5.0 out of 5 stars She's finally done it!
I may get a prize: I have read all of Olivia Goldsmith's novels. After the publication of her breakthrough bestseller, THE FIRST WIVES CLUB, her output has been uneven, to say the least. There have been a couple of gems; MARRYING MOM and THE BESTSELLER come to mind. Yet since WIVES, nothing else she has written comes close to evoking the contemporary feel of a...
Published on April 15 2001 by HeyJudy

3.0 out of 5 stars Turn About Is Fair Play...
Published on Sept. 3 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Turn About Is Fair Play..., Sept. 3 2003
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
Tracey has had a best friend of seven years, computer whiz John. For some unknown reason, Tracey has been out of one disastrous relationship after another, but cannot see that John would take her instantly. John's worth is 10 times that of the deadbeats she chooses. John finally asks Tracey for a make-over & tips on handling women, and after a few bumpy starts, becomes quite a lady killer, but a less likeable man. Tracey notices him now, but John is piqued because she only liked him AFTER the leather. However, John is not so blind as Tracey. He begins to apply all the things Tracey taught him about women on HER!
Several people have done reviews and said that Tracey is incredibly shallow. Well, they are right! But, you know, how many women do you know that have made the same mistake that Tracey does in the book? I could name at least a hundred off the top of my head! Tracey is not a bad person, just short-sighted. She doesn't know the difference between love & being used. And I'm afraid she's not alone...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and Disturbing, March 7 2003
J. Gray "jgray219" (Boardman, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Boy (Hardcover)
The premise of this book sounded great. It appeared to be a light, entertaining read. Then I read it... well most of it and then I put it in the GARAGE SALE PILE. The plot is predictable without any twists or diversions. Not only are the characters flat, most are ridiculuously unhealthy. The majority of the main character's (Tracie's) advice on how to get women is demeaning and juvenile. She actually encourages her male friend to be emotionally abusive as if it is charming. You just can't believe how she tells him to treat his dates! She tells him to be condescending,critical and demeaning. Everything from judging what they eat to hitting on other women when he's on a date. SHe encourages him to make women doubt themselves and it will keep them coming back for more. And in the process of giving her "friend" advice she shreds him apart as if he offers no endearing qualities at all. She's terribly mean! And all the while she is in the depths of a nowhere relationship with a complete loser. And she's content with the dumb, not deep, cheating, and manipulative "artist" because the (...) is good. Even dialogue is weak and forced. Uh, I could go on and on but this book isn't even worth the time. A DEFINATE BOOK TO AVOID!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Boy Review, Oct. 3 2002
S. Verachariya "aim" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
Bad boy is the first novel I have read by Olivia Goldsmith. This book is very enjoyable to read. The suspense captured me, and I never feel like putting the book down. Bad Boy is about a newspaper journalist, Tracie Higgins, who always falls in love with the 'bad boy' type of men. On the other hand, her best friend is Jon, a successful computer geek who works almost 24 hours a day at a company similar to Microsoft. Jon is fed up with women thinking of him as too nice, sweet or perfect to date. He convinces his best friend Tracie to try to change him into a bad boy. With her great talent and experience with bad boys, she turns Jon into a hot bad boy that attracts most of the women in Seattle, including Tracie.
I enjoyed reading this book very much not only because it is about romance, but also because of the irony in how a girl does a make over on her guy friend. She tries to hook him up with her friends, and eventually falls in love with him herself. What I like the most about this novel is the overall plot. The ending is predictable as soon as you have finished reading half of the novel. In addition, the dialogue is funny, such as when Jon keeps repeating the lines he needed to say to his date.
I would recommend this book to teenagers because the novel is something similar to an adolescent life. I'm sure they will not get bored or stop reading in the middle of the book. Also, I would recommend this not just to teenagers, but also to people who like to read romantic stories. I'm sure you'll find this book no less enjoyable than I did.

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected better than this, Oct. 2 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read--and LOVED--"The First Wives Club", I had high hopes for this book. I'd seen it in a local store and decided to buy it when I got the chance as it sounded like a really good read. Sorry to say I have to agree with betty jones (see review above). Maybe it's because I'm almost 41 and the characters are all in their 20's, but I think Tracie is one of the most shallow, obnoxious heroines I've ever come across in a novel. For heaven's sake, she's only 105 pounds and constantly dieting and in the gym! At one point she says Molly is "too old" for Jon--even though Jon is 28 and Molly is in her early thirties. What's that, about a four- or five-year age difference? Give me a break. These whiners definitely need to grow up already. The only character I could remotely relate to is Laura. She seems a lot like me, as she loves to cook and she's curvaceous. All I can say is thank goodness I'm no longer in my 20's, because if I had to deal with most of these people on a daily basis I'd go nuts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Insipid, banal, sophomoric- and then it got worse., July 18 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
I was attracted to the cover of this book as it sat on the New Fiction shelf at the library where I work. After reading the description, I should have known better, but decided to broaden my horizons and do a little "beach reading". After the first 3 chapters, I wanted to put the book down. Tracie was obnoxious, juvenile and I had an impossible time believing that she was out of high school. Do grown women actually act like this? I've never met one so completely, frustratingly moronic. Jon- talk about a one-dimensional character. Gosh, a computer nerd who works 80 hours a week and hasn't gotten laid since the Reagan administration- how unique.
Their relationship was implausible, as was their dialogue, their jobs, their friends, etc etc etc.
After a few more chapters, I kept groaning to my husband who said, "Just put it down. Give up!" But I never put a book down. This should have been a first.
I was disturbed by Jon's bed hopping. Given the fact that all Tracie's friends/ Jon's conquests knew about each other, could EVERY SINGLE ONE have been so taken in by "Jonny"'s amazing charms that they didn't care???? Could all of them have been so repulsively spineless and brainless that they couldn't have a backbone and be a real woman and get a REAL man?
There were absolutely no likeable characters, the plotline was straight out of a bad 80s movie (and apparently another book!) and the errors were glaring. Worst part is, if you read the acknowledgements Goldsmith actually thanks someone for the info on Seattle "hot spots".
Ugh. My first book by Goldsmith and it would take some strong convincing to get me to pick up another. I will be recommending to everyone I know- if you must read this book, get it at the library: the fact that it's free dampens the pain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny and Fast Paced..., April 14 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
It has the common used plot of a geek turned bad boy with his best friend a woman who makes him over and realizes she is in love with him, but I loved it. I read this book in a day. It is very fast-paced and full of real witty dialog that had me going til the end. I would've given the book 5 stars, but my complaint? Well, the female lead of Tracie (same name as me, so I thought this alone was cool, lol) was somewhat rude at times to the male lead of Jonathan, or Jon. She was his best friend and only friend and depended on him for support and his genuine friendship, but she kinda took him for granted in so many ways that I found myself cringing at times.
She continually pointed out to his face how inadaquate he was and how stupid he dressed and looked. She kept telling him how corny and boring he was and how he needed to get a life. I felt bad for Jon and wished he would've said to her that she was a lousy friend. But enough of the complaints, the book was fun beyond words and had me laughing and in the end biting my nails to find out what would happen(even though I already knew the typical plot).
~Tracie Higgins is a writer and journalist and works for a sucessful newspaper in Seattle. She has a cool boyfriend that plays in a band and is a typical 'bad boy'. But she also has a best friend named Jonathan who is a guy and is definately NOT a bad boy. Her problem? He wants HER to make over HIM from geek to heartthrob! Can she do it? All bets are on and what Tracie dicovers makes her heart beat faster...
Jon, is quiet and a good friend and son. Son to about 8 ex-stepmoms to be exact and friend to one. But Jon hasn't followed in his 'bad boy' father's footsteps. He works for Micro/Con, a company a lot like Microsoft. He has stocks and makes great money but works hellish hours. He looks forward to his nightly get togethers with his very best friend Tracie at the local diner on Sunday nights. He loves Tracie very much, but Tracie doesn't quite realize just how much he loves her... He finds himself fed up with his life at 28 years old and wants a change. Who to do this right? Tracie of course. She is notorious for dating 'bad boys' and knows what women crave.
After convincing Tracie on bended knee and some begging, she has commited herself to making him a classic bad boy. But when she succeeds and half of Seattle's women are after him, Jon has no time for her. Tracie also sees what has been in front of her face all these years and it makes her stomach flip-flop. Tracie will have to take some inventory on her life and decide what she wants and what she wants is Jon...
Worth the money, great book for the beach or a warm afternoon. This would be a great movie :) I am looking forward to reading more of Ms. Goldsmith's books...
Tracy Talley~@

3.0 out of 5 stars Too predictable, April 5 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Hardcover)
I love Olivia Goldsmith's books ~~ she has a saucy way of writing that just draws the reader into the world she has created ... but I am sad to say that this book isn't one of them. It's a big disappointment because I really was looking forward to reading this book!! However, if you're looking for a fun twist on romantic comedy ~~ this book isn't it.
Tracie always go for the bad boy ~~ the tough guy who treats his women like dirt ~~ and they keep coming back for more. Jon, her best friend, is desperate to get a date ~~ so he asked Tracie for a makeover into a bad boy ~~ only to discover women were falling for him or is it for his bad boy image?
Goldsmith explores the phenomenon on why women are attracted to the "bad boy" and not the nice boys, like Jon. But she didn't go into depth ~~ it's almost as if she wrote this book in a hurry as it's not typical of her writing style at all.
It's still a good read ~~ but save it for the afternoon at the beach.
4-5-02

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Boy or just bad?, March 14 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
I had never read a book by Olivia Goldsmith before and if her others are like "Bad Bay", I doubt I ever will. Okay, so like other reviewers pointed out, there are a few editing errors. I can forgive that. However, a books that is focused on the lives of two main characters that you can't stand creates a problem. Tracie is a newspaper journalist who is perpetually attracted to bad boys who will use her and loose her. All the while, she is telling her self and the world that when Phil calls her stupid, he means that he loves her. UGH!!! Jon is a successful computer geek. Or any women's dream. For seven years, he has listened to all Tracie's heartbreaks and can remember ever detail. Only problem, he can't get even get a date. So, he appeals to Tracie for help. She successfully transforms him into a jerk. When she realizes what she has done and of course, that Jon is who SHE really wants, will it be too late?
Like I said, the characters in "Bad Boy" were just annoying. However, I will say that a decent plot line keeps this books going. I wanted to finish it, at least. It also served it's purpose of being a light, quick read.Maybe not so totally terrible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Anyone Edit this Mess?, March 5 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
As someone who has enjoyed previous Goldsmith novels, I was seriously appalled and disappointed by this one. Others have written much about why it disappoints, so I'll try not to repeat all of those observations.
However, I must reiterate the most glaring error in a book filled with errors (that reader review was written long enough ago that it's probably not read much now):
Jon (who is being made over by Tracie from geek to hottie) goes to the SEATTLE-TACOMA airport to practice hitting on women (which is an odd choice to begin with). He reads the arrivals board and notices a flight has come in from...Tacoma! How miraculous.
Really, all an editor would have had to do is look at a map, for crying out loud, to see that Tacoma and Seattle are too close together to fly from one to the other (and might have even found out that they share an airport). Not that Goldsmith couldn't have done so herself and saved the editor the trouble...There are numerous other Seattle-related mistakes, but that's the most preventable, unforgivable and ridiculous.
Also worth repeating: Everything about the "newsroom" (fluffroom is more like it) was wrong, wrong, wrong. No respectable editor tells his/her reporter to include "as many advertisers as possible" in her story, no matter how fluffy that story may be. (Note I am talking about respectable newspapers. For all I know it may happen unapologetically at some "shopper"-type rags, but I haven't spent any time at those -- just in real newsrooms.)
Another thing: When sexual harrassment occurs in this day and age, it's a little more subtle. Heck, people even get in trouble for the subtle stuff some of the time! No one who acted in the manner of Tracie's boss would last a week in a job like that. And even if he did, Tracie and her co-workers would be idiots not to sue him. But I guess depicting a sleazy boss with enough subtlety to make him believable might have required some effort -- and this book has "toss-off" written all over it.
This book is so annoyingly bad that it doesn't even qualify as a "fun read." A few mildly amusing scenes do not a fun read make. Save your money and send the publishing world a message.

2.0 out of 5 stars Since When Does Goldsmith Write for Harlequin????, Jan. 29 2002
This review is from: Bad Boy (Mass Market Paperback)
Oh... sorry... I guess it just seemed that way. Considering that Goldsmith is usually known for writing novels (i.e. books with actual plots), this was a far cry from her earlier ventures which I have enjoyed for the light fluff reading they are. This, however, was nauseatingly predictable a la Harlequin, et al. While not completely terrible, it was a far cry from Goldsmith's usual wit (see Young Wives as an example)and its characters were cardboard flat. Tracie is hardly an exemplary young woman and Jon turns into a complete male slut. I found it hard to believe that anyone who was initially that sweet and good could do such a 180-degree turn. Very unlikely.
Additionally, who the heck edited this thing? For instance: on one page, it said Tracie stood up to leave. On the very next page, about two paragraphs later, it says "they got up to leave". At one point, Jon mentions how Tracie was there when he bought his condominium. At the next, Tracie is griping about Jon's "exorbitant rent". Etc. Etc. The lack of fine tuning on this book is blatantly evident, which makes for a bad read.
One last thing, what kind of sexual ethics do these people have? Jon has slept with several of Tracie's friends, yet this doesn't bother her in the least, nor does it bother her that her best friend may be getting ready to follow the same route with Phil, Tracie's ex. And most disgusting of all, Jon sleeps with Allison and then goes straight to Tracie's bed... and she KNOWS he just crawled out of Allison's bed. Of course, then again, she crawls right back into bed with Phil, so I guess they're all just one big happy sperm bank. Disgusting.

BAD BOY (LIBR. ED.) (7 CASS.)
BAD BOY (LIBR. ED.) (7 CASS.) by Olivia Goldsmith (Audio Cassette - Dec 28 2000)
CDN$ 102.95 CDN$ 82.36