one about HTML or DHTML or whathave you, because this book doesn't cover that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Truly for the beginner., Sept. 27 2002
Kyle "Manager - San Diego Flash Users Group (... (San Diego, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this book (along with many others) to brush up my technical knowledge of web design. I was rather dissappointed in the novice nature of this book. There was some solid information about how to manage your time and projects; however,I felt that a chapter dedicated to setting up your internet connection was unneccesary. My two cents: great book for the true beginner (and by beginner I mean someone who has only seen a webpage once or twice in their life and has somehow decided to delve into webdesign).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "how-to" resource for web designers, July 31 2002
slamb7 (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book last week and I have already found it to be one of the most useful resources in my research of the web design field. For those of you considering purchasing this book I will warn you that it does not cover in detail any topics related to web development. It also doesn't teach winning concepts using HTML or how to design graphics using the latest version of Photoshop. It is, however, a how-to book to guide you through the actual design process.
I recently entered into the web design field as a freelance artist, but after working with only three clients I realized that I needed direction that extended beyond the usual topics discussed in design manuals. I was specifically having trouble strategizing for meetings with prosepective clients. Most people who will contract you as a web designer will have no concept of the process it takes to design a professional business website. This book will give you an adequate game plan in dealing with these types of clients. It also provides several useful tips on how to effectively manage a web design project. Many intermediate designers (like myself) will find this book to be a little too basic in scope, but I have found it to be an excellent purchase nonetheless. I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very basic and not helpful, July 17 2002
I find this book very basic, not helpful at all. This book has nice graphics but that all it has. Not recommended for those who really lookig forward to learn and understand web site design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Jan. 17 2002
Valerie Kurkerwicz (Midland, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This book provides all the necessary information to help graphic designers make the leap into web design. Ms. Concepcion is definitely a skilled writer and obviously an expert in her field. If you're looking for information that's easy to understand and very informative, this is the book for you! It's a great reference tool and everyone who's thinking of venturing into web design should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best book in the design world I've read., Jan. 16 2002
Stephanie M Mason (Freeland, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This book was absolutely fabolous. This is the only design related book I have been able to read. As an owner of a graphic design studio it gave me and my staff the confidence to venture into the web world. Ann-Marie makes the web design process easy to enter into and dispells the myth that web design is only for the brave at heart. I recommend it a must buy for anyone who wants to enter the web market!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Foundation for Web Design, Nov. 30 2001
This book fulfills its title promise by providing comprehensive professional information on where and how to start when designing a web site. The text is clear, logical and easy to read. The author included a glossary and a host of resouce information. The page design is well done and inspiring. I learned far more from this book than from a $420.00, 6-week state university course on web design. Ann Marie knows her stuff! I recommended this book to my class peers and to the university.

ARRAY(0xb8c55300)

Professional Web Site Design from Start to Finish
Professional Web Site Design from Start to Finish by Anne-Marie Concepcion (Paperback - Aug. 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.38