5.0 out of 5 stars Your War Chest Against Cancer
A very dear friend of mine gave me this fabulous cookbook during the Christmas holidays called 'Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavour Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery' by Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson.

Published on Nov. 15 2011 by Stayabreast

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so
Nothing new; the other book One bite at a time is much better.
No need to purchase both. Shipping and handling charges are exhorbitant!!!
Published 13 months ago by Linda Carfagnini

5.0 out of 5 stars Your War Chest Against Cancer, Nov. 15 2011
This review is from: The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery (Hardcover)

Since my diagnosis of Breast Cancer in October 2010, I have been given and purchased many cookbooks, reference guides to leading a healthier, active lifestyle, etc' I think I am covered for the next 9 months in terms of research and enjoyable reading! However, I thought it important to pass this along as it is one of those books that your family would benefit wholly from. What sets this cookbook apart from others is its unique approach to your kitchen and converting your refrigerator into its own cancer-fighting battle ground plus how to take care of yourself during Chemotherapy treatment.

From Chapter One's Cancer-Fighting Tool Kit and learning things about the four pantry staples, to easing side effects from treatment to easy recipes to relieving symptoms such as anemia, constipation, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. There is something about everything in terms of easing this tough period of a patients life.

And one of the perks of this Chapter, apart from the delicious recipes, is the Culinary Pharmacy section starting on page 28. It's your very own cheat-list to adding immunity boosting spices, seeds, and nuts to meals you may have only added mild seasoning to such as salt and pepper.

It also includes very important vegetables most recognized as natural anti-inflammatories, digestions aids, nausea reducers, anti-bacterials, appetite stimulators, and NF-kB regulators.

My personal favourite is learning the benefits of adding fresh and dry herbs to dishes and not just as last minute add-ins or garnishes. You learn not only their medicinal characteristics but additional ways to use them to extract their full potential as your very own food-warriors!

I love the spice Cumin, commonly used in Indian and Asian foods. Knowing now that it is an appetite stimulant, digestion aid, antimicrobial and NF-kB regulator prompts me to use more of it not only within my own dishes but to make sure it's properly introduced into my children's diets and NOW! 'Studies looking into cumin seeds showed a potential ability to slow down the growth of stomach and cervical tumors' (page 34).

And take Sesame Seeds, just a sprinkle over your fruit, veggies, salads, whatever you decide, it becomes something other than just a garnish for flavour. They are considered an anti-inflammatory; they are rich in lignans which may protect against hormone-related cancers; they are rich in gamma-tocopherols, a form of vitamin E, which studies say may help men dealing with prostate cancer.

And let's talk about TOMATOES (powerful anti-oxidant lycopene), Butternut Squash (colon cleansing benefits), Spinach (carotenoids and kaempferol lowers risks in prostate and ovarian cancers) and Potatoes (Vitamin B6 and powerful detoxifier)! All major cancer-fighting vegetables that are common, easily found at the grocery store and easy to prepare ' just start at page 52 and you are on your way to healthier soups that serve a purpose!

I love the fact that Chapter Three: Nourishing Soups and Broths starts off with the 'Magic Mineral Broth', which Rebecca Katz refers to as her 'Rosetta stone of soup' - providing a perfect base for any hearty soup but more importantly it serves as a rejuvenating liquid, to help Chemo patients with dehydration issues and will certainly boost any immune system down from minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and even sodium. It allows the body to recoup and start afresh.

And please know this cookbook is current! I am making an admission, an ignorant one at that, I had no idea there were so many fabulous alternatives to grains such as Quinoa and Spelt both anti-inflammatories! Recipes for Quinoa Pilaf is found on page 149 and Beyond Just Good Cornbread, uses Spelt Flour, is found on page 129 ' good stuff!

I have to say I am believer now that food is our natural healer! Well, fresh unprocessed food heals us through out, and if prepared, cooked and consumed properly, we know food is the ultimate warrior in this battle against horrible diseases such as cancer.

I haven't promoted any cookbooks yet, but this will be my first and a great start to a whole new chapter in my own life. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen is a must have for all kitchens and remember most of the recipes are child friendly as well.

Be well and God Bless!
Written by Alexandra Wallace-Currie at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Information, Sept. 30 2010
D. Taylor (Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm going through chemotherapy and don't have a clue about what to eat for optimal health. This book, "The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery," is the answer to my quest. Nothing about Cancer is easy, but this book has helped me where I could find no help before. Practical help. I can't cook at present since I can't stand, but I can point to a page and ask my significant other to try to put it together. She tries hard, I'll give her that! Nothing about cooking is easy either, especially when one hasn't learned the Julia Child approach to life. This book makes a very challenging disease a little easier to manage. My many thanks to everyone who put it together - especially, of course, Rebecca katz! The photo's were great as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, Aug. 22 2013
Nothing new; the other book One bite at a time is much better.
No need to purchase both. Shipping and handling charges are exhorbitant!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable tool in my Kitchen, June 12 2012
I was sent this book when I was in the middle of my Chemo treatments. Although I read everything I could get my hands on during this time, this book was the first to let me know that I might loose my sense of taste...and it was right and I did.
I have since purchased another one so I can keep my copy and lend one to friends who need it.
Thank you for a great book that I would and do recommend to those who would use it.
It is now part of my regular kitchen cookbooks.
MaryJane :)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than A Cook Book!, Dec 31 2013
"The Cancer Fighting Kitchen..." is more than a cook book. It is well written and very helpful. There are lots of interesting tid bits about the different foods that make up the recipes. I would recommend this to anyone that is dealing with cancer, or is a caregiver for someone that has cancer!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must have in one's fight against Cancer, Nov. 6 2013
I purchased this book initially for my Mum who is fighting lung cancer. When we looked at it together I realized how much of a "go to guide" this book was going to be I purchased one for myself so I could help my Mum by making recipes and reminding her of the wonderful tips and advice the book provided.

She loves the book so much she has shared it with her oncology team and they are now going to include it in their list of recommended readings.

Julie - Toronto, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with information!, March 11 2013
The book is easy to use, has great recipes and I love the pictures of the tasty food. I have used the recipes as they are and also have changes them to suit what ingredients I have on hand, easy to use. I was pleased with all the information contained in this book as well. It helps to understand why certain foods are so important in the fight against cancer. I wish I had found this book years ago, perhaps I would be using it to prevent instead of fight cancer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 12 2014