5.0 out of 5 stars great!
I really enjoyed this book, I have it for years, and I keep going back to it. If there is a time when I am too distracted with my life, and I feel that I am no longer in touch with my inner self, I start to read this book again, and do some of the exercises, and it truly helps. I think when one becomes very overloaded with work and family affairs, it is natural that one...
Published on March 4 2006 by Jacqueline Vrolyk

3.0 out of 5 stars I am still "digesting" the book
Although this book very good, it is not one that can be read just once - like a novel. I find that I am going back over what I've read to try and put things in perspective. It is NOT what I would call "easy reading". There's nothing in it, so far, that I haven't heard before; it's just put together from the writer's point of view to enhance her message.
Published 9 months ago by Anne Romain

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, Dec 18 2002
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I bought this book maybe 11 years ago. I'm drawn to books of this nature and I like journaling and introspection. But I don't think I've ever had the results I got from following this program.
In a nutshell, she asks that you write 3 pages longhand every morning, and take yourself out for something special once every week (artist dates). There are also weekly writing exercises and projects to do: "List 5 things you are not allowed to do. Now, do those things on paper: act it out, paint it, collage it, dance it", or, "If you had 5 other lives to lead, what would you do in each of them?", or, "List 5 favorite foods from your childhood. Buy yourself one of them this week".
It's a lot to keep track of, (especially the morning pages when you hate waking up in the mornings). But, it really did something. The combination of all these things made a difference in my life. At the time I did this program, I was completely lost. I had just moved to Bryce Canyon, Utah to get away from everybody I knew and to "find myself" (blech--hate that expression). I was all alone, working in the lodge, hiking, and reading. Then, I started playing piano again, which I hadn't tinkered with in years. There was a rec room in the employee dorms where I practiced. Then, someone heard me and asked if I wanted to play in the dining room, for tips. I did! When I got back to Vegas, I started taking lessons again. Then, I started teaching piano myself. I also began trying out for plays in community theater, something I hadn't done since elementary school. I ended up going back to school and getting a teaching license. I'm now a first grade teacher for the school district, and I love my job. I also perform sketch comedy and improv comedy, and I still play piano.
I can't attest that each and every one of these things is directly due to the Artist's Way program, but being in Utah following those steps sure felt like a turning point for me. I actually wrote Julia Cameron a thank-you letter. Now, there are newsgroups and bulleting boards on the internet where you can do the program with other people and talk to them about your progress. I'm a loner so that approach wouldn't work for me, but I think it's good for certain people.
Anyway, I highly recommend this book, if you think you can make the commitment to follow her suggestions.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my whole life, June 26 2004
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I was an unfulfilled woman before this book. My life had a constant sadness flowing though the everyday. Some one bought me this book as a present and it took me a year till I opened it. I don't mean to be extreme but this was like the Bible to my artistic true self. I have referred to it since over and over and have recommended it to so many people. My favorite quote from the book is "leap and the net will appear". Also, I love the one that talks about the woman who asks how old she will be when she can finally play the piano well and the answer was- "the same age you would be had you not ever learned".
That struck such a chord for me. I was in my late 20's at the time thinking that I had made all my choices all ready, and was stuck with them. As Oprah would say, that was my "Aha" moment.
As a result of the book I changed my group of friends because I realizes they were not there to help push me up and forward.
I bought singing lessons on CD- "Voice Lessons To GO", by Vaccarino (excellent) because I just always have wanted to be able to sing.
I did a Berlitz language course in Italian and spent a summer there after taking an art class.
I found an excellent husband with my newly-empowered self. We even bought "New Sex Now Video" and have explored the gamut- because I am worth it.
And in general, I have happiness now flowing through my days instead of sadness.
Morning pages have brought me clarity.
There is another quote I like from the real bible, "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when?

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as you might think, June 7 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book following the advise on these pages. But as soon as I started reading it, I perceived that it wasn't the thing I thought it would be.
For example, from the first very pages, the author starts dealing with the notion of God. What can an atheist like myself feel with that? Evidently the book has a perspective that I don't share: Why do you have to believe in the existence of "creative forces" in a trascendental way?
It might work for certain people. For others, it may feel like a problem rather than a solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save a Tree: Avoid this Book, April 7 2003
Richard J. Berman "rjberman" (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
This book came highly recommended by an old friend. I still haven't forgiven him.
In brief: The Artist's Way promotes itself as a "spiritual path to higher creativity." The reality is far more mundane, as it mires down in tepid cliches, pointless affirmations and barely relevant inspirational quotes from obscure Asian mystics. The book follows a 12-week program designed to help writers, actors, artists and musicians get past their creative blocks and become productive creators.
Once the cover is opened, however, I found a list of mind-numbing activities such as writing nasty letters to my third-grade art teacher who told me that I wasn't going to be the next Gauguin. And I felt like Richard Nixon when asked to prepare a list of all of the people who had wronged me as a child.
Julia Cemeron believes that by acknowledging and confronting one's "creative enemies" one can become a successful and fulfilled artist, and the dominant theme of her book is spiritual "recovery." But the author is consumed by her own traumas and latent alcoholism, and seems to have written the book as a form of personal therapy. Good for her, but I'm not sure why The Artist's Way has become the EST of the new century.
My suspicion is that it's a lot easier to make excuses than to create good art. Most of us have dozens of reasons why we can't be the next Picasso, Polanski or Pagannini, but in the end it all boils down to talent and hard work. The Artist's Way, although it purports to be a pathway to "recovering your creative self," is little more than a bundle of new-age aphorisms cloaked in the formality of an Alcoholics Anonymous program.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHANGE YOUR OUTLOOK ON LIFE, Sept. 14 2003
Abdul -. Kadir Etuazim (MEXICO, D.F. Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
Believe it or not, there is an artist in every person. Not necessarily to become a best seller or an Oscar winner. To discover the artist embedded in each of us, this book is a more must. I am not paid to write this piece. In this confusing world, there is the need to anchor ourselves to what we really want and need. The book has a way of bringing to the fore issues that we prefer to sweep under the carpet of poltical correctness, thereby enslaving our lives, and releasing us from our self induced incarceration.
It volunteers a holistic approach to charting a new course in life. It is never too late to make amends.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, May 24 2002
sivam (Columbia, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book about 3 years ago. I have read it continously the past 3 years. I have given it as gifts to numerous friends and family. I am not a professional artist by any means...I sell electronic components/widgets. For years I knew I wanted to get in touch with my "creative" side, but couldn't find the how to's or make the "time"..sorry excuses. Well, this book came into my life and I started following Ms. Cameron's exercises...A whole new world opened up for me. I started noticing simple things, like birds! Flowers blooming, sunlight reflecting on the pond down the street from where I live. And I followed her MUST DO instructions of keeping a Morning Journal. One must write LONG HAND 3 pages of stream of consciousness ramblings. You can write anything..it isn't an exercise in creative writing. It is a ritual of clearing your self out so you can allow NEW stuff to enter into your creative soul.
I recommend this book very highly to EVERYONE!
Artist, salesperson, auto mechanic, mother, teenager..everyone can benefit from this easy and enjoyable book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, Sept. 26 2003
Carrie Lear (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
I felt like I hit the jackpot when I found this book. I signed up for a 12-week course based on The Artist's Way, and got a lot more than I'd bargained for. Julia Cameron is a muse for this generation. In this astonishingly honest, insightful book she inspires the reader to step outside one's self-imposed box and literally reach for the stars. This is a life affirming book that generously provides a step-by-step method of "..harnassing universality and making it flow through your eyes." Forget chicken soup, this is creme brulee for the soul.
No matter what your occupation or avocation, you can benefit from The Artist's Way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the artist's way, Aug. 11 2002
"erickareese" (GLENDALE, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Julia Cameron's book was so inspiring and encouraging. This book is for anyone who wants to recover their creativity. I learned that everyone's creative. She changed my beliefs of what's possible for me as an artist. She made a connection between spirituality and creativity which I had never previously considered. She helped to keep me from becoming a bocked writer with her artist's dates and with filling the well. Though it may seem silly the artist date is like a play date for yourself and Julia Cameron explains that as you take images out of your "well" you must keep "filling the well" with new images or the well will dry up. If the well dries up you can become a blocked artist. The artist recovery course is a total of twelve weeks. She shows the reader how to deal with rejection and disappointment. She has a few quotes on the suject such as one quoted by Blake Edwards, "...he concluded that creativity, not time, would best heal his creative wounds." She also offered a great piece of advice. When struck by loss or rejection as an artist instead of saying why me or what's the point, ask "what next?" The rough translation is,and I quote, "Don't let the bastards get you down." One of my favorite things about the book is that throughout the entire book she has inspiring and encouraging quotes on the sidelines of the pages. I loved reading them all. There's too much information to sum up the book up well in a review. You have to read the book, but one of my favorite questions she had was this one:
Question: "Do you know how old I'll be by the time I learn to really play the piano/act/paint/write a decent play?"
Answer: "...the same age you will be if you don't."

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but it is ABRIDGED., April 22 2002
Robert W. "BobTheCopywriter" (Starkville, MS, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artists Way (Audio Cassette)
This is not an unabridged reading of the Artist's Way Book. It is an author read abridgement and Julia Cameron herself opens the audiobook discussing the abridgement process she and her friends went through to boil the book down for this audiobook.
The material covered here is good and insightful, and that's why it still merits three stars. It's worth listening to, but you deserve to know what you're getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changes my whole life, June 26 2004
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
Morning pages have brought me clarity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

The Artist's Way
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (Paperback - March 7 2002)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16