5.0 out of 5 stars great!
Published on March 4 2006 by Jacqueline Vrolyk

3.0 out of 5 stars I am still "digesting" the book
Although this book very good, it is not one that can be read just once - like a novel. I find that I am going back over what I've read to try and put things in perspective. It is NOT what I would call "easy reading". There's nothing in it, so far, that I haven't heard before; it's just put together from the writer's point of view to enhance her message.
Published 8 months ago by Anne Romain

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, March 4 2006
Jacqueline Vrolyk (Milano, MI Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, I have it for years, and I keep going back to it. If there is a time when I am too distracted with my life, and I feel that I am no longer in touch with my inner self, I start to read this book again, and do some of the exercises, and it truly helps. I think when one becomes very overloaded with work and family affairs, it is natural that one can become less creative. Reading this book and doing the exercises recommended, I found that I felt more concentrated in my work, and better all round. It is definatly a book that I recommend to anyone that could use some help in living for themselves as well as for everyone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars A reflection of self, Nov. 2 2006
Chris (Lasalle, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I read and began working my way through this book a few years ago. Before I go on, let me first say I am somewhat of a skeptic. I think we all are to some degree though or we wouldn't need things like brand names to reassure us in our everyday lives.

It was no coincidence that my creativity began to transform like a tidal wave at the time I was working through this book. In fact, I had been supressing it so much through daily distractions that it was too much for me to handle at the time. My creativity has since reached a nice medium and I finally feel ready to bring this book back into the process.

I decided to read the other reviews for fun. I am not at all suprised that their is a lot of cynicism. Everything has an equal opposite, that is a fundamental law of nature. People are entitled to their opinions and there is no specific thing in this world that appeals to everyone.

I just find it ironic that one of the biggest stabs at this book is "well I shouldn't have to do exercises to be creative, I should be spending my time being creative instead." That point has some validity to it, but if that was the case than why did they turn to a book about creativity in the first place. Even the greatest artists cannot be inspired all the time and lose their path through life from time to time. On top of that, if you compare the art and architecture of the Roman times and music of the past to today, you can see a pattern of things becoming more and more formulated. We need inspiration at this point in evolution.

The other thing is people say 'where are the authors creditials? What else has she done?' If you took piano lessons from a recommended teacher, would you base their teaching skills on whether they have taught anyone famous before? That is why we have teachers.

It all comes down to one thing. This book will bring out your inner self if used properly and if you are cynical and negative, you will probably return here to make a point of it. If you are open and creative you may very well begin to channel that energy the way you need to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hokey -- but it works!, Nov. 4 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
Every time I pick up this book, I'm put off by the author's style -- it's so full of cutesy affectations, dumb little puns, and hokey metaphors repeated too many times -- the bad habits that good writing teachers steer their students away from. So it's hard for me to trust this person as a teacher of art-making, if writing is supposed to be her own art form and she does it so sloppily. Nevertheless, her course WORKS! Her style may rub you the wrong way, but the content is very effective. In the three years since I first read it and started doing the exercises, it's turned my creative life around, with astonishing results. So thank you, Julia Cameron, cutesy-wootsey prose and all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Do-it-Yourself Workshop, April 18 2014
L. Brubacher (Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I loved doing this workshop because I could do it in the privacy of my own home, and when it suited my schedule. Julia Cameron raises some very provocative questions and gives excellent guidance on how to become unblocked. Even though I was doing the work for reasons other than becoming creatively unblocked, I found it extremely helpful in getting me to look at things I may otherwise not have encountered.
The only issue I have with her book is her constant reference to the word "God". There has to be a better way to address that when writing to an audience that embraces everyone, not just believers in God.
I nonetheless found it a very helpful tool in getting to take a more introspective look at myself. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
such a great book. If you are wanting to make a transition to being an artist, have a hard time calling yourself an artist or blocked as an artist, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Required to go with thE book, Dec 15 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Hardcover)
It takes effort but using the workbook with the book takes you on a liberating self discovery to the positive creative energy within all of us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opinion of the book Artist's way, Oct. 30 2013
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
I was very pleased with the delivery of this book. Much quicker than expected and a brand new book well produced. It requires a fair degree of effort to follow the program but I am in my fourth week and believe it is having a positive impact on my attitude. I would not recommend it to someone who is seeking a quick fix to their problems. This is for the thinking person who is prepared to take the time for longterm self-betterment.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am still "digesting" the book, Oct. 28 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Unleash your creativity, April 10 2013
Whether wanting to start writing a blog, getting back to your painting projects or needing a fresh perspective, the tips offered in this book help one to let go of old inhibiting belief systems and mental blocks to unravel the innate creative energies within.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Dec 10 2012
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Audio CD)
Love Julia Cameron. I practice alot of the things she writes about in her book. I love everything about it. Thanks!:)

The Artist's Way
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (Hardcover - April 4 2002)
CDN$ 58.00 CDN$ 36.37