countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on March 2, 2016
I have all of Diane Mott Davidson's books. In fact I hope she may write some more books with Goldy Schultz character. I highly recommend any and all of her books, but some I enjoy more than others. You won't go wrong with any of her books. I enjoy her recipes however because Goldy is a catering chef, the recipes list expensive items that you may only use once. I find other authors put more affordable recipes. This is one of my peeves with her books. Overall good writing.
on September 14, 2014
J'aime
on May 27, 2004
Unlike most of the other reviewers, I did not dislike this book. I thought the story had energy and speed. Goldy immediately takes an active interest in the murder mystery as she knows that her friend is going to be implicated. This story gives Goldy a chance to show how intelligent a detective she really is.
I gave it only four stars because: I do feel that there were some issues between Goldy and her husband that went unanswered at the end. Since it is a series, I can accept that. And I wasn't happy that one of my favorite characters died.
on August 26, 2003
"The Main Corpse" is one of Davidson's lesser efforts in the Goldy Bear Schulz series, but still lively enough to make it worth your while. Marla goes to jail in this one, and Julian is off at school, replaced by Maguire, son of the headmaster of Elk Park Prep School.

It's a western plot involving a gold mine and a false assay, various dubious characters, and of course, front and center, food and recipes. Recommended.
on August 8, 2003
Like many others who are complaining about this book, I love all of the other ones that I have read by the author. This one on the other hand not only was unbelievable, but I kept waiting for Tom (who really is a great guy) to decide to divorce his lovely Goldie. Between deciding that she is a much better cop than Tom and the totally corrupt police department that belongs in some other country--this was by far the worst of the lot. I am not real fond of Macguire either--bring back Julian PLEASE! Even the recipes in this one were not anything special...if you are reading this book as the first one of the series--don't give up! The others are Much better!
on February 14, 2003
I like the Goldy (Bear) Schulz character - I've read most of the books in this seiries. But for some reason, her character did not seem to be the character I expected. In this book, she aggressively takes more risks with herself as well as her son and that seemed to be out of place for her character.
No matter - the recipes, as always were great but there seemed to be a plot piece missing in this particular book. If you're interested in the seiries, this is not the book to start off with. Some reocmmend reading the books in chronological order and I'd have to agree with that point. I read them out of order. Some events in past books are referred to in the later books and unless you read them, it doesn't make sense to you.
This is a good read, not as good as the others, but the recipes are fantastic. M's Davidson should really bring out a Goldy (Bear) Schulz cookbook.
on February 10, 2003
The recipes sound great, but I found the plot unbelievable and contrived. Having read most of the other books in this series I felt like I knew Goldy Schultz. The things she does in The Main Corpse are out-of-character for her and just plain stupid.
on December 31, 2002
This is the first book by Diane Mott Davidson that I've attempted. I struggled through the first 90 pages, and then decided it wasn't worth my time. Maybe if I had read earlier books in the series and I was more invested in the characters, I would have enjoyed it. But as it is, I couldn't make myself care about what was going on. However, I highly recommend the recipe for Rainy Day Chicken Soup; it's fabulous.
on July 21, 2002
I have really enjoyed reading Diane Mott Davidson, but this book was so frustrating to read! Reading throug 10 pages of soup taste testing almost sent me over the edge. This was the most boring book I have read in a long time. Reading the reviews, I was sure I had read a different book than those giving the book a 5 star rating. Wow!
on August 12, 2001
I have truly loved reading the Goldy Schulz murder series, however, this one wasn't one of Diane Mott Davidson's best. The conclusion was a little unbelieverable and it seemed clumsily done. It just didn't seem real that everything fell in too place as Goldy comes up with a dangerous and outrageous way to catch the villain of the story. Ms. Davidson's ending seemed more like the ones you see on a TV mystery like Murder, She Wrote.
Even though this one was a little off the mark, it will not stop me from continuing to read more Goldy mysteries. I want to continue to follow her ever-imaginative detective strategies, see if Julian comes back, and as always, obtain additional scrumptious recipes.