march boutiques-francophones SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis sports Tools ca_ty_gno Music Deals Store

on July 18, 2008
I've read the five most popular books on the topic of raising boys recently and this one is the best by far. It has all the information of the other books with none of the filler. It also has what the other books don't have: proactive advice and suggestions that really make sense and really make a difference. The writing style is light and fun and straight to the point. Very easy to get through and re-read as needed as your boys get older. Great information for being apart of the lives of boys aged birth to men, and helping them get from point A. to B.
on March 15, 2003
Even if you are a man, this book is a MUST read for anyone who has a boy or works with boys (teachers, coaches, etc). My husband and I read this in anticipation of the birth of our boy (I am 6 months pregnant) and we can't stop discussing what we've learned!
Biddulph takes you through the key stages in a boy's development, explaining in an easy to read format what can be done to assist boys in learning and developing into healthy, happy people. He explains the difference between what girls need and what boys need and how to help boys reach their potential.
After you read this, you will be like us - you will be buying this for everyone you know who is around boys! The best I've read on the subject. Can't wait to read his other books...
on August 26, 2002
The stories are enchanting, and the information interesting. This is not a "how to" book, however. Instead, it is a general overview with many particular examples and explanations. The author's recommendations are straightforward and affirming, to fathers, mothers, and sons. He cares for and accepts the foibles and modes of boyhood. Biddulph has a whole chapter on the effects of testosterone, and I thought that was a little overdone, since our humaneness, as he notes many times later in the book, is not biologically determined.
on May 1, 1999
We have a 5 year old son whom we quite agree is not ready for school yet compared to his niece of the same age which Steve attributes to his testosterone cycle. He can read very well but is just not ready to sit down to do writing especially going through with writing Chinese characters. He is full of beans even after school and simply wants to move around and have plenty of activities. Thoroughly enjoy reading this book and will be one that my wife and I will keep refering to every now and then to help him grow from boyhood to manhood.
on September 18, 2013
This is a lovely book - intelligently and sensitively written without being melodramatic or prescriptive. The author supports his insights with research findings and generally presents a balanced view on controversial issues. I would recommend this book to anyone raising boys, but also to anyone in general because it explains a lot about male psychology.
on January 4, 2002
As a first time expecting parent of a boy I have many concerns. My biggest one being that I am single and will be raisig my new son without a father. This book stresses the importance of male role models but also helped give me many alternatives to a father. Now I feel better knowing ways I can do things to help make up for him not having a father and that things can work out just as well. Plus the book also covers areas such as gender differences, sexuality, and how to help him in everyday life and what he needs in a parent(s)as well as from other people in his life. This book has given me confidence that I can raise him well. I recommend this book highly to single mothers who are concerned about male role models for their son and also to first time parents of boys.
on May 30, 2002
I found this book very helpful in understanding the developmental needs of boys as they mature through the three different stages the author describes. In addition, it addressed issues specific to the single mother which is an enlightening trend. A nice aid in guiding positive development, especially for Moms!
on August 21, 2000
I very much enjoyed the book. clearly written, easy to read. Good insights and suggestions. I do question though some of the statments in the book. for example it is stated at one point that boys get periods of deafness due to growth spruts... I have found no support for that although I know many teenage boys who appear to be deaf at times. Overall good book worth reading...
on January 23, 2001
I LOVED this book so much that I found myself quoting from it to my friends and family. Raising Boys is packed with information that is easy and fun to read. Through the entire book, I could identify traits that not only opened my eyes to behavior from my own two sons and other males in my life (their friends, my brothers, etc.), but has shown me ways to handle or respond to both their positive and negative behavior! Steven Biddulph also explains the biological differences between boys and girls without being sexist!
I recommend this information packed and yet humorous book to anyone who has a boy or knows a boy of any age. This should be required reading for all teachers!
This is a book that I find myself picking up over and over again to reinforce the information I have learned. It's really made a difference in my understanding of the male species, and how I interact with them.
on September 19, 2000
This is the BEST book I have read on raising boys. Biddulph writes in a clear, crisp voice making it easy for anyone to understand the fine art of being a male. He has made me realize how and why my husband and son are the same in some ways and very different in others. Girls are not ignored here, either. He compares and contrasts the two, so subtle differences are made just as obvious as the not-so-subtle ones. He takes time show why the two can act and/or react differently in the same situations. Everyone, especially teachers, should read this great book!