5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best
Published on July 18 2008 by Elle

2.0 out of 5 stars Reads like a 16 year olds blog
With such great reviews I figured this would be the book for me. I was so wrong. I am not a literary snob but this books writing style is terrible.
Published on Jan. 22 2010 by Zeezaxa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best, July 18 2008
I've read the five most popular books on the topic of raising boys recently and this one is the best by far. It has all the information of the other books with none of the filler. It also has what the other books don't have: proactive advice and suggestions that really make sense and really make a difference. The writing style is light and fun and straight to the point. Very easy to get through and re-read as needed as your boys get older. Great information for being apart of the lives of boys aged birth to men, and helping them get from point A. to B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me feel confident about single parenting a boy., Jan. 4 2002
By A Customer
As a first time expecting parent of a boy I have many concerns. My biggest one being that I am single and will be raisig my new son without a father. This book stresses the importance of male role models but also helped give me many alternatives to a father. Now I feel better knowing ways I can do things to help make up for him not having a father and that things can work out just as well. Plus the book also covers areas such as gender differences, sexuality, and how to help him in everyday life and what he needs in a parent(s)as well as from other people in his life. This book has given me confidence that I can raise him well. I recommend this book highly to single mothers who are concerned about male role models for their son and also to first time parents of boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moms and Dads Must Read, March 15 2003
By A Customer
Even if you are a man, this book is a MUST read for anyone who has a boy or works with boys (teachers, coaches, etc). My husband and I read this in anticipation of the birth of our boy (I am 6 months pregnant) and we can't stop discussing what we've learned!
Biddulph takes you through the key stages in a boy's development, explaining in an easy to read format what can be done to assist boys in learning and developing into healthy, happy people. He explains the difference between what girls need and what boys need and how to help boys reach their potential.
After you read this, you will be like us - you will be buying this for everyone you know who is around boys! The best I've read on the subject. Can't wait to read his other books...

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good review of boyhood..., Aug. 26 2002
Stephen Armstrong (Hadley, Ma USA) - See all my reviews
The stories are enchanting, and the information interesting. This is not a "how to" book, however. Instead, it is a general overview with many particular examples and explanations. The author's recommendations are straightforward and affirming, to fathers, mothers, and sons. He cares for and accepts the foibles and modes of boyhood. Biddulph has a whole chapter on the effects of testosterone, and I thought that was a little overdone, since our humaneness, as he notes many times later in the book, is not biologically determined.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Informative and Easy Read, May 30 2002
Millicent J. Kelly "M. Kelly" (Jupiter, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I found this book very helpful in understanding the developmental needs of boys as they mature through the three different stages the author describes. In addition, it addressed issues specific to the single mother which is an enlightening trend. A nice aid in guiding positive development, especially for Moms!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, Aug. 21 2000
Albert G. Lotito (Tobyhanna, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I very much enjoyed the book. clearly written, easy to read. Good insights and suggestions. I do question though some of the statments in the book. for example it is stated at one point that boys get periods of deafness due to growth spruts... I have found no support for that although I know many teenage boys who appear to be deaf at times. Overall good book worth reading...

5.0 out of 5 stars straightforward matter of fact look at boys and their needs., June 11 1998
diamond@newman.wa.edu.au (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
Steve Biddulf has written a number a books in the Australian/New Zealand context on Parenting. His words about Boys are simple and matter of fact. Boys will not grow up to be sound men without help. This help can only come from the input of sound Men [preferably dad]at critical times in a boys maturation. Mom's are very important but they can't teach a boy how to be a man, for that the boys need a safe, strong male to model. Steve Biddulf sets out to help Dad's and Mum's sort out, First - what does it really mean when we say 'boys will be boys'? Second - How can I assist, as a parent, in helping my son to become aware of his 'maleness' and then assisting him to become a sound, loving but not wimpy man. Third - he tackles the thorny issue of single mums raising a son, how does mum, who can't be a man, raise her son? First recognising she needs help, then sorting out what to do about it. His style is simple, funny and never patronising. He is pointing out a real problem and proposing from a wealth of clinical and parenting experience his matter of fact pathway through the minefield. I loved the book, though I didn't agree with everything init, it has helped me focus on how to plan my relationship with my son. If you get the chance to listen to him in the flesh take it he is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone Who Knows a Boy Should Read this Book, Jan. 23 2001
Mary (Highland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I LOVED this book so much that I found myself quoting from it to my friends and family. Raising Boys is packed with information that is easy and fun to read. Through the entire book, I could identify traits that not only opened my eyes to behavior from my own two sons and other males in my life (their friends, my brothers, etc.), but has shown me ways to handle or respond to both their positive and negative behavior! Steven Biddulph also explains the biological differences between boys and girls without being sexist!
I recommend this information packed and yet humorous book to anyone who has a boy or knows a boy of any age. This should be required reading for all teachers!
This is a book that I find myself picking up over and over again to reinforce the information I have learned. It's really made a difference in my understanding of the male species, and how I interact with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a Companion to "Manhood", June 26 2003
By A Customer
This book was written after Steve Biddulph's first book "Manhood" which was truly groundbreaking. If one grows up in the masculine societies of Australia, US, Britian, Scandinavia etc then these books are invaluable. Problem of course being that it's hard sometimes to get these masculine men to read books like "Manhood" as they are very confronting and avoiding emotions is what macho societies are all about! This book is great as it's aimed at parents and others raising boys and the differences between little girls and little boys. Definately a book that if bought and followed by parents would be amazing for future generations. It hasn't got the detail of some of his other books though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelations, Sept. 19 2000
By A Customer
This is the BEST book I have read on raising boys. Biddulph writes in a clear, crisp voice making it easy for anyone to understand the fine art of being a male. He has made me realize how and why my husband and son are the same in some ways and very different in others. Girls are not ignored here, either. He compares and contrasts the two, so subtle differences are made just as obvious as the not-so-subtle ones. He takes time show why the two can act and/or react differently in the same situations. Everyone, especially teachers, should read this great book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different - and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.02