5.0 out of 5 stars great!
I really enjoyed this book, I have it for years, and I keep going back to it. If there is a time when I am too distracted with my life, and I feel that I am no longer in touch with my inner self, I start to read this book again, and do some of the exercises, and it truly helps. I think when one becomes very overloaded with work and family affairs, it is natural that one...
Published on March 4 2006 by Jacqueline Vrolyk

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but it is ABRIDGED.
This is not an unabridged reading of the Artist's Way Book. It is an author read abridgement and Julia Cameron herself opens the audiobook discussing the abridgement process she and her friends went through to boil the book down for this audiobook.
The material covered here is good and insightful, and that's why it still merits three stars. It's worth listening to,...
Published on April 22 2002 by Robert W.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 519 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity, Jan. 8 2000
I heard about this book a few months ago and was very sceptical at first. As more and more people around me started with it, I became curious and bought myself a copy. It was the best decision I have ever made! I am in week eleven and I can safely say that this book has changed my life, completely. It has taken the South African performing arts scene by storm and everyone I know who has read or is busy reading The Artist's Way feels the same way I do! Apart from the fact the the book contains so many truths, what makes this book such a pleasure to read is that it is so well written. If you are in doubt and you need just that little bit of encouragement, if you know deep down inside that there is an artist in you, that feels neglected or that you haven't yet discovered, take the plunge and start a wonderful journey! If you are a lawyer, accountant or a mother taking care of your family at home, don't be discouraged or misled by the book's title, it is for you too!
Thank you Julia Cameron!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Design For Life, Jan. 5 2000
I bought the Artists' Way by Julia Cameron six weeks ago and I won't say it's changed my life - yet, but certainly my attitude towards creativity.
Julia Cameron is an award winning American screenwriter who believes that it is our birthright to be creative, but that our creativity is stymied by limiting beliefs, self sabotage and fear. In a 12 week programme, she guides the reader through re-discovering and excavating their creativity by writing morning pages (writing at least three pages of stream of consciousness first thing in the morning) and artist dates (doing creative, fun things at least once a week). There are other exercises which aim to get to the bottom of self limitation and liberate the artist within.
One of the themes throughout is 'showing up on the page'ie writing the morning pages, regardless of mood, enthusiasm and just doing it. I have found this to be a liberation. Before I wrote when I was in the mood, but now realise that moods are temporary and that writing as much as you can on a consistent basis begins to open up avenues hitherto closed.
Another useful theme is taking small steps - before I had to write the great novel -now I realise that writing a letter to a newspaper for example is a valid way of writing and self - expression. 'The longest journey begins with a single step'is a Chinese saying. Here Julia Cameron shows ways of making those steps. She writes of 'filling the Well'and looking after the Artist in you by giving it treats, taking it out to interesting places and doing new things, seeing things differently, creating visual stimuli which reflects the life you want and stimulating the long dormant Artist to create.
Another key theme is that of Synchronicity. As a wise person stated 'Leap and the net will appear'. Once we start making and opening ourselves up to changes then all sorts of doors open to support us.
If I have one complaint about the book, I guess that it may not be practical enough for some people who want to know not just how to create, but how to market and channel their creativity. The programme makes many references to 'the Great Creator', the 'Universe'and other kinds of spiritual references, which some people may find offputting, although I personally didn't.
In many ways the Artists' Way is limited by being aimed at Artists. In fact it has a much larger relevance to all of us in finding creative ways of living, It is, essentially, a Design for Life, creating and finding ways to enjoy our lives much more fully and realising that being creative isn't something to be denied or suppressed, but celebrated and enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, healing, affirming, authentic, triumphant, July 16 1999
By A Customer
Since when is the last time you were inspired in your life by the REVIEWS of a book? Ha! This book is a treasure that goes deeper and beyond most if not all of the new thinker's books written in the past several years (if not decades) in the areas of spirituality, psychology and creativity. While so many wax poetically (or try to) on the religious and social constructs that have been at the foundation of everyone's life, happiness and problems, Julia Cameron speaks from the point of view of the creative force, beuatiful in its unknowability (it must be embraced and experienced, not known in our intellectual sense)that is at the center of it all- all of our world, all of our art, all of our lives. What this book can do for artists and writers surpasses even that which Nietzsche made possible with his aphorisms in Human, All Too Human on "The Soul of Artists and Writers." To put all the pain of an artist- in fact, of human existence in total really- in terms of being blocked creatively, is in and of itself remarkable, when looked at from the context of the advice given for removing the blocks and being truly creative and alive. As a multi-talented artist, this book, I can tell you, returns the poetry to the Bible, to religion, to honesty and intimacy, to love, and to creativity in general by supplying you with a how-to manual for putting it back into your life. She speaks from the place our ideas of God and Art- and Love- come from, making them all clearly synonymous and embraceable again, on many levels.
As I am primarily a musician, I would like to see more musical examples and metaphors in the book, but even that is an almost childish request in light of what she achieved. The Miles Davis quote is worth the price of the book all by itself: "Do not fear mistakes. There are none."
I would suggest two books as the perfect compliment to this: Marianne Williamson's RETURN TO LOVE, and Irving Stone's biographical novel of Van Gogh, LUST FOR LIFE. These three books- and of course, Corinthians(regardless of your religious inclinations), will have you know the creative spirit- yourself- like never before- and love what you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Changed My Creative Life!!!, April 18 1999
There are not enough words in the English or Spanish language to describe the freedom and happiness I have derived from following this book and the "Vein of Gold". I had stopped singing for about 20 years of my life when I discovered that it was the only thing I needed to be doing...I learned about 10 beautiful love songs the first year while reading the book, then recently performed them perfectly without hesitation! During the second year while working through The "Vein of Gold" I have opened an art school for underprivileged children in Austin, Texas. I have served over 1,000 kids teaching them from the Artist's Way....they love it and you should see what they have done!! It's miracles and love....joy and beauty....You can do anything you dream up, and it soooo much fun!!! I especially enjoy crushing creative monsters....enjoy your path....sincerely, Deedee. You may e-mail me at dmeyer@io.com if you ever are in the Austin area and want to see the kids perform....they are now doing art, music, dance, and drama....and they are great! P.S. I also made a few trips to Taos to see just what inspires Julia. I found the mountains to be just the thing to create bliss...the art comes naturally...

5.0 out of 5 stars Give your life the gift of YOU!!, Sept. 1 1998
By A Customer
At the time of this review I am completing week 8. And I am clearly not the same person I was at week 1! Actually, when I bought the book months ago, I discovered through a process of reading out loud that there is not a page in this book that doesn't push buttons. Yet, without having experieced it physically due to reading aloud, I would not have caught that so early. And that little personal exercise opened doors in my life - I became unstuck immediately! It was a few months later when I joined a friend in doing the program and checking in weekly. My suggestion to anyone considering doing it alone, please find someone like minded to join you - to validate all the myriad of issues, feelings, and false identities you will experience. And know that you will get out of it what you put into it. One could simply read the book and gain from it. One could read the book and do the tasks intellectually, and gain from it. But the one who takes it all in and applies themselves wholly (mind, body and spirit) will forever change themselves, their lives. For me personally, my true self or Divine self has emerged through this process and I am more fully present in the journey of life. For this gift of me, I thank God for working through Julia.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book turned a practical person into a creative one, June 26 1998
This book has completely changed my perspective about my creative ability. At first my practical side felt very silly doing some of the exercises. But after a while a began to realize how much better I felt about myself and my ability to be creative... not do everything by the book. I began oil painting, which I've even entered into contests. I went to Professional Culinary School, in spite of everyone telling me I was crazy. Now those same people are envious of my ability and attitude to discover something that makes me happy and actually pursue it. So many people dream, but never act on those dreams. As practical as I am and probably always will be, thanks to this book, I'm happy that I'm taking these steps toward self fullfillment, and I've established a balance in my life I have never previously experienced. My only criticism is all of the references to God. I'm not athiest, however I feel strongly that the motivation comes from a higher power within yourself and is in your control, and should not be limited to an association with a particular religious figure. Not everyone believes in God, like another individual has written in this review section. I could see how the constant references could turn someone off. But if you look past that element of the book there are some real powerful tools that can help anyone become a more creative individual. The religious connotations are not really necessary. If you can keep that in perspective, then I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Important Book I've Ever Read, July 10 1997
By A Customer
If anything, Cameron's book has allowed me to revise the way I think, to appreciate my own creativity - embrace it, harvest it, learn from what I had previously taken for granted. Through a combination of some genuinely imaginative exercises (reading deprivation, penning a letter from you at 80 to you today, imaginary lives you'd like to lead) and a daily commitment to "venting", The Artist's Way will guide you deep inside yourself and help you chisel away at and unleash a side you may never have seen before. Cameron is firm: she makes pledges about what will happen to you. Despite my reticence and doubt, I saw the delivery of what was promised. It shocked me. At the outset, you may have a great deal of skepticism about the program. There is a good deal of God talk, which personally freaked me out. Big time. But in time you learn to appreciate the spirituality, and the auther herself gives you ways around the religiosity (is that a word?) if you so choose. The best advice I can give is to just splurge on yourself a bit: spend the fifteen bucks and give it a shot. For anyone who is creative or would like to be (which I guess is everyone), this should be required reading. GO FOR IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars gotta do it, May 17 1997
By A Customer
I've been seeing this book on my local bookstore's shelves for years now, and to be honest, have always scoffed at it (and feared it). A few weeks ago I finally allowed myself to buy it without even looking inside.

The reason could be that I've been blocked from painting for at least eight months. It's been killing me. I had thought it was my housemate or my job and then my new lover. Now after reading this book, doing the work, and then going back to study what I've read every day, I realize that it's all entirely in me. (Of course!) I've been made free. Tears are welling up as I write this.
Do buy this book if you are an artist (of any sort, level, degree, composure, whatever). You will need it sometime(s). My lover, a writer, is using it too, with the same reaction and effectiveness.
The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of 10 is because the writing ironically is to me sometimes awkward and actually belies some prejudices. (Oh well, and they're not that bad.)

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Artist's Way" is inspiring and energising., Nov. 1 1996
By A Customer
"The Artist's Way" is a book that will help to free and activate your creative energy. Author Julia
Cameron outlines a twelve-week program to clear away the self defeating "editor" that sits on your
shoulder, whispering in your ear, reinforcing all the doubts and fears that inhibit your creativity. After
reading this book you will feel energised to write, paint, sew, sculpt, dance, sing or to follow
whichever path your creative spirit chooses. This is a very spiritual book in a non denominational
way! I personally like the way the author connects creativity to spirit. I have always believed that
ideas and inspiration and intuition are spirit and that spirit propels us to create. The activities in this
book will free you from the self defeating thoughts that hold back the flow of your creativity. The
rewards are great. The act of creating connects you with your innermost feelings. If this sounds too
"fuzzy-warm" for you, consider that allowing yourself time to be creative is very healthy. It's
probably the best thing you can do for yourself. It will relax you and transcend all stress and worry.
The author has written a valuable book. Consider reading it. It will strengthen and enrich you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why read a book about creating instead of creating?, Oct. 7 2003
By A Customer
I admit, I didn't read the whole thing. I flipped through a few pages and found myself really liking what she had to say...then I stopped myself. I could have wasted tons of time reading her book and doing her exercises, which would have been fun (but so is computer solitaire) or I could have sat down at my desk and written. Even if nothing came out but 20 pages of 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,' I would have been writing instead of reading a book about it. I also found myself not trusting this woman, as she appears to be making her money writing about writing instead of writing fiction. What are her credits? If you want to read a truly nuts and bolts, informative book about writing by someone who's written some stuff you might actually have heard of, check out Stephen King's "On Writing." Part autobiography and part how-to, both how-to write and how-to ignore the people who want to tear down your art, from a man who's actually spent 30 years in the trenches.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 519 | Next ›

The Artist's Way
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (Paperback - March 7 2002)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16