5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Great book. Lots of information that makes sense but you don't usually hear or read about elsewhere.
Published 25 days ago by Kelly Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little preachy
Our lactation consultant recommended this book to us.
Published on March 1 2002 by S. Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good breastfeeding book, April 3 2013
This review is from: Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby (Paperback)
This is a good resource for those wanting more information on breastfeeding. I found the information very helpful and up to date. It was one of a few books that I read on the topic and it was a good one. The style is easy to read, and there are headings so you can skip to the topic you are interested in. There are a lot of good pictures inside to help explain what they are talking about, which is the main reason I bought this book and one of the best things about it. The diagrams sets this book apart from the others. I would recommend this book to women expecting a baby or who have a newborn and want more information about breastfeeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Jan. 13 2007
A reader (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby (Paperback)
I read this book prior to having my baby and found it to be very informative. Lots of pictures and illustrations to help you learn the proper technique. I still required the help of a lacation consultant but was assured that I had the technique and postioning correct. Some babies just take longer to learn than others. I found the book a good reference for the many questions I had (and still have) about breastfeeding. I have recommended it to friends and family!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for breastfeeders!, Nov. 18 2003
By A Customer
This book helped so immensely! I only wish someone would have shown it to me when I struggled to nurse my first children!
I highly recommend this book for everyone planning to breastfeed. It headed off all kinds of problems and pitfalls!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless advice -- go see a laction consultant!, Oct. 22 2003
By A Customer
My wife and I struggled for six weeks with breastfeeding for our first child. We had lots of trouble with the baby latching on. We bought this book and another one and completely absorbed it and followed all their advice and it was of no help at all. In fact, it made it worse because it only enhanced our feeling of hopelessness. Most women would've given up but my wife persevered. In my opinion, the only way to solve your breastfeeding problems is to go see a professional. They don't charge much and you get a 100% customized plan for your personal set of problems. Every woman's body is different, every baby is different and every breastfeeding situation is different. In my opinion, no book with a generic, one-size- fits-all approach is going to work for everybody.
However, beware that not all lactation consultants are the same. If you happen to live in the Washington DC area, one of the very best in this field is Josie at the Northern Virginia Lactation Consultants in Fairfax, VA. After struggling for six weeks with various books and consultants, we finally saw Josie and within two days all our problems were solved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!, March 14 2003
I got this book because of the problems (lack of educated help) I encountered trying to breastfeed my daughter. I ended up formula feeding her before I left the hospital, feeling totally depressed and feeling like I really missed out on something special. When I found out I was pregnant again, I decided that I WILL breastfeed this baby (due in September). But, I also knew that I was going to need more help than I got the first time around to make this successful.
After reading about the first 10 pages or so of this book, I was able to identify why I was having such difficulty nursing my daughter. (Which made me mad all over again about the whole experience. If I had had a person that could have truly observed me and my daughter, they would have been able to show me exactly what I was doing wrong.) If I had had this book the first time around, I feel I would have continued to nurse my daughter successfully for many months to come. This next nursing experience, I believe, will be totally different and I'm looking forward to it!
The text and tons of actual photos in the book are a little "old," I think. But if you think about it, what has changed in breastfeeding in thousands of years, right? Everything you need to know about getting yours and your baby's position right for the perfect latch is in this book! I couldn't ask for a better book to teach someone the basics of nursing. It certainly has taught me a ton and I truely thought I was well prepared the first time.
The only thing this book doesn't really cover much is the problems that can arise while nursing. But I got "The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver" by Claire Martin to cover that!
I will recommend this book to every mother wanting to have a great breastfeeding experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite breastfeeding book! (and I have lots), Dec 5 2002
Breastfeeding is a learned skill. I think reading this book while still pregnant is one of the best things a mom can do to have a good breastfeeding experience. It doesn't always come naturally, and it's not always easy right away, and this book is the best source of problem-solving information and advice that I have seen. It is very practical, and does the best job of showing how Not to do it to help us figure out how To do it. I think that's the key- helping moms get through any problems that come up, because it's so worth it! I'm so glad I had this book (along with great family support), and I'm so glad I nursed my daughter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid Information Source, March 15 2002
By A Customer
This was a pretty good book. I found lots of support here for the little problems that crop up. It details well some of the emotional ups and downs that go along with breastfeeding your baby. I felt comforted often by reading about exactly what I was feeling at some of the stages described.
The other good thing is that the book carries you through months and months of growth and change. I still keep this one close to me as a reference I check often.
The one bad thing is that the section on breast pumps is a bit anemic. And it didn't relate much to my personal experience. You might want to try a book or two specifically for working mothers who breastfeed for better information about pumps and pumping.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for the 1st time mom, March 8 2002
Renee Hallman (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I knew that I was going to breastfeed my 1st baby, no matter what anyone told me, and my midwife recommended this book to me. I think I read it 3 times in total. it is absolutely excellent, the author reviews key points throughout, so when you are done, you have a very firm grasp on how to be successful at breastfeeding, as well as giving lots of troubleshooting ideas. The pictures are excellent. Overall an A+ !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little preachy, March 1 2002
S. Hughes "s_hughes" (United States) - See all my reviews
Our lactation consultant recommended this book to us.
There has never been a doubt in my mind that I wanted to breastfeed my children. Still, I thought this book could have been improved by being less preachy. I was irritated that I had to dig through the author's opinions on why every woman should breastfeed to get to the facts on how to breastfeed. However, when I got past the opinion and found the facts, they were well-presented with enough detail and even with pictures to be very useful.
Your satisfaction with this book will likely depend upon your style and what you're looking for. If you don't mind opinions, you will likely love this book. If you're a "just the facts, mam"-type, you may want to look elsewhere.

Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby
Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby by Mary Renfrew (Paperback - June 30 2004)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 16.60