5.0 out of 5 stars I couldnï¿t have done it without this book., Sept. 17 2003
Jeff Stone (ITT Technical Institute.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children (Paperback)
As a college English instructor, I've read a number of books on writing. None of them compare to Crafting Stories, and none of them have affected me so personally. I read Crafting Stories cover-to-cover twice, and both times something magical happened. The first time through, Nancy Lamb's no-nonsense approach to writing forced me to rethink and reshape my first novel into something that was immediately accepted by a renowned literary agent. Several months later, I was at wit's end trying to figure-out how to tie up some loose ends before my agent would send the final draft out to editors. I decided to revisit Crafting Stories, and the answers became apparent at once. My rewrite was accepted without a single change, and it's currently being considered by five of the largest publishers in the United States. There's no way I could have gotten this far -- that fast -- without Lamb's uncanny ability to succinctly describe the intangible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight for all writers--germainehawkins.com, May 7 2004
By A Customer
As a writer I have read a ton of books on all aspects of fiction and nonfiction writing. I have a complete outline for a line of children's book, so I purchased this book for insight particularly into the children's genre. However, this book is a must read for all fiction writers. It certainly is geared toward children's books, but dicusses all the fundamentals from structure to scenes to voice. It was one of the most comprehensive books on fiction that I have read. And it was a delight to read. It has a nice, easy flow with examples and touches on all aspects of fiction writing. Whether you are writing fiction for children or adults, all writers could greatly benefit from this book. Again, great read and very informative!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book for any aspiring fiction writer, July 19 2010
Barbara "Nature Lover" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've read this book 2 1/2 times and I have to rave about it. I bought it based on the reviews and they are correct and then some. This book is a must have for anyone who wants to write fiction, even if it's not for children. The principles are very much the same.

Nancy Lamb gives clear examples throughout this book on techniques such as structural design, plot, sub plots, scenes, point of view, voice and tone, characters, mid story crisis, etc., etc. Chapter headings are Foundation & Structure, Structual Supports, Interior Designs, and Finishing Touches. She covers everything, even how to deal with that inner critic.

Her writing style is very comfortable to follow and easy to read. I too, like another reviewer, experienced something inspirational and magical while reading this book which really helped my creative muse. Ms. Lamb helped me to rethink the structure and plot of my book with a better understanding of where I was going and how to carry the story through. She uses solid examples taken from popular children's books throughout to demonstrate her point and I think that's what I found most useful. She teaches you to analyze the techniques in the books that you read to see how they are written, what the author was doing--that was amazing and I'll never read a book the same way again... "reading in a way that teaches you how to write".

She has lots of tip pages like "Nancy Lamb's Twenty-Six Steps to Good Writing". Many of these I want to pin up next to my computer as I write to check against each chapter. For example, "Does it carry the scene advance the plot or develop the characters? If not rewrite it or get rid of it".

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a great book, Aug. 21 2003
Gary Riley (Webster, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Not only is this book packed with useful information about writing, it's presented in such an engaging manner that you almost forget you're reading the book to learn something. A lot of the information deals specifically with writing for children, but even if you're writing for adults I think there's enough in this book to make reading it worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars She has been there and wants to share. An absolute jewel., Aug. 1 2003
Cherine B. Schofield (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
I don't think I've ever read a "how to" book that was this much fun. Often they are so dry and textbook-like one has to make an effort to continue reading them; it's more like a chore. This one is a pleasure to read. Mrs. Lamb's sense of humor is absolutely wonderful. Not only that, her suggestions have helped me considerably in my writing. Seldom does one find such a jewel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the very best texts on writing, May 4 2003
Some months back I received unbidden a copy of The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children. Looking at the "for Children" part of the title, I briefly considered it for possible use as a reference for any of my students who might be interested in writing children's books. I put the book on the shelf and forgot about it. Finding myself recently in search of something that might deal intelligently with plot, I picked the book up and gave it the consideration I should have when it first fell into my hands. I found in it not a book for the writing of children's literature, but perhaps the most lucid, accessible, well organized, relevant, complete and credible work on fiction writing in my entire collection of texts on writing. I found my own ideas said better than I can say them myself. What is said in this book resonates with so much validity and clarity that I am sorry that I have wasted so much of my time and my students' time trying to teach without this text. I have corrected that situation by reorganizing the reading materials for my workshops, making The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children a required reading and a central part of our discussion.
Charles Connor, Director
Harriette Austin Writing Program
The University of Georgia

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Main, Author of Young Adult Novels, July 9 2002
Mary Main (Pacific Palisades, California United States) - See all my reviews
Reading this book is not only instructive but pleasurable. Lamb's voice is that of personal tutor, mentor and friend, giving good solid instruction in storytelling and instilling courage into the writer who falters along the way. Nancy Lamb has experienced the angst and the ecstasy of creativity, and every page is chock full of her humor, knowledge and sensitivity. I wish I had owned this book before writing my first young adult novel! I highly recommend it to beginning as well as accomlished authors. There is something here for every weaver of stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Helpful Book Ever!, April 28 2002
Debra Young Krizman (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
What a perfect book for every wordsmith from the aspiring writer to the published one. Nancy Lamb has much to offer any creative individual--not only writers of children and young adult books. Her advice is succinct, wise, humerous, and inspiring. If you can only purchase one book then this should be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is jam packed with a lot of info., March 11 2002
Deb (Maple Shade, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
I couldn't stop reading this book. I have read a lot of books on writing but they were all too simple and had stated what I already knew.
I wanted a book that had information I could use and to explain what items editors looked for when accepting a story. This is the book ALL writer's should read and own, so they can include it to their library of writing references! I know I am glad I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential reference, June 9 2011
I have read this book twice, and like a treasure, I discover something new each time. This book is a tight, well written resource. No matter what genre or classification you write in, this book is an indispensable asset to ANY writer. A definite must read.

The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children
The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb (Paperback - Sept. 20 2001)
CDN$ 20.99 CDN$ 15.15