5.0 out of 5 stars Added Value to my career
Thanks Thanks a lot Brad, I am really feel glad that you answered my questions so quickly which I wasn't expecting assuming you would be busy and hard to hold of you but you surprise me by giving me reply so quickly, now I feel comfortable that you are always there for my help in case if I have question in future.

I am working on a project using eRPG on AS400...
Published on Sept. 10 2001 by Syed Fayyaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better
Published on July 7 2000 by Blade329

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Added Value to my career, Sept. 10 2001
This review is from: e-RPG: Building AS/400 Web Applications with RPG (Paperback)

I am working on a project using eRPG on AS400 and I feel proud on myself that I made it happen in AS400 environment with the help of your book.

I also realize that buying that book was my most right decision that I ever made and it was worth more than that I paid for the book.

Thanks once again and wish you have lot of success in your all future time.
I definitely recommend this book to anybody whoever is interested in learning web on AS400 in its native environment with e-RPG, this is the only book available in a market and it is well written and covers every thing which is required to learn some thing new in very easy and user friendly words no hanky panky just precise information so you don't feel wasting time and start learning right away.
Not only teaches you how to write e-RPG, it also teaches how to setup AS400 work as web server which is also most important as writing program in e-RPG so you even learn more than web programming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, July 7 2000
Blade329 (Glendora, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have mixed reviews about this book. I had alot of good information, but still left me with many unanswered questions. The main problem with this book is that he only shows you one way to do things. There's more than one way to display a web page, but he only shows you the dynamic approach. Which is fine, if you have small web pages to load. What if you want to store your pages externally and you want to use Front Page to create your pages. There is no mention or consideration for this. He never mentions the fact that you can redirect the browser to an external page and not have to build it in the RPG pgm. Also he only shows you the Javascript approach for a shopping cart and cookies. Well, what if you want to use RPG for this instead. He doesn't even mention the fact of using the "HTTP_COOKIE" environment variable for cookies. Also, There was not enough elaboration regarding server configuration. It's a good starter book, but you will quickly outgrow it as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Day Older, Another Lesson Learnt, July 5 2000
David George (Staines, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Turn any AS/400 into a Web Server Over the past view months I have been building up a resource of information in attempt to become more conversant with Web technology to prepare myself for the pending Business changes that will mean us having to rethink the way we create applications. With that I refer to e-commerce.
E-commerce. A mystery to me and others of my ilk. A colleague of mine suggested that to sell anything today it need to have a e- at the front, and that we should just get a some sticky labels printed and attach to everyday items and re-sell. We spent an afternoon inventing new and innovative products: e-chair, e-watercooler, e-stapler etc.. Oh, how we laughed......
Imagine my surprise when later that evening I felt compelled to purchase a book with e-RPG as its title! Had the e-business trap caught me?
I saw the author was Bradley, I had visited some of his work with e-RPG examples some months ago and in the AS/400 Cyber Village his name is unavoidable.
Bradley reassures right from page one, that the foundations involved in launching e-commerce from an AS/400 with the toolset we already know - RPG!
Step by step, this book walks you through creating examples of RPG programs used as the foundations for web based applications.
The section on configuring the HTTP Server of the AS/400 showed in simple steps how to do it right, which made the setup a breeze compared with struggling with the basic IBM documentation.
Bradley takes you through the journey to understanding how RPG sits within e-commerce arena. His chapters include:
Introduction to HTML Java Script Common Gateway Interface Programming (very interesting) The AS/400 HTTP Server HTTP API's Your First e-RPG Program Reading Input From a Browser Putting HTML, JavaScript, and RPG Together HTTP Service Programs E-RPG Tips and Techniques (including integrating Dynamic OpnQryf!) CD Accompaniment is included with working examples to help you on your way.
All in all, this book is essential in looking how RPG could reside with newer technologies and is a must for those looking to update their skills set.
Bradley V. Stone demystifies the use of RPG with Web Based Applications.
Dave George Editor

5.0 out of 5 stars e-RPG a Must Have for RPG Programmers, May 3 2001
Kevin Bogue (Tyler, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
Bradley Stone's book, "e-RPG", is a must read for any AS/400 (iSeries) RPG developer wanting to make the leap to web development.
Having a background in RPG III green screen programming, I was able to use this excellent resource to configure my AS/400's HTTP server for CGI programming, gain an understanding of RPG IV ILE concepts, use system APIs in my RPG programs, and begin coding RPG CGI web enabled applications.
Brad provides numerous examples, with source code, of procedures that are needed for web development. Following his examples has led me to a basic understanding of HTML and JavaScript that I've been able to build on considerably.
I was immediately able to code a simple "Hello World" web application with RPG, and 3 weeks later I had a more complex functional application that blew my bosses' socks off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get up and running with eRPG, June 21 2000
Ray Robinson (Black Canyon City, AZ) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this excellent book. Thank goodness for Brad Stone who can transmogrify the arcane into the understandable!
This book covers everything from setting up an AS/400 as an HTTP web server to creating a complete storefront, writing all of the CGI in eRPG. Brad manages to provide a complete education about the web, including HTML and JavaScript examples. Best, of course, is that he shows that all you really need for e-commerce is our favorite HLL--RPG.
If you've been waiting for a good reason to learn ILE concepts, or to learn to utilize built-in APIs, this is really the book for you. Brad will gently lead you into modular program design using ILE. He also provides source for API wrappers, and explanations for their use, which makes it a breeze to get your web site up and running.
Go Brad Go!

5.0 out of 5 stars e-xcited about e-RPG, Feb. 9 2001
Brad has written a great book here and it nails the topics that I think it was intended for. I know enough HTML to be dangerous and love RPGIV and ILE. My recent Java course has pushed me to open up the eRPG book more and more. Now that I'm not intimidated by CGI, I realize how easy this is to learn and produce. If I, a third year programmer, can get this stuff running just from reading this book then anyone can.
In addition to the book though, Brad has been great about answering email questions and I hit two of his AS/400 sites constantly for shareware and open source code.
Thanks Brad. I'm a big hit at the office showing people what I've learned from you and your book. It's a shame we didn't get into this early, we are currently dumping a ton of money (that's 7 figures) into an outsourced Java eCommerce site!

5.0 out of 5 stars eRPG - RPG does the web., April 16 2001
Joel Schibbelhute (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
An excellent book that covers everything you need to start using your AS/400 and RPG to serve content to the web. I especially appreciated the sections on configuring the AS/400 to be a web server and how the HTTP api's work.
Like many RPG programmers I'm faced with having to update my skill set to learn new technologies such as Java, html, etc. This book is helping to make that transition easier by showing me how to use the strong data-handling features of the AS/400 and RPG with the web interface of CGI.
I highly recommend this book to any RPG programmer wanting to become more familiar with web-enabled programming. You not only get a great book and companinon cd with usable examples, but a great web site with an eRPG forum where you can go for help.
Many thanks to Mr. Stone!

5.0 out of 5 stars E-RPG is right on target, March 16 2000
This book is perfect for any AS/400 programmer who would like to extend his knowledge to include writing CGI programs for the world wide web. Bradley starts by explaining what is really happening when you click a URL, and what happens when you answer web page prompts and press submit. Then it goes on to demonstrate how to program these events in RPG using modern techniques, including ILE concepts.
The book includes a perfect amount of instruction, but for those of use who like to get our hands dirty by "trying now and reading later", the examples are excellent. A CD is included with all of the source needed to use the examples.
One of the examples is a complete "Shopping Cart" application!
Thanks for an excellent job, Bradley!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Experience with E-RPG, May 11 2001
Vann Reed (Columbia, SC,,,USA) - See all my reviews
I gave the book five stars for the following reasons:
1. Mr. Stone gave a step by step approach to setting up the as/400 for web-to-400 applications. I knew very little about Http servers and what was involved in the setup.
2. Mr. Stone gave good, working, examples of code. There are so many authors that neglect this. If you are under a deadline as many of us are, we need working examples in new technology to build our apps. on.
3. Even though I am from a technical background, I feel that anyone with the smallest amount of AS/400 and ILE programming can use this book to begin programming for the web.
Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars e-RPG is the King!, March 31 2000
Congrats Mr. Stone! I almost quit eating and sleeping once I got the book! I read it from cover to cover and then started writing up dynamic e-RPG pages for everything that I could think of. Now I can get ANY data securely out to the web to my customers. The company I work for has been searching for the perfect solution to e-commerce and WE HAVE FOUND IT! The best part about my testimonial is that I have only been programming in RPG for about 1 1/2 years. Any body with minor AS400/RPG knowledge can read this book and come out with a full understanding on how to create meaningful web pages via your AS/400 and RPG.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

e-RPG: Building AS/400 Web Applications with RPG
e-RPG: Building AS/400 Web Applications with RPG by Bradley V. Stone (Paperback - Feb. 1 2000)
CDN$ 148.95 CDN$ 105.77