5.0 out of 5 stars A combination of Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Published on Nov. 5 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
Based on the glowing reviews I read about this book, I was delighted to find a new (to me) mystery writer. However, after slogging through the book, I was extremely disappointed. I found the many storylines to be just patched together and the characters very one dimensional. One quirky gesture keeps reappearing in the book -- the number of times that somebody "runs his thumb over Lindsay's lips" or "touches her lips with his fingers" (usually right after digging up some skeleton part - ugh!). All in all, a very juvenile read. Too bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars No comparison to Aaron Elkins or Patricia Cornwell, Jan. 9 2002
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
I was very disappointed in this book. Extremely shallow characters traipse in a straight line across an unbelievable plot of unlikely coincidences.
Even though this book leans on physical anthropology, it is insulting even to place it in the same category with the insightful, intricate, erudite works of Elkins and Cornwell.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot compare to Diane Fallon!, May 31 2014
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
This is the first in the Lindsay Chamberlain series by Beverly Connor. Lindsay is an archaeologist that also gets involved with solving a crime in cooperation with the sheriff.

This is not the first book I have read by this author. I have enjoyed several titles by her from her other series, featuring Diane Fallon, who runs a museum and crime lab, and I enjoyed them thoroughly.

For those of you that are fans of the Diane Fallon series, this cannot compare. I found it to be too boring, not drawing me into the mystery like the more suspenseful Fallon books. It also had elements of romance that were weakly developed and wasted words. There's nothing racy or crude, just boring and awkward romantic moments that detract from the mystery. This will deter most male readers from this book (and series), whereas the Diane Fallon series is appealing to both male and female readers.

By page 85 or so, there was no suspense, no action, and very little to hold my interest, and I stopped reading it, so I cannot rate the ending. I was going to skip ahead, but to be honest, the story had not even developed enough to make me bother skipping ahead. I'm giving it one star and will not likely read another book in this series, but do not avoid this author, as I have enjoyed her other work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A combination of Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones, March 26 2004
M. Hughes (Winnebago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
Look out Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs. Beverly Connor's books are as good as anything written by the two reining queens of forensic science. Connor's heroine is a combination of Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones. Her books are fast paced and extremely entertaining. If you like archaeology or forensics, or if you just plain like a good mystery, give Beverly Connor's books a read. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Archaeology, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
The story begins at a ancient Indian dig and the setting is very realistic. During the excavation, the archeologists discover a skeleton that is not one of the Indian burials. That's just the beginning. The sheriff in the nearby town discovers bones of a child believed to be the missing daughter of one of the residents. Lindsey Chamberlain, a forensic anthropologist as well as an archeologist agrees to identify them for the sheriff. She discovers that the bones are not that of the missing child, but of another child. As she is pulled into the mystery of the murdered children, she is also pulled into the intrigues of a very strange family. I enjoyed the mystery, but I particularly enjoyed the archeology. It was like being on the dig myself. I'm looking forward to the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comfort read, July 9 2002
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
Beverly Connor's debut novel is a wonderful surprise. Forensic archaeologist Lindsay Chamberlain is in the town of Merry Claymoore, GA working with a group digging an old Indian site. Her work is briefly interrupted when the local town sheriff asks for Lindsay's expertise. The town recently uncovered the bones of a child and they needed to identify it. In order to promote good relations with the local townspeople Lindsay agrees to help. During the course of her novel the investigation will lead to a deep family secret kept hidden for several decades after the discovery of a more contemporary body.
What makes this book a joy to read is that Lindsay is not an amateur detective, she is an archaeologist. She is a professional who knows how to do her job and is able to see what others might overlook. She makes it look natural without going through any giant leaps in logic. She has a strong circle of friends that keep her grounded and the reader gets to see her day-by-day job at the archaeological site without making it seem boring. She knows how to keep it interesting by making it look like an ordinary thing.
Beverly Connor is probably one of the most overlooked mystery novelist around. Lindsay Chamberlain holds a lot of promise and hopefully her next novel will be just as enjoyable as this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Series, Jan. 25 2002
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
This series is a favorite of mine. I've read all the books in the reverse order of their publication---starting with Airtight Case (which is my favorite). I thoroughly enjoyed each one. I gave this one 4 stars instead of 5, because I thought Connor did a better job in the other books of defining the characters. That's not to say I didn't like this one, I liked it very much. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series. (Where is it, by the way?)

5.0 out of 5 stars I had fun with this, Jan. 20 2002
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
I had the opportunity to volunteer at an archaeological dig one summer 5 years ago and had a great time. This book was so much like that experience (except for the murders) that I had to laugh out loud at several of the passages.
I particularly enjoyed the use of archaeology to form the basis of the clues that Chamberlain saw at the murder scenes. Good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful mystery, absorbing read., July 19 2001
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
Lindsey Chamberlain is a wonderful heroine, supremely self-confidant, self-assured, and intelligent. She's a forensic anthropologist and an archaeologist who specializes in bones. She's on a dig in Georgia when she discovers some bones that shouldn't be there -- too recent. I thoroughly enjoyed this book; I found it a fast, absorbing read, and I felt like I had learned something when I finished it.
I will admit that this is not my favorite novel in the series -- I feel that Ms. Connor is still discovering who this character is. I prefer the more recent novels, like "Skeleton Crew" and "Airtight Case" -- the author's voice seems more certain and sure.
But, even so, I still enjoyed this novel very much. I highly recommend it to any mystery lover!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and story, July 12 2001
This review is from: A Rumor of Bones (Paperback)
Someone recommended this series to me along with Kathy Reichs books about Tempe Brennan. Both series focus on forensic anthropology with a lot of detail and scientific fact. While Reichs books focus mostly on the crime stories, Connor also throws in a heaping dose of archaeology. I've read two of the Lindsay Chamberlain stories so far--I wish the books were easier to find, they are so enjoyable. A Rumor of Bones is worth the price just for the scene with the radio in the tree. I laughed out loud and still chuckle to myself thinking about it. I'll be looking out for the rest of the novels in the series, and I hope to read more Lindsay Chamberlain novels than the five currently in print.

A Rumor of Bones
A Rumor of Bones by Beverly Connor (Paperback - March 1 2001)
CDN$ 8.99