Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: HardcoverChange

on March 21, 2009
I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to recieve Volume 2 in the mail. It is in black and white, and has nice artwork. There is some great shots of Zombies bitting the dust.

I think the story is really character driven. There is some good action as well, but naturally it isn't a bunch of super heroes slaughtering Zombies left and right. Instead these are humans trying to survive, and you can feel their plight. It really drives home what a zombie appocalypse might feel like. Especially the mental issues (breakdowns etc.) that the characters go through.

Also this is one of the better Hardcovers I bought, nice thick durable cover, without a slip cover. The paper quality didn't feel cheap or anything. No wasted pages on bonuses, but some fantastic art included at the end.
on October 12, 2008
It's pretty rare I become so addicted to a book or graphic novel that I literally have trouble puttng it down. This whole series is a fantastic drama about survivors of a zombie holocaust.

It delves into the characters an stories more than Romero ever could, and the action doesn't ever let up. The constant twists and turns reminds me of being addicted to Lost when it first came out.
on July 5, 2012
First off these hardcover editions that Image is putting out for Spawn and Walking Dead are amazing. There is no slip cover so the cover you see in the picture is actually printed on the hardcover which is awesome because you don't have to worry about damaging the slip cover.

This collection begins the walking dead epic if you are a fan of the show and want to learn more about the walking dead universe this is a great place to start. It is very different from the show in the sense that the core of the stories is there but the TV show does diverge off into its own set of stories. This collection is fantastic the black and white really conveys the end of the world hopeless feeling you get from the walking dead. The glossy pages really bring out the black and white art of Tony Moore (who leaves the series a few issues in) and Charlie Adlard. Robert Kirkman has a great grasp of Dialogue and really makes you feel for the characters. The best part about these stories is nobody is safe, there is no horror movie rule book anyone can and will be killed and it makes for fantastic on the edge reading.

If you are a collector like I am you will love collecting these books they look awesome side by side on your shelf and really become a Jewel of any collection.
on December 2, 2010
I had heard some people talking about this series. Then I saw the news about it being turned into a TV show. I wanted to see what all of the buzz was about. I'm so glad I did.

I didn't want to stop reading these comics. This first set in the series has me hooked.

You're drawn in to the story from the first few pages. It expertly fleshes out the characters and all the issues they are facing in a time of crisis. It dives deep into their minds and explores what real people would actually do in the event of a zombie appocalypse. (You never know, it could happen with all the experimental chemical weapons nations have been creating over the years.)

The presentation of the book itself is excellent! It's a very sturdy hardcover book. Well worth the money. The little extras in the back are great too.

I also really enjoyed the art styles used in these comics; the artists are insanely talented individuals.

I'm ordering the next couple of hardcover books shortly. I would highly recommend this comic book series to anybody who enjoys a great story, amazing artwork...and zombies. Haha!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 25, 2015
If you're a Walking Dead viewer wondering if the comic is as good as the series -- the short answer is yes. In some ways, the show has transcended the source material, and as someone who followed the comics before the series, I don't say that lightly. But in other ways, the comic is incredibly powerful, and remains the soul and center. One thing Kirkman, Adlard, and the writers of the show deserve praise for is the way both storylines have diverged. 'The Walking Dead' is essentially two parallel worlds, and both have really bad luck. If you know the comic, you will still have no idea what's going to happen in the show, and vice versa. There are moments where both stories seem to coalesce, but then break apart to follow separate roads once again.

This is the format to buy, without question. The deluxe hardcover is larger, the 8" x 11" oversized edition instead of the standard 7" x 10". Each hardcover book contains two of the softcover volumes; so Book 1 collects Volumes 1 and 2. Every storyline is about the same length -- 6 comicbook issues. So the Volumes are around 150 pages, and the Books are a bit longer, 320 or so pages; they come with extras -- like the original single-issue covers, and miscellaneous artwork from Charlie Adlard and Tony Moore -- that the softcover Volumes do not. While Adlard has been the series artist for a very long time, and does a brilliant, remarkably quick, and consistent job, Tony Moore's art in Book 1 played a big part in the success of 'The Walking Dead'. He's one of the many artists I consider a 'favorite', but he couldn't keep up with the unforgiving monthly pace. Pricewise, each oversized, extra-long hardcover Book is about the same price as the two softcover volumes it collects. Highly recommended.

P.S.: The Compendiums are the most affordable way to pick up the comic -- collecting 48 single issues/8 Volumes/4 Books/2 Omnibus(es) (Omnibae?). They're a bit awkward though. The Omnibus is the super-deluxe format, similar to the Absolute Editions from DC. Image does as excellent job producing each.
on May 22, 2014
I started out as a fan of the show, and then decided to read the books. The show has you feeling anxiety and "when-will-this-situation-resolve" tension, but that came from the show's directing - not the original writing in the books. In the books, the storyline moves way too fast, which ruins the suspense. The character development is also harmed by the pace of the story. If I hadn't watched the show first I don't think I would have actually known who the characters were, even by the end of this volume.
on October 5, 2009
Now, I'm fairly new to the whole comic scene, though in the past few months, I've overwhelmed myself with back issues, current issues, graphic novels, and hardcover books containing collections such as this one (my wallet hates me for this hobby and my need to cover all angles!) and this one is right up at the top.

The story is fantastic, and the people are fleshed out, and react in ways which you can relate with if you were in their shoes. The fact that the book is intense, and thrilling when zombies are basically second to character development says worlds about the writing. Robert Kirkman has a skill that'll have you flying through the pages (though don't go too fast and miss the great art!) and leave you craving for a zombie craves brains! (Okay...that was lame, I'll admit.)

The art, done by both Tony Moore (First half) and Charlie Adlard (Second half) is all around great. You'll notice the change right away, and it'll take a few pages to get used to it, but they're both so we'll done and similar enough that you'll fall back into the groove fairly fast.

I finished this entire book in one sitting and I'm eagerly awaiting book 2, 3 and 4. Here's hoping this one continues to run for a long time to if it were being chased by a zombie! (Okay, that one was even worse...)

Highly recommended to anyone looking to read a fantastic story, with beautiful artwork!
on March 14, 2012
I've never been into graphic novels until I started to read the Walking Dead. Of course I watched the TV show first, I will admit that, but the graphic novel is a lot more interesting to me. I would suggest it to anybody who is interested in getting into comics and anyone who is just willing to read something new!
on April 24, 2015
Big Fan of the show, I was late getting into the Walking Dead in it's original format (Graphic Novel), unfortunately due to the fact there wasn't colour. Shame on me it seems, I ordered the first one last month and I've already got 5 more. The novels are phenomenal; the show doesn't follow the book as closely as I would have guessed. The book is raw, fast paced and more intimate. If you are just getting into Graphic Novels like me, then this series should be on your shelf. Thanks to other reviewers I have also acquired the Locke and Key Series, The Preacher Series, Y The Last Man Standing Series and love them all! I plan on having a dedicated book shelf to these glorious collections one day. Seems like there are so many other recommended titles out there I haven't had a chance to explore!
on April 21, 2012
I love how the book is made and the quality of the book,there is a lot of differences
from the tv series,i could not be more happy with this book and cant wait to read them all.