Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on May 27, 2004
Unlike most of the other reviewers, I did not dislike this book. I thought the story had energy and speed. Goldy immediately takes an active interest in the murder mystery as she knows that her friend is going to be implicated. This story gives Goldy a chance to show how intelligent a detective she really is.
I gave it only four stars because: I do feel that there were some issues between Goldy and her husband that went unanswered at the end. Since it is a series, I can accept that. And I wasn't happy that one of my favorite characters died.
on February 14, 2003
I like the Goldy (Bear) Schulz character - I've read most of the books in this seiries. But for some reason, her character did not seem to be the character I expected. In this book, she aggressively takes more risks with herself as well as her son and that seemed to be out of place for her character.
No matter - the recipes, as always were great but there seemed to be a plot piece missing in this particular book. If you're interested in the seiries, this is not the book to start off with. Some reocmmend reading the books in chronological order and I'd have to agree with that point. I read them out of order. Some events in past books are referred to in the later books and unless you read them, it doesn't make sense to you.
This is a good read, not as good as the others, but the recipes are fantastic. M's Davidson should really bring out a Goldy (Bear) Schulz cookbook.
on November 17, 2000
I'm a big fan of the Goldy series (as read by Barbara Rosenblatt on tape). I was disappointed with "Killer Pancake" which just didn't click for me. In "The Main Corpse", Diane and Goldy are back in real Colorado and doing much better.
The key pieces of this puzzle include a very rainy June (we had more than one in the 1990's), a gold mine, a shady stock offering (Colorado was infamous for them in the 1980's), and lots of running around in the mountains.
The plots in this series are typically not the main reason to read the books. What I really enjoy is Goldy's "voice" as she tells her stories and the way she portrays the up and down sides of life here in Colorado. Both aspects are in fine shape in this mystery.
One caution to those who may be thinking of picking up this book for a first read of this series. This series, more than most, is a continuing affair as Goldy and her family and friends mature. It's well worth it to start with her first book, Catering to Nobody, and working your way through the series.
on June 21, 2000
This mystery has Goldy the caterer involved in a murder in which her best friend is being charged. Somehow Goldy, her family, friends and clients become entangled in a financial swindling scheme that keeps the pages turning! Her new assistant tries to help with some investigating on his own until things turn deadly, and people begin to disappear. Her friend Marla's brother-in-law is a wonderfully interesting character, who would do anything to repair his relationship with Marla. Goldy still manages to turn out some wonderful recipes in spite of all the turmoil. Great mystery and full of interesting facts about mines!
on January 10, 1999
Both my passions in one place, cooking and murder. Story line may be a little unbelievable, but works for me. Recipes are worth keeping and don't detract from the mystery at hand.