5.0 out of 5 stars Nutrition Matters
Published on Dec 31 2007 by Warren Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Another book who pretend it can save your life... Miracle don't exist!
That book will not prevent or reverse your heart disease, in fact if something revolutionary really exist and will be able to reverse and prevent heart diseases, it will be already use by all the cardio doc all around the world. It's more like a diet that you need to follow and whatever all the vegetables you will eat, trust me it will not save your life... It's to...
Published 7 months ago by vinnievince37

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nutrition Matters, Dec 31 2007
Warren Green (Peterborough Ontario) - See all my reviews
One of the pioneers in demonstrating the power of plant-based nutrition to contemporary North America, this man has an impressive resume. I first met Dr. Esselstyn through a DVD. There were a number of excellent speakers at the 2005 Vegsource Healthy Lifestyle Expo, but his presentation really made the purchase of these DVDs worthwhile for me. So much so, that in 2006 I spent 3 days on a bus to meet him (and others) in person, in California.

My father, grandfather, and great grandfather, all died young from heart attacks. My father being the youngest at 42. For most of my life, I didn't put that much stock in nutrition. (Although I had a mother who did!) Until my running took a bit of a hit in my mid-forties, I thought being fit was much more important than what I ate. I no longer think that way!

I'm sure it will be difficult for many people raised in our North American culture to comprehend the profound changes that take place in the biochemistry of the human body, with the adoption of a whole foods, plant-based diet. But Dr. Esselstyn has some very impressive angiographic evidence, along with the patients from his study, and should convince the skeptics, this works!

While I appreciate the simplicity of Dr. Esselstyn's message, I do eat small amounts of wild salmon from time to time, as well as a few raw nuts and seeds. Also, a lot of Caldwell Esselstyn's book, is really his wife Ann's very original recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense can be a radical, June 28 2009
RDL33 (Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure (Paperback)
T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., author of The China Study introduced, again, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn because they share a common belief regarding plant based nutrition.

This book tackles the Why and the How of proper nutrition and how it improves the well being of people with coronary challenges. The documentation of the experiences with his original group pretty well establishes that if they could follow the Dr. Esselstyn's plan any determined person can do it and if they could be healed, the solution is universal.

Personally, I have found it to be a very effective weight loss program that does not require any calorie counting nor limited quantities of the acceptable foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Feb. 11 2011
After a thorough reading of this book and frequent back checking of specific clinic results cited by the author I give this book top marks. I am elderly and in the process of adopting many of his recommendations in hopes of extending my life another decade. Having successfully had both by-pass surgery and prostate treatment the book opens new doors to healthy eating for me to enter. The recipes are tasty and easy to prepare leaving me feeling noticeably better. What more can I say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease - Esselstyn, Nov. 20 2011
Very reasonable case for omitting meats, fish, dairy and oil from personal menu if you realize you are one of those susceptible to damage to your heart through your lipid system, signalled by a high cholesterol reading, among other things. Have been on the suggested foods for two months, have lost ten pounds of fat, no more leg pain when walking, energy levels still good, digestion highly improved...cholestrol level already down two points....will stay with regime - very thankful for the quick delivery of a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book for wannabe vegans, Oct. 30 2011
Glenn McInnes (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I found this book compelling, if not shocking, and since I do the cooking, my wife and I are now 95% vegan on today's terms and 85% on Esselstyn's terms. While I think it presents very compelling reasons for diet change, I have some reservations:

1. It's anecdotal and based on applied research with his patients and his own dietary experience 20 years ago.
2. The diet may be necessarily restrictive because his patients had severe problems and maybe need an extreme diet. Others might include foods acceptable in other research. i.e. olive oil for cooking, wild fish periodically, nuts, etc.
3. There's a lot of medical research being published currently with quite specific new dietary advice. i.e. "The Globe and Mail Aug. 25, 2011 - Proper diet best defence against bad cholesterol: new Canadian study".

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic cardiology vs common sense, March 24 2008
"I don't understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced vegetarian diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut people open." (Dean Ornish). I have a friend at work who is in his mid-forties, has type-2 diabetes and is a classic case of metabolic syndrome. He thinks he will die if he does not eat enough meat and dairy products to get his protein and that the pills his doctor proscribes will "control" his condition. His doctor told him he should loose weight and he has been trying (cutting back on calories, skipping breakfast and eating soup) for the last year with absolutely no success. He is a stroke or a heart attack waiting to happen. He has a young son that he is raising by himself and I keep thinking about their future. That is why I bought and read this book.

Esselstyn's book is simply written, powerfully persuasive and the recipes are easy and nutritious and exactly what is needed for a pending cardiac emergency. I am hoping that I can persuade my friend to read this book and choose life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn how you can prevent or reverse heat disease without surgery, July 2 2012
PT Cruiser - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent, easy to read book for anyone who has been following the SAD (standard American diet) and has high cholesterol and/or other warning signs of heart disease. Dr. Esselstyn's approach is straight forward and no nonsense. Eating a plant based diet and excluding animal products may seem extreme, but not as extreme as having your ribcage sawed open and spending 6 to 8 hours in surgery to have a bypass operation. To me, THAT is extreme. As I get older, I see more and more of my friends spending a lot of time in their doctor's offices for heart related problems and many of them end up getting stints. Dr. Esselstyne explains in his book why that isn't the best option.

About half of this book is filled with some great recipes that are easy to make and very helpful when you need ideas for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I've only tried a few so far, but I plan to do most of them over the next several months. I like that they aren't complicated and that they don't use strange ingredients, just products that I can find in my grocery store.

I've already sent this book to someone as a gift and will probably send out a few more. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is concerned about getting or staying healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening, July 19 2012
Although vegetarian eating is scary to omnivores, this book is a motivator for anyone who wants to have control over their destiny.
Love the recipes. The book is over half in recipes and is just as important to read for greater clarity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying, Nov. 20 2007
I learned about Dr. Esselstyn's work from another book (China Study). I don't know how truly affective his advice is but it sounds indeed reasonable. I have to just put it in practice and see the results. In any case the recipes are good, the meals tasty, and I find this book worth having, indeed. Another title that I highly recommend is Cure the Incurable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's a Healthy Doctor Healing Us (it's in the Food We Eat); it's in your hands., Sept. 28 2014
In Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" (by Caldwell B. Esseylstyn Jr. M.D.), a healthy Doctor has proven eating healthy prevent and reverse heart disease (as the title states) and many more diseases. Why do we go to an unhealthy doctor and expect him/her to cure all our health problems? To read this book is well worth the quality of the life you choose; it's in your hands.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›