Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 31-40 of 141 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on January 30, 2004
this book may help you out of the creative pits. At least, it did for me. This isn't a book just to read: each week has assigned tasks, and there are daily journaling (Morning Pages) and weekly Artist's Dates. Be prepared to spend a few hours a week just working on the book.
Julia Cameron writes this self help book as a 12 step process, which means she spends a great deal of time focussing on the spiritual aspects of ourselves and our creativity. I was an atheist when I first read the book, so some of this was hard to swallow, but at the same time I was so depressed I went ahead and worked through all her suggestions anyway.
And, I was a changed woman afterwards!
If you are already happily creative but wondering which direction to move into, I suggest her next book, The Vein of Gold, which focusses on niche, rather than the Artist's Way, which focusses on overcoming emotional blocks.
on December 16, 1999
I received this book as a gift and was skeptical but I decided to do the steps with a close friend who lived across the country. Once a week we would call each other to discuss that week's chapter. Doing it with a friend helped to keep me going. I found that it truly awakened the artist inside of me that had laid dorment for years while I miserably trodded through corporate life and denied my creativity. Once I began to explore my creativity I felt much better spirtually, emotionally and physically. I ended up completing a guide book which is now for sale and I completed a novel which is not published yet. Whenever I feel depressed or overwhelmed with my life, I start the morning pages and almost instantly feel more in control. Even if you never thought of yourself as an artist, this book helps with self-exploration that may bring forth parts of you that you never realized where there.
on September 22, 2001
I've finished Cameron's book. This course has helped me above all to focus on my strengths and interests. Although I am not a writer or painter who's blocked, I was able to re-connect with my career interests, dreams, what I'm good at and what I'm not. Through the activities (which are great because seeing your thoughts on paper helps you to really understand what you're thinking and feeling), I was able to re-focus my career goals, get more in touch with the kind of person I am and find ways to let that person emerge. Now I am pursuing the teaching career I once shelved and going back to living my life the way I always wanted but wasn't able to because of roadblocks.
In summary, this book's greatest strength is its applicability to a variety of people in a variety of situations. Those whose lives are in transition, are trying to re-focus and re-connect should try her course.
on May 29, 2001
The Artist's Way was introduced to me by a friend at work and quite honestly I didn't know whether or not I would last the distance. But last I did, and the healing and life-changing that occurred because of this 12-week exercise are now part of my everyday life. No, I don't still write every day, but at least twice a week, and when I'm having difficulty with something at work or at home. Writing is so beneficial, it's a way of discovering your inner creativity and/or exposing it. I would never have believed that I had a creative bone in my body until I read Julia Cameron's book. She is truly a great motivator and writes in a way that is clear and understandable - and believeable! I recommend this project for anyone who has perhaps lost their way, needs to rid themselves of the turmoil within, or just to start to enjoy life to the fullest and find a new you along the way.
on May 17, 1998
Ive read and worked with this book twice now and am half way through Vein of Gold. I have founded an artists circle in my area which in 8 short months has gone from us being relative strangers to a group of intimate friends - we've kept it small - 5 of us for this reason. We have even got to the point of producing a joint portfolio and have synchronously found some one to market us as a group - CINQUE. The ONLY CRITICISM I have of Julias books is that she CHANGED THE COVER - I have her original bright cover with the hand print and I have to say that is what attracted me to the book in the first place and I dont feel the same attraction to the new covers at all - I dont think they reach out to the artist child within as the original one did- and everyone else I know thinks the same thing!!!Apart from that I wish to express a great debt of gratitude to Julia for her work.
on May 22, 2000
I loved reading and working through the exercises in this book. I have found the insights and exercises priceless. I had been suffering from creative blocks, but had no clue that I had them or what they were.
I was given this book by my mother long before I was ready to begin working through my blocks. An act that in hindsight confirms that God was working to help me before I knew I needed help. I picked up the book as a skeptic but was quickly converted by the amazing way that the truth in this book resonated for me. With this book, I was able to explore and knock down my creative blocks. I have recently begun my journey follow my dreams largely due to the self-realization exercises and encouragement in this book. While I will agree with other readers that this book does require a huge time committment, I believe it is time well spent.
on March 18, 2000
I first heard about this book 6 months ago, then again 2 months ago (synchronicity!). Both times I'd gotten to a point in my life where I was asking the question, "There is much more to me than who I am now but WHAT? " This book has quite changed my life. Today I know what my fears/blocks are. Where they stem from. HOW TO WORK WITH THEM and HOW TO FREE MYSELF FROM THEM. Today, I have the freedom to be Anita the person as well as wife,mother, sister and daughter. I found the Morning pages, Artists Dates and Tasks liberating to do. When one week is busier than others, I "extend" my week to complete my Tasks at my own pace. If you're looking for "YOU" then this is the place to start! I hope you have as much fun as I am.... My thanks to Ms. Cameron for having the courage to write this INCREDIBLE book!
on August 6, 1998
Loosely based on a 12-step program, Cameron's 12-week workbook program for unleashing creativity is a dynamic tool for life change, whether the participant-reader is in THE "change of life" or A change of life. Each week's work includes beautifully written, thought-provoking text, as well as a series of exercises to bring home the point of the week's "lesson." Cameron designed the program for blocked artists, but anyone who will take the time to follow her text and work through a sampling of the weekly tasks will benefit, even those who protest they are not "creative." Without writing a poem or painting a canvas--or any of the other activities commonly considered creative--we are nonetheless the creators of our own lives. Anyone determined to avoid change should, at all cost, avoid this book.
on February 6, 1999
It has been several years since I completed The Artist Way. No other book I have ever participated in had such an impact on me. My entire life changed during the course of working with this book. I took much longer than the 12 week program, slowly and carefully unlocking the doors to my most inner self. I am grateful to Julia Cameron for writing this fabulous book, and grateful that I continued with this manuscript, inspite of the incredible, sometimes terrifying changes, that it initiated in my life. Some 5 years later, I still faithfully write my morning pages and no longer cringe when someone introduces me as "an artist". My only dis-satification is that the morning page journal has gone out of print. It was the best journal...easy to write in, lined pages and large format.
on April 2, 2001
So, I wrote a fairly negative review of this book. I have to be honest. I didn't finish it. I had only gone through about half of it at that point. As soon as I picked it up again, it got better. I said that she gives you a destination, but doesn't really guide you along the way. Well, she points out so many of the pitfalls, and so accurately that I'm ashamed I ever said that about her. The chapter on Crazy Makers was just the beginning of a long series of chapters on specific, detailed issues you might face along the way.
I find myself reccomending this book to people all the time now, or quoting specific sections when they tell me about their problems. Hopefully my previous review didn't do too much damage. I sincerely apologize.
again, if you want to talk, e-mail me @