summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 24, 2015
Big Fan of the show, I was late getting into the Walking Dead in it's original format (Graphic Novel), unfortunately due to the fact there wasn't colour. Shame on me it seems, I ordered the first one last month and I've already got 5 more. The novels are phenomenal; the show doesn't follow the book as closely as I would have guessed. The book is raw, fast paced and more intimate. If you are just getting into Graphic Novels like me, then this series should be on your shelf. Thanks to other reviewers I have also acquired the Locke and Key Series, The Preacher Series, Y The Last Man Standing Series and love them all! I plan on having a dedicated book shelf to these glorious collections one day. Seems like there are so many other recommended titles out there I haven't had a chance to explore!
on March 21, 2009
I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to recieve Volume 2 in the mail. It is in black and white, and has nice artwork. There is some great shots of Zombies bitting the dust.

I think the story is really character driven. There is some good action as well, but naturally it isn't a bunch of super heroes slaughtering Zombies left and right. Instead these are humans trying to survive, and you can feel their plight. It really drives home what a zombie appocalypse might feel like. Especially the mental issues (breakdowns etc.) that the characters go through.

Also this is one of the better Hardcovers I bought, nice thick durable cover, without a slip cover. The paper quality didn't feel cheap or anything. No wasted pages on bonuses, but some fantastic art included at the end.
on July 5, 2012
First off these hardcover editions that Image is putting out for Spawn and Walking Dead are amazing. There is no slip cover so the cover you see in the picture is actually printed on the hardcover which is awesome because you don't have to worry about damaging the slip cover.

This collection begins the walking dead epic if you are a fan of the show and want to learn more about the walking dead universe this is a great place to start. It is very different from the show in the sense that the core of the stories is there but the TV show does diverge off into its own set of stories. This collection is fantastic the black and white really conveys the end of the world hopeless feeling you get from the walking dead. The glossy pages really bring out the black and white art of Tony Moore (who leaves the series a few issues in) and Charlie Adlard. Robert Kirkman has a great grasp of Dialogue and really makes you feel for the characters. The best part about these stories is nobody is safe, there is no horror movie rule book anyone can and will be killed and it makes for fantastic on the edge reading.

If you are a collector like I am you will love collecting these books they look awesome side by side on your shelf and really become a Jewel of any collection.
on December 4, 2013
This series I was not hooked on right away. I began watching the show and someone recommended the books. I thoroughly enjoyed the show but love the books even better. The books captures you in and always has a turning corner as any character you get attached to could die at any moment. Very unpredictable and more graphic than the tv series.
on January 8, 2015
Love the TV series, can't wait to start reading the comics. I ordered all 10 HC walking dead comics for a good price. A couple comics came a little scrunched up around the corners but otherwise I was very pleased with the purchase.
If you're a Walking Dead viewer wondering if the comic is as good as the series -- the short answer is yes. In some ways, the show has transcended the source material, and as someone who followed the comics before the series, I don't say that lightly. But in other ways, the comic is incredibly powerful, and remains the soul and center. One thing Kirkman, Adlard, and the writers of the show deserve praise for is the way both storylines have diverged. 'The Walking Dead' is essentially two parallel worlds, and both have really bad luck. If you know the comic, you will still have no idea what's going to happen in the show, and vice versa. There are moments where both stories seem to coalesce, but then break apart to follow separate roads once again.

This is the format to buy, without question. The deluxe hardcover is larger, the 8" x 11" oversized edition instead of the standard 7" x 10". Each hardcover book contains two of the softcover volumes; so Book 1 collects Volumes 1 and 2. Every storyline is about the same length -- 6 comicbook issues. So the Volumes are around 150 pages, and the Books are a bit longer, 320 or so pages; they come with extras -- like the original single-issue covers, and miscellaneous artwork from Charlie Adlard and Tony Moore -- that the softcover Volumes do not. While Adlard has been the series artist for a very long time, and does a brilliant, remarkably quick, and consistent job, Tony Moore's art in Book 1 played a big part in the success of 'The Walking Dead'. He's one of the many artists I consider a 'favorite', but he couldn't keep up with the unforgiving monthly pace. Pricewise, each oversized, extra-long hardcover Book is about the same price as the two softcover volumes it collects. Highly recommended.

P.S.: The Compendiums are the most affordable way to pick up the comic -- collecting 48 single issues/8 Volumes/4 Books/2 Omnibus(es) (Omnibae?). They're a bit awkward though. The Omnibus is the super-deluxe format, similar to the Absolute Editions from DC. Image does as excellent job producing each.
on October 12, 2008
It's pretty rare I become so addicted to a book or graphic novel that I literally have trouble puttng it down. This whole series is a fantastic drama about survivors of a zombie holocaust.

It delves into the characters an stories more than Romero ever could, and the action doesn't ever let up. The constant twists and turns reminds me of being addicted to Lost when it first came out.
on May 22, 2014
I started out as a fan of the show, and then decided to read the books. The show has you feeling anxiety and "when-will-this-situation-resolve" tension, but that came from the show's directing - not the original writing in the books. In the books, the storyline moves way too fast, which ruins the suspense. The character development is also harmed by the pace of the story. If I hadn't watched the show first I don't think I would have actually known who the characters were, even by the end of this volume.
on June 29, 2015
I'm not really a big graphic novels fan but I really enjoyed this and I will probably continue on to read the rest of the series. The novel provided a lot more information than the Television show which I've been watching for over a year now.

I'm not really enthused with the stark differences between the television series and the book series and if I had to choose which one to live without it would be the television series.
on October 20, 2015
Great quality book, loved the extra illustrations. It arrived after just a couple days, well before the estimated delivery date. I'm definitely hooked on these books now and Amazon has the best deal on them I've found.