5.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKINGLY HAUNTING
For anyone who has an interest in Antarctica, this is a documentary that you DO NOT want to miss.
It takes you under icebergs, along the shoreline of penquins and seals, and offers you a birds-eye view of the icescape.
The music works well with the master film (especially with the penquin sequence) and the photography is top notch.
One problem :...
Published on Sept. 3 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but Missing Something
The strength of the program is in the underwater shots and the look deep inside the crevice. This is where the program shines and the Imax we all know is evident.
Published on Nov. 6 2003 by Weegee

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but Missing Something, Nov. 6 2003
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
I was a little disappointed in the wild life shots, particularly because a Killer Whale is never shown (I don't think even mentioned) and which is a major component of that ecosystem. The shots of seals and penguins on the surface seemed a little distant and didn't have that usual Imax touch to it.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but there just seems to be something missing. I watched Imax's Everest title back to back with this one. The Everest one is so much tighter. I think because you get a better feel for the people you're watching on screen, whereas with the Antarctica program, there really isn't a tour guide. It's more disjointed and it plays very choppy. When it's good, it's very good, but there's some lapses there in between the underwater scenes where it just looks like they're at the local ski resort. I never felt like I was shown the expanse, danger, history, complete beauty of Antarctica.
It is still a wonderful program, although I think I would have been just as happy renting it. I don't think it will get dozens of plays like the Everest title will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but Missing Something, Nov. 6 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a lot better..., July 7 2000
Eduardo Middleton K. (Santiago, A.M. Chile) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
If Imax is now the best quality available on dvd and Anctartica one of the unexplored wonders of our world, you could expect a visual masterpiece. This isn't. Nevertheless, it's not terrible either. The problem here is the lack of empathy that this documentary brings. Yes, penguins look stunning and glaciers also do the trick, but if you're going to go to a place so hostile, yet so diverse, as Anctartica you should expect more information, more soul put into it and, of course, the magic that other documentaries such as Africa-The Serengeti, Imax-Alaska or The Living Seas display. Buy it only if you want to complete your Imax collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKINGLY HAUNTING, Sept. 3 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
One problem : It's too short (40 min)
Excellent DVD transfer & audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven/Hell On earth, March 17 2000
Dan Vander Haar (Grand Rapids, Mi.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
Antacrtica is one of the most beautiful places in the world where you don't want to go. As this DVD says, temperatures hit a high of 40 below zero, and there are ice caverns large enough to swallow a house. The trouble is, you can't see them until you step into one.
If there is ever beauty in a situation, IMAX will bring it out, and they do a wonderful job. The underwater shots are beautiful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning but poorly directed, March 18 2000
Tom (Foster City, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
The film quality is superb, and IMAX fans will not be disappointed in the cinematography. Overall, however, the film is unfocused and lacks purpose and direction. In addition, the music soundtrack and narration is surprisingly annoying. If you are interested in Antarctica, I recommend this film, but you might want to turn the sound off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great visuals, lacks information content, Nov. 3 1999
Daily mouse user (Boulder, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
The footage looks great on a big screen, but unfortunetly the documentary lacks content. There are long sections where the only audio is sound effects and music. I was expecting something more on par with a National Geographic special where I would learn more about Antarctica, penguins, glaciers, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, June 30 1999
This review is from: Antarctica - DVD (DVD)
This is the IMAX presentation. I hope you have a big screen to view it on. The 5.1 audio is also great and gives the subwoofer a good workout on the opening sceans of the ice breaker. Go for it! I also liked this version by Slingshot Video as the Super Jewel case is also very well packaged.

Antartica - Vhs
Antartica - Vhs by John Weiley (VHS Tape - 2002)
Out of stock