4.0 out of 5 stars Ambitious and Rewarding
Published on Aug. 3 2011 by Jeffrey Swystun

3.0 out of 5 stars Rattled
This book is full of great ideas but is executed with clumbsy writing. I found the story difficult to follow and the characters only partially realized. I finished it ... but I forced myself to ... not high praise. On the upside, I learned a lot about early American history ... well researched, realistic depiction of the time.
Published on March 31 2009 by Dave and Joe

4.0 out of 5 stars Ambitious and Rewarding, Aug. 3 2011
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America (Paperback)
It took time for the novel to come together but once momentum was found, it was an infectious read. My initial struggles involved the lack of clarity among the characters, a dense plot involving many angles that eventually pay off, and a lack of pace in the first half of the book. The colonial America envisioned by Pattison harkens back to the atmosphere and detail employed by James Fenimore Cooper. He introduces Scots, Irish, Welsh, English, and the various tribes occupying the Eastern seaboard up to the Great Lakes. The affinity between the displaced Highlanders and the tribes is based on historical fact and makes for an amazing backdrop for the novel. Many mysteries make up the plot including murder, sedition, greed, class, race, spirituality, and an old world facing eradication in the face of rapid change. It may take some work to get through all that goes on in this ambitious story but you will be rewarded. I look forward to Pattison's follow-up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rattled, March 31 2009
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America (Paperback)

Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America
Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America by Eliot Pattison (Paperback - Jan. 1 2009)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40