5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and functional, June 28 2003
Peggy Vincent "author and reader" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flip Dictionary (Paperback)
Hard to describe how useful this book is. Tell people about it, and they're likely to say, 'Oh, you mean a thesaurus,' and you say, 'No, not exactly,' and then they say, 'Oh, a reverse dictionary?' and you say, 'No. Better.' It's for those times when you sort of know what you're trying to say, but you either can't think of the word or you've used a word too much and you need to jiggle loose from your cranium some new ways of trying to say it. And it leads you on and on down an ever branching set of references so pretty soon you find yourself just sitting down and reading the Flip Dictionary instead of writing. It's that much fun.
An invaluable resource, recommended to me by a fellow writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Fun, April 25 2004
Simeon Hein "Planetary Intelligence author" (www.OpeningMinds.info, Boulder, CO, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flip Dictionary (Paperback)
The Flip Dictionary contains all sorts of word alternatives for words and word ideas. When you are writing, and you keep using the same word over and over, or can't express a word clearly, this is the book to turn to. In addition to being an indispensable writing resource, it is a lot of fun to read if you are a word lover. The Flip Dictionary also contains many interesting sidebars for words with many derivatives and alternate possibilites. I keep it on my desk at all times.
(Dr. Simeon Hein is the author of Opening Minds: A Journey of Extraordinary Encounters, Crop Circles, and Resonance (Mount Baldy Press, Inc., (2002))

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any writer!, Aug. 7 2003
Sammy Sue (Dayton, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flip Dictionary (Paperback)
I first saw this dictionary at my library. I thought it would be very useful when I write. I write all of the time. Sometimes I get stuck at a certain word or phrase. I know what I want to say but I know there's a better or different way to say it. I would flip through the book and find exactly what I needed. And since having the dictionary--I went out to buy one for myself--my writing has improve. I'm not using little words as often in my writings. I think every writer--or anyone for that matter--should get this dictionary. It'll help improve your vocabulary. I know that I'll be using this book for while! ^_^

5.0 out of 5 stars My "Must Have" book, May 7 2014
Sylvia Holt (B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flip Dictionary (Paperback)
This book was love at first flip for me. It's been within easy reach ever since. I use it constantly and wonder now how I ever got along without it.

Flip Dictionary
Flip Dictionary by Barbara Kipfer (Paperback - Feb. 1 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 31.32