Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage summerbaby Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cook Cycling Tools minions

Comedy Writing Secrets
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.43+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 4, 2014
I bought this book as a PDF from their website and I loved it so much I had to get a hard copy! I really like how they break humor down into different categories, give you LOTS of examples of ways that humor is used in stand up comedy and writing, and give you exercises to help you create funny anecdotes of your own. It just puts you in the mindset to find more funny material in your everyday life.

This is a keeper for anyone who is writing, speaking and communicating with others on a regular basis. Humor is the single greatest way to disarm people and have a positive influence (I read that the average popular TED talk has a joke a minute so humor is SUPER important in communicating whether you're a business person or a public speaker!). This book will help you understand jokes and being funny even if it's not your natural ability.

Here's a funny one from a section discussing how to use numbers to be funny ... something I've not thought of specifically.

"The average man speaks twenty-five thousand words a day. The average woman says thirty thousand words a day. Unfortunately, when I get home at night, I’ve spoken my twenty-five thousand, but my wife doesn’t start hers until we get into bed.
—Michael Collins"

They discuss how using a wide variety of numbers can be really funny and how math is usually logical but when there’s a lapse in the logic surrounding or involving numbers, it has the potential to get some laughs. That's just one example from just 2 pages of this great book.
on September 28, 2014
Excellent book for comedy writers. Plenty of examples, writing exercises, and brainstorming techniques to help any aspiring comic.
on October 16, 2014
I picked this book for my husband, who has been wanting to learn comedy writing for years. I read previous reviews and chose this one. My husband loves this book and finds it simply brilliant.