Most helpful critical review
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
Not what I expected or wanted
on February 27, 2004
A better title would have been, "Creating Textures in Pen & Ink, Enhanced with Watercolor." 75% of each texture comes down to "make a detailed ink drawing". The other 25% is enhancing that ink drawing with watercolor. The pen & ink predominates everywhere. If this is the style of drawing you desire (e.g., detailed drawings where pen&ink predominates), then you will probably give this book 4 to 5 stars. I was looking for watercolor texture techniques and was disapointed.
With that said, the drawings are very well executed and the instruction quality moderate. The author relies too heavily on step-by-step examples as a teaching tool. The addition of color greatly enhances the pen & ink drawings, with spectacular results.