5.0 out of 5 stars I just found a new recipe for a delicious mystery.
This was my introduction to Goldilock's deadly catering experiences. It so enticed my taste buds that I ordered every delectable book Diane Mott Davidson has served up so far, and am now chronologically devouring each and every one.
Published on Dec 30 1997 by Nicki D.

3.0 out of 5 stars This one's a bit over the top
Published on Dec 5 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars This one's a bit over the top, Dec 5 2000
By A Customer
I love the Goldy series, and will continue to read them because the wonderfully imperfect Goldy seems like someone you'd want to be friends with. For that reason, I don't even mind her plot lines, which are occasionally the literary equivalent of watching paint dry. LOTS of insignificant details about her daily life, although again, it adds to that "visiting with a good pal" feel of the series.
However, this time Diane Mott Davidson went overboard in an attempt to liven the action! Goldy would be doing major prison time if she really did what this plot has her doing, not to mention that the state would (and should) remove Arch from her home for child endangerment. Yeeks.
That said, I LOVE the Macguire Perkins character, he's an utter goof and much more interesting than the anxiety-laden Julian. More of Macguire, please! And while you're at it, more of the sweet, heart-warming intimations of marital intimacy between Goldy and the bear-like Tom. Now, THAT'S yummy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Goldy's back in real Colorado -- makes for a fun read, Nov. 17 2000
Carol Peterson Hennekens (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of the Goldy series (as read by Barbara Rosenblatt on tape). I was disappointed with "Killer Pancake" which just didn't click for me. In "The Main Corpse", Diane and Goldy are back in real Colorado and doing much better.
The key pieces of this puzzle include a very rainy June (we had more than one in the 1990's), a gold mine, a shady stock offering (Colorado was infamous for them in the 1980's), and lots of running around in the mountains.
The plots in this series are typically not the main reason to read the books. What I really enjoy is Goldy's "voice" as she tells her stories and the way she portrays the up and down sides of life here in Colorado. Both aspects are in fine shape in this mystery.
One caution to those who may be thinking of picking up this book for a first read of this series. This series, more than most, is a continuing affair as Goldy and her family and friends mature. It's well worth it to start with her first book, Catering to Nobody, and working your way through the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just found a new recipe for a delicious mystery., Dec 30 1997
Nicki D. (Foothills of the Sierras) - See all my reviews
The author tosses up a story with just a dash of "amature detective" interference from our fiesty caterer; adds a pinch of "woman's intuition"; a sprinkling of admiration from her cop/husband; a garnish of his own good detective skills and dishes up a great mystery which will definitely challenge your deductive powers. She also invites you, the reader, into the personal and private lives of Goldy, Arch and Tom.
I have become so involved in Goldy's dream of a successful catering business; Arch's necessary growing pains; Tom's love for Goldy and his respect for her need for the time and space to pursue her dream - that I enjoy those parts which may drift away from the mystery almost as much as the mystery itself.
If you enjoy a good suspense-filled whodunit, with a variety of suspects, a somewhat comedic "what can go wrong next" attitude, deliciously decadent recipes and a cast of real "non-perfect" human characters . . . then this is a Must Read!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good recipes, story a bit lacking, Feb. 14 2003
I like the Goldy (Bear) Schulz character - I've read most of the books in this seiries. But for some reason, her character did not seem to be the character I expected. In this book, she aggressively takes more risks with herself as well as her son and that seemed to be out of place for her character.
No matter - the recipes, as always were great but there seemed to be a plot piece missing in this particular book. If you're interested in the seiries, this is not the book to start off with. Some reocmmend reading the books in chronological order and I'd have to agree with that point. I read them out of order. Some events in past books are referred to in the later books and unless you read them, it doesn't make sense to you.
This is a good read, not as good as the others, but the recipes are fantastic. M's Davidson should really bring out a Goldy (Bear) Schulz cookbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars A dark entry in the Goldy series, Jan. 25 1999
Nancy A. Fox (West Covina, CA USA) - See all my reviews
A dreary and somewhat depressing book, without the fun sparkle of other books in the series. Even "The Last Suppers", where Goldy's groom is abducted minutes before their wedding is more cheery than this book.
Perhaps the constant rain and gloom depicted in the story just pervaded the feel of this book. Goldy's best friend, Marla, is accused of murdering her boyfriend and his business partner, because she'd lost so much money in their financial investments. It's up to Goldy, The General, Arch and his new dog Jake the Bloodhound to prove the charge wrong.
Not a bad book, but not quite up to the fun of the other Goldy mysteries. The recipes are wonderful as always, and I can't wait until strawberry season so that I can try the Sugar-snap pea and Strawberry salad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Delectable but a little off the mark, Aug. 12 2001
By A Customer
I have truly loved reading the Goldy Schulz murder series, however, this one wasn't one of Diane Mott Davidson's best. The conclusion was a little unbelieverable and it seemed clumsily done. It just didn't seem real that everything fell in too place as Goldy comes up with a dangerous and outrageous way to catch the villain of the story. Ms. Davidson's ending seemed more like the ones you see on a TV mystery like Murder, She Wrote.
Even though this one was a little off the mark, it will not stop me from continuing to read more Goldy mysteries. I want to continue to follow her ever-imaginative detective strategies, see if Julian comes back, and as always, obtain additional scrumptious recipes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Naive Miss G., Aug. 8 2003
By A Customer
Like many others who are complaining about this book, I love all of the other ones that I have read by the author. This one on the other hand not only was unbelievable, but I kept waiting for Tom (who really is a great guy) to decide to divorce his lovely Goldie. Between deciding that she is a much better cop than Tom and the totally corrupt police department that belongs in some other country--this was by far the worst of the lot. I am not real fond of Macguire either--bring back Julian PLEASE! Even the recipes in this one were not anything special...if you are reading this book as the first one of the series--don't give up! The others are Much better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mystery Great Recipies, July 24 1997
N. Sausser "pucksau" (California) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of Ms. Davidson's books. Next to DYING FOR CHOCOLATE this is my favorite. I missed Goldy's previous helper Julian, but Macquire Perkins is a good new addition. I liked the action in this one...more intense than in previous books. Another new character I especially liked was Jake the dog. His exquisite bloodhound nose was invaluable in solving this one. The recipes, as always, are great. I've already made the gourmet dog biscuits and now my dog's favorite author is Ms. Davidson. The only problem with these books is that I get hungry and snack too much while reading about Goldy cooking up yummy stuff in her kitchen..

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 and 1/2 stars!, June 21 2000
This mystery has Goldy the caterer involved in a murder in which her best friend is being charged. Somehow Goldy, her family, friends and clients become entangled in a financial swindling scheme that keeps the pages turning! Her new assistant tries to help with some investigating on his own until things turn deadly, and people begin to disappear. Her friend Marla's brother-in-law is a wonderfully interesting character, who would do anything to repair his relationship with Marla. Goldy still manages to turn out some wonderful recipes in spite of all the turmoil. Great mystery and full of interesting facts about mines!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainly Good, But..., May 8 2000
By A Customer
It's always fun to read a new Diane Mott Davidson mystery and her recipes are mouth-watering, which is mainly why I buy, instead of borrow, her books.
I love the continuing saga of Goldy Schultz, Caterer, but the "thrilling conclusion" of this one left me confused and a little irritated.
She broke someone out of jail and hijacked an ambulance, assisted in assaulting the driver and NOTHING punitive happened to her? The indulgent police force of Furman County just shook their heads in fond exasperation and let her go?
Come on - let's stay within the boundaries of common sense.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Main Corpse
The Main Corpse by Diane Mott Davidson (Audio Cassette - May 29 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 35.78