5.0 out of 5 stars If you're only going to buy one pregnancy book, buy this one
Published on Oct. 17 2000 by Laura B

3.0 out of 5 stars Late
I'm not sure if the item was lost in the mail, but it arrived about three weeks later then what it was supposed to.
Published on March 2 2012 by Souell01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're only going to buy one pregnancy book, buy this one, Oct. 17 2000
This book is *much* more helpful than many others on the market, in my not always so humble opinion. Very sound advice, suggestions, great tone/approach overall. Because when it comes right down to it, nutrition is THE biggest thing we have control of, while pregnant. Even if one does not want to invest in or "do" all the herbs she suggests throughout the text, the basic pregnancy and nutritional advice is very sound, and ultimately, helpful throughout a woman's life. Funny... another reviewer mentioned pagan content. I've owned, referred to and personally used this book for two years, and have never noticed anything "pagan" about it. Does merely recognizing the spiritual aspects of birth count as pagan? If so, I guess I must be a pagan, too. Modern obstetrics would have us ignore the spiritual/emotional aspects of birth, seemingly entirely, but... the food we eat nourishes not only our unborn children, but our own souls, as well. Check out this wonderful book/approach to pregnancy, birth and life.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference, April 16 2014
This review is from: The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices (Paperback)
we are just starting to plan for our first pregnancy and so far this has been a great reference on our path.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book, Feb. 23 2014
This book is a wealth of knowledge if you are looking for a natural pregnancy. This book, along with her other book - Natural Health after Birth - are my favourite pregnancy books (and I have a lot). She is such a wonderful writer - you feel like she is sitting in the room with you. You will feel empowered after reading this book - and will refer to it over and over again. It recently came in very handy when a good friend had a miscarriage. She has an extensive chapter on this, including what herbs to help stop a threatened miscarriage as well as those to help the miscarriage complete naturally (when you cannot stop it). It then also talks about what herbs you can take when you are trying again to help prevent additional miscarriages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!, Dec 5 2013
Love this book! As a holistic mama-to-be, I have enjoyed reading this book even prior to being pregnant I found it so interesting! I love Aviva Romm!

5.0 out of 5 stars I will now give this book to pregnant women as a gift, Aug. 2 2013
I found it comprehensive and written in plain language. Lots of things to try for the 'usual' pregnancy 'complaints'. Very reassuring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the "Expecting" book, April 4 2001
"tlroot" (Drake, CO USA) - See all my reviews
After having read the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book, and hating it, a friend gave this book to me during my fourth month of pregnancy (with my first baby). I really like this book, even though Ms. Romm is kind of corny and extreme in some of her ideas. (What if I don't want to "wear my stretch marks like silver jewelry"?)
The book has great suggestions for alternative ways to deal with the discomforts of pregnancy. It also teaches you to love yourself, and to value yourself for what your body is able to do.
It doesn't have a detailed month-by-month account of what to expect. Rather, it lets you say what you're experiencing now, rather than on someone else's timeline, and gives you suggestions for dealing with it positively. I credit this book with helping me to find non-medication ways of dealing with depression, so I can actually enjoy being pregnant during my last trimester.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing natural approach to pregnancy, July 31 2000
Romm's book is refreshing and helpful for women seeking a more natural approach to the joys and discomforts of pregnancy. As a midwife, herbalist, and mother, the author offers wise and inspirational knowledge that she has culled over the years.
The book is divided into chapters and sections dealing with many aspects of pregnancy, including physical and emotional changes, nutrition, exercise, safe herbal remedies for common discomforts, and even a chapter written by her husband directed toward pregnancy partners. Though it may not have all the specific details of what is happening developmentally each and every week, as some books do, it does offer overall treatment of many common pregnancy topics and questions.
Romm believes that pregnancy and birth are natural parts of life, not illnesses to be dealt with medically. When common concerns do arise, she offers suggestions for dealing with the emotional and physical aspects of the concerns, through healthy thinking, healthy eating, and herbal remedies that are safe for pregnancy. She encourages a proactive approach toward excellent living, rather than a pill or shot that will temporarily relieve symptoms.
I enjoyed the positive, nurturing tone of the book, as the author's obvious love of pregnancy as a time of wonderful change is communicated in many ways. The book is nourishing, and encourages the reader to enjoy the splendors of pregnancy by communicating with the baby, finding creative outlets for the mother-to-be's questions and energy, and so on. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to be more involved with the natural and emotional aspects of pregnancy, rather than just knowing what week the baby grew fingernails and how much weight guidelines say you should gain per week, on which many pregnancy guides tend to focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holistic Pregnancy Resource, April 3 2009
Katolen Yardley (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
As a practicing medical herbalist, I recommend this book to all my expecting mother clients. This is a useful guide for any woman desiring a natural pregnancy (with minimal /to no use of pharmaceuticals); offering support through the use of plant medicine, and optimal nutrition. The book provides an expecting mother with the needed confidence to use plant medicine safely and effectively for all common health ailments experienced during pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Nov. 23 2011
Took a little longer than expected but showed up in reasonable time, looks great and good condition. Would definitely use seller again!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for Herbs!, May 9 2002
"biddlecome" (Astoria, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book and it was a great help. From wondering what was going on, if it was normal to how to treat constipation and other pregnancy ills naturally. Also very informative to know which herbs are helpful and which to avoid.

The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices