5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping tale that is hard to put down.
Published on Nov. 16 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars What about Bitsy?
If your expecting to read a good vampire book, this one is not for you. If your already a RL fan than I recommend this book.
Published on July 18 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Laymon's Best, March 19 2007
This is actually the first Richard Laymon book I had ever read and it was so good, I became a huge fan of his and worked hard at getting everything he's written. This book reminded me of The Body by Stephen King, a horror story but more importantly a coming of age story. While the vampires are really secondary in this book, the three main teenage chracters and all the stuff they go through to see "The Travelling Vampire Show" is where the great writing is. This book introduced me to Laymon and I quickly became a huge fan! Other favorites of his are After Midnight, Body Rides and Ressurection Dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping tale that is hard to put down., Nov. 16 2005
By A Customer
This was the first book I had read by Richard Laymon. I found the paperback by accident while shopping in a grocery store. The cover sounded intriguing and so I decided to pick it up. After the first couple of pages, I could not put it down. The story involves the reader from the start and soon you are wrapped up in the lives of the main characters. The pace is great and keeps you hooked page after page. The characters are well written and developed. I could relate with all of them and found myself reading this book long after dark. Since then I have re-read it a few times and it always hooks me right back into the story. For anyone who loves horror, this is a great one to start with from Richard Laymon. His work is comparable to Bentley Little and Dean Koontz which are other great authors as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars What about Bitsy?, July 18 2004
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars This isn't a vampire book, June 25 2004
Ever seen the film _From Dusk Til Dawn_? In that so-called "vampire" movie, vampires don't enter the picture until the middlish-end, when, from out of nowhere, a hoard of a vampires storm into the plot and attack the characters. That's sort of what _The Traveling Vampire Show_ is like. It's not really a "vampire" book. It's more like _Stand By Me_, except with a girl and a love-sick adolescent main character. The vampire doesn't appear until the very end, and if you're the type of reader who likes suave, romantic Draculas, you will be very disappointed.
As far the writing goes, it's alright. It's not boring. It's just not a vampire book.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely great book, April 10 2004
Persephone (West Trenton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This book was excellent! The best vampire book I have read in years by far! The plot was orginally, story well written and engaging. Once you start this book you will not put it down until you are finished. I wish more people were writing great vampire literature such as this.

1.0 out of 5 stars No vampires, no horror, no action, no story!, March 2 2004
Salvatore Cangemi (Bayside, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I just started reading Laymon. I started with Loathsome Night in October and while not great, it was a good read full of cheap thrills and a need to know what would happen next. I'd compare it to the kind of stuff Bentley Little writes: not high art, kind of hokey and cheap but fun. So as my second Laymon read I decided on this because of all the great reviews. Mistake. First of all the characters, while being between 15 and 17, all act like little kids. I think the writer was not able to get to the "place" in his mind and messed up as far as how one reacts at one's age. But the real gripe with this book is the story...there is none. Seriously, the first 300 pages is the main three characters deciding whether or not to go to the show! It's one big circuitous mess for 80% of the book. No vampire action if that is what you're looking for. If you are looking for Laymon's signature cheap thrills, look else ware. No horror, no sex, no action. Just kids walking around town trying to decided if they should go to a show.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thirsty for blood, received glass of milk..., Dec 13 2003
Perhaps this was a clever little tale about childhood relationships, but I found none of the suspense or gruesome horror fun I craved. A campy, blandly entertaining book that lacks intensity and delivers the least interesting portrayal of vampires I have yet to see. If you are looking for a vampire novel, try salems lot or i am legend. The horror and suspense in this book is VERY tame!

1.0 out of 5 stars STOP! Save Your Money! You've Got To Believe Me!, Dec 9 2003
Darold Rudolph (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Stupid! Ridiculous! Moronic! Childish!, Don't believe the good reviews on this book they're lying to you! all of them liars!, either that or they have an IQ of 70 on a warm day (and that's being generous and polite). Richard Laymon's the most overrated (hack)horror writer out there(I've read 4 of his books and they all stunk), Read him only as a last resort or if you are easily entertained. Mr Laymon's writing style is immature, opportunistic, uncreative, sloppy, and plain old fashioned stupid. Please try "The Light at the End" by John Skip,Craig Spector or "Bring on the Night" by Jay Davis,Don Davis if you need a vampire fix, they are far superior.

4.0 out of 5 stars and you thought your childhood was screwed up..., Dec 4 2003
Lucas Bean (Hanover, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This book was all but perfect. It is a great story with a distinct feel of americana. During you truly find yourself rooting for the main character, who is quite likeable. This book delivers in the sense that by the end you are truly concerned about his welfare. The main lacking point in the ending. Laymon fails to tie up some of the loose ends which leaves the readers wondering well what happened next? All in all though a truly great book to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Oct. 22 2003
John D. Costanzo "johndc" (Bensalem, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I thought the premise was great but overall I was a disappointed. Perhaps I expected too much, but the book seemed cartoonish, reminding of an R-rated Scooby episode, the ending notwithstanding. The story is original and Laymon does a good job depicting the rural 60's setting. The characters are interesting, but their actions are sometimes puzzling and not believable. At times the teenagers acted like 10-year-old kids. If you are a big fan of vampire novels I think you should read this, but otherwise I can't recommend it.

The Traveling Vampire Show
The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon (Hardcover - May 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 8.65