5.0 out of 5 stars Mad and wonderfull times - now gone
I found the book both highly entertaining and a bit unsettling. Was the Internet culture really like that way back in 1999? Whoa, yes it was!
The book covers the dot.bomb territory well, especially the smooth talkers and marketing types. I did miss more references to the techies and the excitement on the workers' floor in this time frame.
Little mention is made...
Published on Sept. 16 2003 by wildsouth

3.0 out of 5 stars Disingenuous
I'll admit -- I finished this book relatively quickly. It's a quasi-page turner; that's why I gave it three stars instead of one.
Published on March 20 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Disingenuous, March 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Dot.Bomb (Paperback)
But all along, as Kuo recounts his story of working for a seemingly mentally unstable CEO, he seems to feign naivete. "I saw Craig Winn as a visionary." But in the next paragraph, Kuo is pointing out how Winn was lying to the press and financial analysts. So Kuo really undercuts his own credibility by trying to play both sides here.
Here's my theory: He needed to suck up to Winn to get access in order to write this book. So even though he points out Winn's erratic moments and his outright lying, he thanks Winn at the end, and praises him. Ah, the price of media access!
Also, I think Kuo is embarassed, as he should be. He bought the dot-com story hook, line and sinker. He thought he'd be a millionaire, so he desperately wanted to believe Craig Winn's blather. On top of that, Kuo recruited his own wife and in-laws to work at Value America, so he's got a lot to be embarassed about!
Ultimately, Kuo's own equivocation prevents this story from being genuinely compelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars da bomb, Jan. 29 2004
Romin Cyrus Irani (Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
Its a really good story about the rollercoaster ride he went through and fortunately it ended.A very interesting tale of an online company marketing its products in a very traditional way.
I think after reading this i have to re-read the amazon.com story to recollect their pitfalls and successes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad and wonderfull times - now gone, Sept. 16 2003
wildsouth (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
Little mention is made of the success stories that happen alongside the dot.bomb's. and how common sense and a off-key vision could have kept one out of danger of the dot.domb euphoria.
A fascinating and fun read. An excellent record of the times! Missing in the book is more reference to the legacy media and old school business's envy towards the new economy, which assisted in the downfall of these young entrepreneurs. The book confirms that it was wild, it was fun and we'll miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a time it was!, July 15 2003
Rebecca Brown "rebeccasreads" (Clallam Bay, WA United States) - See all my reviews
If you want to know what happened during the dot.com gold rush, DOT.BOMB is a very good place to start. It is engrossing, well-written & as funny as a fit of giggles at a wake!
What a ride! J. David Kuo had me squirming with tension, panting with the pressure, dreading yet eager to learn what was going to happen next. An accessible adventure about one innocent investor enticed into high flying finance & all its attending drama.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but drags on, April 2 2003
John D Early (Blacksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dot.Bomb: My Days Snd Nights At An Internet Goliath Optimism (Audio Cassette)
This is a humorous read. It is enjoyable, but drags on, without really exploring the details of the final downfall of VA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Interesting, March 31 2003
Ran Walker (Hampton Roads, VA) - See all my reviews
I had never heard of Value America prior to reading this book--which I know would have driven Craig Winn mad. The company never made it onto my Internet radar and didn't last long enough to change that. But what David Kuo leaves us with is a tale of one start-up which is highly indicative of what happened to other dot com companies during the same period, and that tale is quite an amusing one.
When I first saw the paperback edition of this book in the bookstore, I couldn't believe there was yet another dot com book on the shelves chronicling the death of a start-up, but when I picked it up, I got hooked quickly. In Kuo's introduction, he alludes to a pre-existing fascination with Value America prior to ever having been employed there. I can remember questioning whether or not I should have bought a share of some dot com company back then, much like Kuo, so his experiences mixed with the history of Value America make Kuo the ideal person to narrate the story.
After having finished the book, I couldn't believe that the characters were real people. There was just so much of many of the key players' personalities mixed into the story that it seemed almost like a novel.
If you're a person who enjoys reading about start-up companies, whether or not they are dot com, you will love this book. It really puts the notion of common sense in business back in perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Craig Winn story is familiar, March 30 2003
By A Customer
I guess one reason I really liked this book is that my dot.com's CEO was almost the same person as Craig Winn. This manac personality time obviously did very well during the bubble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Realistic Tale, March 25 2003
A. Valentine (Ardmore, PA) - See all my reviews
As someone who worked for a smaller .com that also died a quick death, I can attest to how realistically Kuo captures the essence of the .com era. This book is about as realistic as it gets, the analysis of the internal and political problems start-up companies face is dead on. Steve Winn is a classic example of the salesman CEO, one who will say anything to close a sale. This book is a fantastic case study for anyone interested in understand the excesses of the .com era. The excessive spending, the focus of revenue, and the approval of garbage business plans. This book is also a testament to how far one can get with A+ salesmanship.
After reading this book, I decided to look up Steve Winn and see what he is up to these days. The book mentions the fact that Winn seemed to find religion shortly before he was ousted, now he is pushing books on terrorism denouncing Islam trying to cash in on 9-11. If you read this book, do an Amazon and Google search on Steve Winn, hilarity will ensue. Even his bio on the 700 club page has the typical Winn exaggerations. For more laughs, be sure to check out Winn's book about how his company was ruined by everyone else but him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dot.bomb, Jan. 27 2003
By A Customer
Dob.bomb is an absolutely fascinating look behind the scenes of an internet bust. With incredible humor, author David Kuo tells a tale of how an egomaniacal founder, with a penchant for ultimate control, can kill even the best venture. I, too, worked for a "dot.com" company, and for an entrepreneur with qualities very similar to Mr. Winn's (do they just clone these guys??) As I read the book, I just replaced Mr. Winn's name with our CEO's and it told basically the same story. The parallels were incredible. They can't relinquish control because no one understands their baby like they do. They refuse to accept the advice of the very people they hire to take the company to the next level. And in the end, the most amazing thing is the disconnect that these ego driven visionaries have -- they absolutely cannot see how their actions had any effect on the company's failure. As the cops say, "yeah, I know, the other dude did it".
This book was such a fun read that I'm now reading it for a second time and recommending it to all my friends who work in hi tech environments. It is a funny but cautionary tale of what NOT to do. I lived through the same kind of nightmare of optimism-lunacy-panic-chaos-crash that David Kuo describes and he tells it like it is. The book is an absolute hoot, to boot. Buy it. Enjoy it. Learn from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if only 50% true, it's worth the money., Jan. 3 2003
Dr. David Arelette (Yarrambat, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
Even if some of the people and events are not 100% accurate (and how can they ever be with personal perception), this is a great read and a lesson that every business builder needs to read and re-read along their own delevlopment pathway.
There should be more of these books that tell about the day to day stupidity that all too often is sold as high value structured thinking. For a start, read this one.

ARRAY(0xabbefa8c)

Dot.Bomb: My Days Snd Nights At An Internet Goliath Optimism
Dot.Bomb: My Days Snd Nights At An Internet Goliath Optimism by J.david Kuo (Audio Cassette - Oct. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 21.44