5.0 out of 5 stars great!
I really enjoyed this book, I have it for years, and I keep going back to it. If there is a time when I am too distracted with my life, and I feel that I am no longer in touch with my inner self, I start to read this book again, and do some of the exercises, and it truly helps. I think when one becomes very overloaded with work and family affairs, it is natural that one...
Published on March 4 2006 by Jacqueline Vrolyk

3.0 out of 5 stars I am still "digesting" the book
Although this book very good, it is not one that can be read just once - like a novel. I find that I am going back over what I've read to try and put things in perspective. It is NOT what I would call "easy reading". There's nothing in it, so far, that I haven't heard before; it's just put together from the writer's point of view to enhance her message.
Published 8 months ago by Anne Romain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The path for creative survival into adulthood, Oct. 8 2003
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I liked this book so much I now lead a program at my church with other aspiring and working artist. I never felt blocked (by anything other than time....) but this book has improved my sense of creativity when I never knew it needed tweeking and I have since overcome my time problem. I rate very few books as highly as I rate this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why read a book about creating instead of creating?, Oct. 8 2003
By A Customer
I admit, I didn't read the whole thing. I flipped through a few pages and found myself really liking what she had to say...then I stopped myself. I could have wasted tons of time reading her book and doing her exercises, which would have been fun (but so is computer solitaire) or I could have sat down at my desk and written. Even if nothing came out but 20 pages of 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,' I would have been writing instead of reading a book about it. I also found myself not trusting this woman, as she appears to be making her money writing about writing instead of writing fiction. What are her credits? If you want to read a truly nuts and bolts, informative book about writing by someone who's written some stuff you might actually have heard of, check out Stephen King's "On Writing." Part autobiography and part how-to, both how-to write and how-to ignore the people who want to tear down your art, from a man who's actually spent 30 years in the trenches.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tool to Help You Proceed...If You Want To, Aug. 11 2003
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
This book has and continues to change my life.
Within the pages are timeless tips for the brave of heart- you have to be brave enough to:
-Examine your past including the events and attitudes that created your present perceptions of art, the making of it and how it "fits" in your life.
-Let go of negative beliefs that are unsupportive of your heart and..your art.
-Allow yourself the time to dream, ponder and try fresh ideas, freeing yourself from whether the outcome is "success" or "failure" .
You'll find the truth written about so many of the "myths" of the creative soul. ie. You don't HAVE to be tortured, frustrated etc. to be a truly creative artist. You don't HAVE to be famous to be successful. You don't HAVE to endlessly compare yourself to (fill in the blank).
In short, this book IS a work of art. I remain genuinely grateful to the authors for taking the time to create "The Artist's Way".

4.0 out of 5 stars process vs. product, Aug. 3 2003
Andrew M. Bland "andrew_bland" (Terre Haute, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
Another reviewer has criticized Cameron for suggesting too much "preparation" and not enough "doing" in her abundance of exercises. I would respectfully offer that perhaps this reader has missed a vital point of the book: The Tao (way) of Art *lives* in the process more so than the product.
There is a good deal of difference between creativity and mere talent; Cameron seems to help us work toward the former, the reviewer seems to be confined to the latter. Perhaps one of the most important aspects of creative consciousness is a developed sense of mindful attunement and the ability to stop and smell the roses - something that ceaseless "doing" hinders us from attaining.
I agree that the musician needs practice and a steady supply of "good" music. But, I might add, we must frequently review and update our conceptions of what constitutes "good." Perhaps part of Cameron's mission here is to help us recognize that *everything* has the potential to be prima materia.
That said, the fraction of the spectrum that critics and educators deem as worthy may not necessarily be what we should adhere to as models. Rather, Cameron's goal is to help us recognize that genuine creativity comes from within, not from mere imitation of museum pieces.
I am grateful to Cameron for her suggestions. My only criticisms are her lack of musical examples and exercises, as well as the absence of dream work (a la Pat Allen's *Art is a Way of Knowing*).

2.0 out of 5 stars My perspective on "The Artist's Way", July 18 2003
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
This is purely my personal perspective on this book. What I ultimately found after working exercises, doing morning pages and the artist's dates suggested in the book was that I found myself in a state of preparation to become an artist.
I know how to do that already, that was part of the problem. I found myself getting bogged down creatively, to be honest; doing the exercises, thinking and talking to friends about this wonderful process that was going to change my life radically, rather than spending my time drawing, etc.
What I have come to believe is that art is in the doing, and not in the preparation to do. If I want to be a visual artist, I should draw and study art. If I want to write, I should write a lot and read many books. If I want to be a good musician, I should practice my instrument and listen to good music.
And if I don't want to, then I don't have to either. It just turns out that I am not a happy person if I am not creatively engaged in some pursuit.
And understand that the real reason to do that is for the love of the doing of it. I really don't think I have that many creative enemies that are out to keep me from reaching my true creative potiential. If I did, I feel confident that I could still sneak away from them and do my own creative work on my own time, in spite of them if I want to. This is the gift of having free will.
This all having been said, it this book may still be helpful for some people. I may come back to it someday, and give it another try, but for now I am using that time to play my guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most valuable book I own, June 22 2003
D. Gardner (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
A wonderful book. I am a much happier person since I have been reading this book and going through the process she describes. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to be happier. More than a path to creativity, it is a path to free your spirit, which is really the same thing. I recommend it without any reservations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Art book or psychology book?, June 20 2003
William H. Gearhiser (Boca Raton, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
Sorry, but by the time I got to the part about "crazymakers",
I stopped reading. This book is loaded with pop psychology
and starts with the point of view that the reader is loaded
with psychological baggage that inhibits creativity. If that's
where you are, fine. I was looking for something more along the
lines of "Drawing on the Right Side of Your Brain", I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reviewer below (Berman) is the reason we need this book!, May 24 2003
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
The world is full of people who try their damndest to berate amateur creative people. Read the review by Richard J. Berman if you need to know what their voices sound like. The Artist's Way is full of blessings and encouragement, and it is an intimate portrait of one woman's journey toward some semblance of freedom. If you do the work, the blessings will come.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intensive self-examination course, May 19 2003
Nosferatu (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
This 229-page book is actually a course to free your creativity. The entire course is based upon the principle that the artist must have faith to be creative. It is the author's conviction that the Creator encourages creativity in all people.
The book is broken down into twelve weekly lessons. There are several miscellaneous sections. Each weekly lesson has tasks and exercises to be completed. Sidebars provide quotes and tidbits of information to uplift the soul. The divisions of the manual are as follow:
In the introduction, the author explains how she began teaching and eventually developed her seminars and lectures into a book.
Spiritual Electricity: The Basic Principles defines the ten spiritual principles, gives directions for using this course, and tells the reader what to expect from the course.
The Basic Tools introduces the two primary tools of the course: the morning pages and the artist date. The morning pages are three handwritten pages, penned in stream-of-consciousness, without looking back at the previous pages. The artist date is time set aside to be spent with your inner artist. There is even a creativity contract.
Week 1: Recovering a Sense of Safety deals with realizing what negative beliefs and hurts from the past are blocking or restricting your creativity and replacing them with positive affirmations.
Week 2: Recovering a Sense of Identity begins with a section called "Going Sane." It deals with the people you surround yourself with in life and how they exert negative influence over your creativity.
Week 3: Recovering a Sense of Power leaps right into anger management, shame, and dealing with criticism. It examines how most people are afraid that there is a God watching everything we do.
Week 4: Recovering a Sense of Integrity is about learning to distinguish between the mask you wear for the public and your real inner feelings. There are exercises in learning what you really want from life and in sensory deprivation.
Week 5: Recovering a Sense of Possibility begins with the following sentence: "One of the chief barriers to accepting God's generosity is our limited notion of what we are in fact able to accomplish." This lesson teaches us to break through those barriers.
Week 6: Recovering a Sense of Abundance will have you tossing out clothing and gathering rocks. It teaches us that there is abundance in our lives and that our creativity requires its own portion of luxury.
Week 7: Recovering a Sense of Connection covers jealousy, perfectionism, risk, and learning to listen to our inner artist.
Week 8: Recovering a Sense of Strength teaches us to turn loss into gain by metabolizing the pain into energy. There is an exercise to help the artist break out of the early patterning; to overcome the negativity of childhood.
Week 9: Recovering a Sense of Compassion deals with avoiding self-defeat and learning to logically deal with fears.
Week 10: Recovering a Sense of Self-Protection enlightens us about the spiritual demons we create to battle our creativity: workaholism, fame, competition, and drought.
Week 11: Recovering a Sense of Autonomy focuses on how to handle success, how to nurture the inner artist, and the connection between nurturing the inner artist and self-respect.
Week 12: Recovering a Sense of Faith reminds us of the pitfalls to our creativity and helps us learn to have faith.
The book ends with sections on questions and answers, creativity clusters, and forming a sacred circle.
Every artist should own a copy of this book and utilize it religiously! It is the kind of manual that can be used over and over again for continual growth. I highly recommend it and feel it is a vital tool for personal creative expansion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good start on the path to creativity..., April 14 2003
J. B Forgione (DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
When I read this book I felt I had creative potential but my confidence in my creative ability was low. This book will not make you an 'artist.' However, this book may aid you in recognizing the points along the way that may have made something like being an artist, musician, writer, etc. unaccessible. The main thing to gain from this book is that it's all in your head, so unravel your bad experiences and get creating!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

The Artist's Way
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (Paperback - March 7 2002)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16